Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Lake District sites & Dogs?

Juliette ryan

Juliette ryan

Vehicle
T5 SE 180
Planning our first proper trip in May - any recommendations for sites in Cumbria ? That take dogs? Have been looking and there are loads- not sure where to start!
Thank you in advance

Burns farm near Keswick
Great facilities and small dog walk on site but lots of paths/ walks direct from site

I’ve just had a look and it’s perfect - and have emailed them re availability- thank you so much.

Have a look at side farm patterdale right on edge of lake .

Another one I forgot is ' The Quiet Site' near Ullswater loads of lovely walks direct from site.
You can even walk round part of the lake and get the ferry back with the dogs. Our loved it!

Thank you again - side farm wow - you can’t book though - as this our first trip I want it to go well!! I was the driving force in getting a van - and whereas my husband is warming a bit he’s still not 100% convinced - no pressure for me then !! We’ve got family in Derbyshire so thinking to break journey up from the south coast - and he loves the lakes.
Had looked at The Quiet Site. Looks very big ? But then I suppose the facilities would be more substantial?
Our lab will love it whatever - easier to please than partners !!

In general most sites allow dogs (my experience in 5y camping ) the outdoor life and camping brings in people with dogs so campsites need to be dog friendly .
Enjoy your maiden trip!

Planning our first proper trip in May - any recommendations for sites in Cumbria ? That take dogs? Have been looking and there are loads- not sure where to start!
Thank you in advance
The Lakes. Lovely stuff. It's quite a large area with different things to offer. Are you planning to stop in one place or try a couple of different sites? You'll of driven a long way after all. Even with a stopover en route. Langdale in the central Lakes is rather nice, we've used Bays Brown which is quite a natural site, but there are a few more in the valley. Borrowdale which isn't far from Keswick has a reputation for being the wettest place in England - it's stunning and our family recommend Stonethwaite Farm. Or over near Buttermere there is The Wheatsheaf pub which has a small campsite and the scenery and walking is stunning. One of my favourite parts of the Lakes and your Lab will love a walk round Buttermere.

Shhhhhh.

Don't mention Stonethwaite. It's a secret.

WhatsApp Image 2018-01-25 at 19.03.55.jpeg

I’m overwhelmed with all your fantastic posts - thank you so much - I’ll keep all this info between me and the vw Californiaclub ! X

I’m overwhelmed with all your fantastic posts - thank you so much - I’ll keep all this info between me and the vw Californiaclub ! X

So our secret between (up 'till today) 12495 members + unregistred visitors....
:D

We went on holiday for years at Rosthwaite & walked through Stonethwaite a lot. Got the impression, mainly from the bin area, that it could be lively at weekends?

Great walks both high & low level in Borrowdale.

We love the CCC site in Keswick
Easy walk into town too

Stonethwaite is lovely but avoid weekends it’s full of idiots ie sitting in sofas and playing music all night and urinating all over the joint

Try eskdale camp site , a great welcome plus a couple of pubs nearby . Really handy for the rave glass and eskdale railway . Extremely clean well kept site.

Scotgate campsite in Braithwaite good particularly in winter as loo block has underfloor heating. There’s a good little site at Troutbeck also just of A66

If your a member of caravan club Coniston is great also there is a small Cl in Coniston near school and the Church House in just up road in Torver has small CL

National Trust has 4 sites in the Lakes - all seem to get good reviews. Hoping to visit them myself this year.

Sykeside Campsite on the Kirkstone Pass is beautifully located with gorgeous views. You can walk up High Street (and other walks) from the campsite and there is a pub on site. The facilities are OK. We found them a bit basic for winter camping.

We also stayed at the Caravan and Motorhome club site at Coniston. It is set in woods so no views. There are a lot of pitches but in early January it was quiet. You can walk to Coniston from the site along a footpath. And from there, up the Old Man of Coniston. The showers were excellent - properly heated washrooms, very clean and a drying room.

National Trust has 4 sites in the Lakes - all seem to get good reviews. Hoping to visit them myself this year.
I would second that.

We stayed on the NT Wasdale site at the foot of Scarfell Pike a few years ago.
Very peaceful with good walking.

Alan

Wow, great, this thread! We plan to tour the Lake District after Camperjam this year, and these National Trust sites seem to be just 'our cup of tea'. Do you need a membership of some kind to stay there?

Also, the second week of July, is the Lake District still doable, or is it already swamped with tourists, white giants, etc. around that time?