Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Lago do Como

sidepod

sidepod

Super Poster
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T4 PopTop
:cool::cool::cool:On the off chance we manage to tear ourselves away from the coast, we may head over to Italy.

Any campsite Intel near Lake Como appreciated. Must be lake side.

Grazie mille.

So we left St.Tropez around 7pm and headed east along the A8. Sharp left at Genoa and pointed the bus at Milan.
Thankfully we tackled the tangenzialli around midnight, slightly less hectic than rush hour!

Landed in Lecco just before 1am. Pitched up with some other vans in a car park lake side.

We checked out about six or seven sites, some as per recommendations in this thread.
Mostly grim.

Large dusty sites with picture menu cafes.

Settled on a small place in Dongo. Magic lake camping. Probably looses a bit in translation!

Anyway it's right on the lake and cycle path, which is nice.

Beautiful surroundings. Tacky infrastructure.

Hopefully good pizza later.

@sidepod this is funny – I was just about to recommend the Magic Lake! Spend a couple of days there late june this summer. Watersports just outside, nice, quiet and clean facilities. If you go to Switzerland, the Splügen Pass is close by and quite fantastic! Old, narrow and steep – but worth the trip.

Cant help it. Just have to pop in some pics:

View and surfing right outside the camping

IMG_3265.JPG IMG_3272.JPG

On our way over the Splügen Pass. They do not recommend cars bigger than 2.3 mtr. wide. The Cali is 2.297 – so we went thru just fine, even with the bikes and roof box …

IMG_3307.JPG IMG_3310.JPG IMG_3318.JPG

Last edited:
@sidepod this is funny – I was just about to recommend the Magic Lake! Spend a couple of days there late june this summer. Watersports just outside, nice, quiet and clean facilities. If you go to Switzerland, the Sprüngli crossing is close by and quite fantastic! Old, narrow and steep but worth the trip.

View attachment 16256 View attachment 16257

On our way over the Sprüngli Pass. They do not recommend cars bigger than 2.3 mtr. wide. The Cali is 2.397 – and we went thru just fine, even with the bikes and roof box …

View attachment 16258 View attachment 16259 View attachment 16260

Lovely pictures! Is this the Spluegen Pass?
@sidepod: great you find a nice place to stay!

Will that be the St.Moritz road? We were planning to take that route.

Magic Lake is quite a cool little spot. Plenty of VW action. A few too many Germans in inappropriate swim ware but, hey, we can't have it all.

Pod.

Will that be the St.Moritz road? We were planning to take that route.

Magic Lake is quite a cool little spot. Plenty of VW action. A few too many Germans in inappropriate swim ware but, hey, we can't have it all.

Pod.

Not sure if its the St. Moritz road? From the Camping you turn right on the SS340 and follow it. When you reach the SS36, turn left and follow it … its going over the mountains ;-)

Try to google it … that will give you an impression – and try to hit a sunny day ;-)

image.jpeg Ok this is more like it.
We bailed out of Dongo and headed for Garda. Not the easiest or prettiest route but hey ho.

Campsite is Camping Park Garda in Limone sul Garda. Pretty good as long as your pitch is by the water.

Today we shall eat and drink (more) then tomorrow, dial in the coordinates for Bavariashire.

P.

@sidepod this is funny – I was just about to recommend the Magic Lake! Spend a couple of days there late june this summer. Watersports just outside, nice, quiet and clean facilities. If you go to Switzerland, the Splügen Pass is close by and quite fantastic! Old, narrow and steep – but worth the trip.

On our way over the Splügen Pass. They do not recommend cars bigger than 2.3 mtr. wide. The Cali is 2.397 – and we went thru just fine, even with the bikes and roof box …

The T6 Cali is 2.297m acording to the handbook, wing mirror to wing mirror, so you were just inside the limit unless yours is different.

The T6 Cali is 2.297m acording to the handbook, wing mirror to wing mirror, so you were just inside the limit unless yours is different.

I know, but I misspelled … My wife actually wanted me to look into the manual, before we went along ;-)

On our way over the Splügen Pass. They do not recommend cars bigger than 2.3 mtr. wide. The Cali is 2.297 – so we went thru just fine, even with the bikes and roof box …

Stunning scenery!!!

Thanks for the site recommendation - we'll be at Como in early July.