Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Kitchen gas strut - replace or not

monster-mash

monster-mash

Vehicle
N/A
Ours is a 2008 and as far as Im aware still on the original sink and fridge cover struts. They are working as in there's a great sucking noise as the covers open however no noise on closure being slightly worried about the glass tops if I didn't support them they would slam down.
I have removed them and compressed them by hand by pushing between the palm of my hand to the floor, there is resistance more initially but in my experience with gas struts working them by hand a good unit is very difficult allowing for different forces per their applications.
The mountings appear good and not loose including the fridge mount
Does this sound about right or should I be replacing them?

If they were leaking they would just leak out and as soon as you lifted the covers up you would feel the lid dropping.
If the leak is that small, then they are not suddenly going to slam shut as the lids spend most of their time down they would expire in the closed position and the above would apply.
Gas struts come in all sizes and pressures and you can only really compare 2 of the same in the same application so if they are both the same then its unlikely they are failing.

There not leaking, I have to assume they are both the same age & yes they both feel the same when being manually operated but that dosen't mean to say they are both not tired

What I would like to know is how does everyone shut their covers down,
a, let them come down steadily on their own gravity till they finaly latch in place
b, need a little support as they come down quite quick
c, come down fairly quick and they auto latch in place

What I would like to know is how does everyone shut their covers down,
a, let them come down steadily on their own gravity till they finaly latch in place
b, need a little support as they come down quite quick
c, come down fairly quick and they auto latch in place
They have been known to shatter. But the posts on here relating to that happening were of a spontaneous nature rather than through rough handling.

One lid is bigger than the other?
Correct. So you have to make sure you get the correct one if not going to VW as a supplier.:thumb

Well that is interesting because both of mine are 70N, the fridge lid being smaller agreed but saying that there is extra material under the fridge lid adding to the weight, insulation purposes i guess.
What year is the breakdown link for WelshGas? Im wondering whether 2008s were the same N force but reduced it when they found customers coming returning with loosening lower anchor point in the fridge. I have noticed this has since been moved on to the cupboard body now on newer models.
I will be getting them from TPS that's if i replace them, to close ours I have to operate the b, method supporting them whilst closing.

Well that is interesting because both of mine are 70N, the fridge lid being smaller agreed but saying that there is extra material under the fridge lid adding to the weight, insulation purposes i guess.
What year is the breakdown link for WelshGas? Im wondering whether 2008s were the same N force but reduced it when they found customers coming returning with loosening lower anchor point in the fridge. I have noticed this has since been moved on to the cupboard body now on newer models.
I will be getting them from TPS that's if i replace them, to close ours I have to operate the b, method supporting them whilst closing.
Top of the linked page - 2008

Back