Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Last minute trip to the Pyrenees

Thelovewalrus

Thelovewalrus

I
VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
We are hoping to head off to the Pyrenees in a couple of weeks in our Ocean. Any info,tips, etc would be very gratefully received. First major trip in her I may add.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Don't think too much about it. Just drive and enjoy. Overnight stops at the Aires and services if need be, stop when you feel like it ... and enjoy. The Cali will be fine and you will enjoy!

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Thanks peeps keep the info coming

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You may well need chains. Lots of snow there this year and a lot of avalanches so take care. If your're skiing don't go off piste. Three people killed at our town a couple of weeks ago.
Most of the mountain passes will be closed so plan your route accordingly. Obviously roads up to ski areas they generally manage to keep open.
If you don't ski then snowshoeing is great. Best to go with a guide in a party as they will know the best/safe places. Check with tourist info where it is safe to go.
You can get down there in a day, Autoroutes all the way, about 740 from Calais, 600ish from Le Havre/Caen but this time of year I would do a short crossing or better still the tunnel. Weather can be really bad in the channel. Dont even think about the Santander/Bilbao crossings.
Fabulous down there at any time, you'll love it. Most of the ski towns will have aires with hook ups but they can get very busy. There will also be a few sites open but check before you go.
This may sound a bit gloomy but it really isn't. It's just common sense in the mountains with snow to stay safe and enjoy it. You'll love it.
My avatar is our van outside our house three years ago. Day and half of snow.:)

Once you're higher up in the mountains and take the little roads there are plenty places where you do camping sauvage.
A nice aire is here: https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place/42°56'15.6"N+0°17'32.9"E/@42.9371213,0.2929638,500m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m5!3m4!1s0x0:0x0!8m2!3d42.93767!4d0.29248?hl=en
Romke, I know this thread is old, but the 'aire' you mentioned looks really nice for 'wild camping' and I'm wondering if you have more tips like this one, cause I'm seriously considering going to the pyrenees this summer.

We had a house in Cauteret for about fifteen years and can recommend a few spots around there. Pont d'Espagne car park (payable but has toilets) lovely walk (or cable car) up to Lac de Gaube and beyond if you fancy it. Cambasque just up from Cauterets (free), the ski area car park up from Gavarnie (stunning views and easy walk to the Spanish border) Generally all the ski area car parks are ok and free to park up overnight. The car park at the bottom of the Col de Tourmalet is huge and also the car park on the east side of the Col just over the summit are both excellent (watch out for llamas wandering onto the road at night)
Generally anywhere in the National Park is considered a nono though and this goes for the Spanish side as well. We got moved on by the Spanish police once who seem to patrol the areas.

Romke, I know this thread is old, but the 'aire' you mentioned looks really nice for 'wild camping' and I'm wondering if you have more tips like this one, cause I'm seriously considering going to the pyrenees this summer.
He passed away last year.
I did suggest adding 'in memory' or Rip to his
avatar at the time but it seems it was too much trouble.

Back