Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Kit Recommendations

There are as many ways to pack a Cali as there are Calis! Search the forum for some options, this might be a good place to start:
Just to give you an idea:
We use under the sink/hob for everything food related.
The bench drawer (we call the cellar) is sectioned with the fabric ikea things, and this has games, books, the front window blinds, charging cables, errr... Can't remember what else is in there!
The cupboard above the bench (the attic) is PJs and warm clothing.
Wardrobe is clothes.
Rear cupboard has towels, wash kit, loo roll, first aid kit, simple tools, spare bulbs.

You can get manual machines to use nespresso capsules!
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01M4J94WY/?tag=eliteelect-21
Wow!!!

And a portable nespresso. What next? Garlic bread?

• Haha
Reactions: Sad
We have got both a driveaway and a safari room. Got the safari room from the California club shop. Wanted to be able to put it up by myself, they let me play in the showroom. We use the driveaway when we aren't using the bikes.
Our last trip we took the safari room as we were camping for one night.....ended up 3 nights and we were putting it up in the dark, got really good at it.

We use the SOTO Helix and filters for our coffee as we like our Japanese camping kit. A good option if you like to keep things compact :)

Reactions: Sad
On the awning front I’ve got a vango tolga which is quick to put up being air and doesn’t take up much space - I usually strap it to the floor behind the passenger seat as it’s the first thing out of the van. Just because you have one it doesn’t mean you have to use it - I only use it if I’m away for a week at a time. On the equipment front mine includes vanessa window bags; a pull out rear tray (I made my own); a Dometic cfx 35 fridge; a Primus Tupike stove; a Weber go anywhere charcoal BBQ, sea to summit collapsible plates, bowls and cups cups; some titanium cutlery; a sharp foldable knife; a decent knife for cutting wood (sometimes I take a small axe); trangia billie set; really handy storage boxes; a decent titanium French press for coffe; a fatboy lamsac blow up sofa: a good head torch (e.g. fenix); a couple of rugs; sleeping bags; and usual personal items like a kindle and iPad. For me I prefer compact lightweight camping gear which takes very little space - it’s not cheap but lasts a lifetime.

On the awning front I’ve got a vango tolga which is quick to put up being air and doesn’t take up much space - I usually strap it to the floor behind the passenger seat as it’s the first thing out of the van. Just because you have one it doesn’t mean you have to use it - I only use it if I’m away for a week at a time. On the equipment front mine includes vanessa window bags; a pull out rear tray (I made my own); a Dometic cfx 35 fridge; a Primus Tupike stove; a Weber go anywhere charcoal BBQ, sea to summit collapsible plates, bowls and cups cups; some titanium cutlery; a sharp foldable knife; a decent knife for cutting wood (sometimes I take a small axe); trangia billie set; really handy storage boxes; a decent titanium French press for coffe; a fatboy lamsac blow up sofa: a good head torch (e.g. fenix); a couple of rugs; sleeping bags; and usual personal items like a kindle and iPad. For me I prefer compact lightweight camping gear which takes very little space - it’s not cheap but lasts a lifetime.
Yep, thumbs up for compact quality camping gear. The Tupike is on my list!

I bought a Cali to avoid putting up a tent. If you are determined to undermine this advantage try a Cinch pop up. Doesn't attach, hence easier life, and takes a few seconds to put up or down. Suits my family of 4 plus dog.

The Tupike is on my list!
It’s a great stove - well built, plenty of power, controllable heat level, easy to clean and reasonably compact (all be it not as compact as my titanium Primus multi-fuel stove but a bit more practical for longer family trips).

For us we have the tiniest Decathlon pop up tent which I put up as soon as we arrive. The kids car seats, bbqs, prams and whatever immediately go in there to free up space. Then I put the roof up and put our bedding up there. Then I sit down and have a beer or Normandy cider. We have the Decathlon Seconds pop up shelter for longer trips or places we think it will rain (Brittany), now sold as the Cinch. They’re very popular.
I could never understand why I would attach a giant tent to the van. Why did I get a campervan to attach a tent to it? Plus we sometimes go to 9 sites in 14 days so an awning would slow us down. Others love them. We usually camp in France where it’s sunny so it’s warm enough to sit in the open. I guess if you camp in the UK people might feel differently.

We use "cubes"for packing our clothes in helps keep the stuff to a minimum but contained
Yep. Packing cubes for the rear wardrobe shelves are a great solution

It’s a great stove - well built, plenty of power, controllable heat level, easy to clean and reasonably compact (all be it not as compact as my titanium Primus multi-fuel stove but a bit more practical for longer family trips).
I bought our Tupike in the Autumn and looking forward to using it next week.

I would massively recommend the wardrobe shelves kit. Really improved our use of that space.

45A8AC41-1CD0-49C5-9EDE-FC344DDDF310.jpeg

94327FF9-A5C5-4C96-BCBD-9B444D04A004.jpeg
There’s more room when the seats swivelled.

D4F73AC7-7E15-4739-8368-3640430ECEF0.jpeg

View attachment 91022Ridgemonkey is brilliant - this was our first meal in our new van. Awnings are a bit marmite. We have a Vango Galli 2 Compact - ideal for 2 of us with a dog. Airbeams make a big difference, I was able to put it up in 10 minutes on my own (to the point that stuff could be put in it) and another 10 mins to finish all guylines and pegs. Ikea Kugis are ideal for cupboards - lots of different options available now in terms of colours and sizes. After our first weekend away we bought the wardrobe shelves from Yes Campervans - for usbthey make the wardrobe usefulbrather than being a dumping ground.
One of the Kugis lids fits perfectly over the cutlery holder in the drawer for extra bits.

Well as many of you know I pulled the trigger on a Coast yesterday. Now looking for a driveway awning among other things. I never had one of my own on my old Beach but borrowed a friend's fir a trip. Does anyone have any strong feelings either way between pole v air and any particularly good models to look into. Ideally, I'd like as small pack size as possible but that said a good footprint for 2 adults and 2 kids to be able to make use of. I'd like it to be quick and easy to put up and down too. Also any suggestions on useful stuff now we will have an onboard kitchen unlike our old Beach ⛱ all welcome. Do many of you cook on board? Is the ridge monkey worth it?

Many thanks
My brother bought an air awning and it was so heavy and bulky. Sold it and bought a pole version. I bought the Ridge Monkey. We never use it. My wife says a frying pan with lid is just as good. She does all the cooking so... I am probably the only person who doesn't swear by the RM.

My brother bought an air awning and it was so heavy and bulky. Sold it and bought a pole version. I bought the Ridge Monkey. We never use it. My wife says a frying pan with lid is just as good. She does all the cooking so... I am probably the only person who doesn't swear by the RM.

She has a point…
However, it’s helpful for toasted sandwiches or warming things like pasties :thumb

Thanks. Funnily enough my wife said when I showed her "wouldn't our frying pan and lid do the sane job"!

For us we have the tiniest Decathlon pop up tent which I put up as soon as we arrive. The kids car seats, bbqs, prams and whatever immediately go in there to free up space. Then I put the roof up and put our bedding up there. Then I sit down and have a beer or Normandy cider. We have the Decathlon Seconds pop up shelter for longer trips or places we think it will rain (Brittany), now sold as the Cinch. They’re very popular.
I could never understand why I would attach a giant tent to the van. Why did I get a campervan to attach a tent to it? Plus we sometimes go to 9 sites in 14 days so an awning would slow us down. Others love them. We usually camp in France where it’s sunny so it’s warm enough to sit in the open. I guess if you camp in the UK people might feel differently.
Lambeth. You sound just like us! We bought the tiniest little decathlon tent with our Beach. Little green thing can't recall the name and put exactly that in it plus our Waeco fridge. It was perfect tbh. Whilst on the french tour we bought the decathlon basecamp in Finistere and stuck our kitchen and wardrobe in there. I'm going to look at the cinch. Does it pack small crucially?

I bought a Cali to avoid putting up a tent. If you are determined to undermine this advantage try a Cinch pop up. Doesn't attach, hence easier life, and takes a few seconds to put up or down. Suits my family of 4 plus dog.
Cinch sounds the right option. Thanks again!

Lambeth. You sound just like us! We bought the tiniest little decathlon tent with our Beach. Little green thing can't recall the name and put exactly that in it plus our Waeco fridge. It was perfect tbh. Whilst on the french tour we bought the decathlon basecamp in Finistere and stuck our kitchen and wardrobe in there. I'm going to look at the cinch. Does it pack small crucially?
Our Decathlon shelter pops up in seconds and needs 6 pegs. Takes real skill to take down but I’ve got the hang of it now. Takes five minutes to take down. It packs into a giant disk which I then sit on to squeeze remaining air out of it. Then slots in at top of the boot meaning I can’t see a thing out of the rear window! The Cinch is a little different but same basic design from what I can see.

Cinch sounds the right option. Thanks again!

Here’s the original.
Used it, when we had to much baby crap. Thankfully, not used in the last few years. Although, tell a lie.
Took it on a lads weekend last year as a base for us to hang out.

Old Base Seconds, erection in about 2mins. Packs away in 5 with some wrestling…

D3FA1BA9-E27F-475C-BD83-F7AF23849324.jpeg

Back