Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Leak in sink drain faucet (black plastic)

turtletime.dk

turtletime.dk

Vehicle
T4 PopTop
Hi everyone
Hope you can help with this, so we can use our sink again(!)
We were planning to leave tomorrow

The leak is between the the two black parts of the drain faucet. Startet today. First a little leak, and only if light pressure was placed with a finger on the short transparent plastic hose connected to the faucet. Removed the plastic hose, to check if the leak came from the joint. It didn’t. It leaks from the joint between the two parts of the black faucet.
But now it’s almost pouring out :-/

I made two short videoes for you to see

Thanks!
Morten

Hi, it’s a pretty bad leak alright.
I don’t have any drawings or diagrams to know how to remove it, so I would suggest that you may have to remove the whole drain fitting from the sink and try to take it apart and see what is happening to it. Then you may be able to seal it and refit it.
However, be very careful that you don’t breat any parts of it. It may be difficult to get another one.

@mrcheesbrough Wonderful! Just what I needed. From the diagram it seems like the odour trap is made and installed as one piece, not two as it seems like now. So the leaking ‘joint’ is not even supposed to be there I guess. Maybe the two ‘parts’ have come off when I pressed water down the drain with my plunger (I started my day trying to fix the waste water tank).

@Padraic : Yes, I’m also worried about breaking it (But it’s broken anyway...)

I’ll try to get a spare, but until thn I need a temporary solution:
- Either I could try to disassemble it all, with the risk of breaking it.
- Or maybe I could use a acryllic silicon sealant.
- Wondering if a sealing solution could be duct tape also?

What do you guys think?

@mrcheesbrough Wonderful! Just what I needed. From the diagram it seems like the odour trap is made and installed as one piece, not two as it seems like now. So the leaking ‘joint’ is not even supposed to be there I guess. Maybe the two ‘parts’ have come off when I pressed water down the drain with my plunger (I started my day trying to fix the waste water tank).

@Padraic : Yes, I’m also worried about breaking it (But it’s broken anyway...)

I’ll try to get a spare, but until thn I need a temporary solution:
- Either I could try to disassemble it all, with the risk of breaking it.
- Or maybe I could use a acryllic silicon sealant.
- Wondering if a sealing solution could be duct tape also?

What do you guys think?
Super glue might be your best bet rather than silicon sealant. It would make a much better seal. Especially if you're planning to replace it there's nothing to lose.

Where are you located? Perhaps you are close to someone who can supply spare parts? Any caravan/motorhome supply shops close to you that may have something that would work?
Its worth gently trying to disassemble it, clean it dry it and then try some type of sealant. Ducktap on the outside may also keep it together.
If you can stop most of the leak, you may get by with a container under to catch the leak when the sink is being emptied.

@mrcheesbrough : Thanks for the tip!

@Padraic : Currently in Northern Denmark. Don’t think I can find old Westfalia parts around here unfortunately.

Which online shop(s) might have a similar/spare faucet of the same type?

I suppose any shop that is local to you, you will need to potentially try a few options until you find one that fits.

Thank you so much both of you!

Now I made it this far:

That’s fast work. Certainly looks like you’ve found the root of the problem. Glue and silicon should certainly get it useable again, and most likely it would be fine for a good long time. As long as nothing too lumpy is washed down the plug hole.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yep! Had to go on a trip next day (we live in our van all year round), so we are very dependant on the sink working(!) :)

Now it’s all nicely glued together and back in place.

Once again thank you so much both of you

Yep! Had to go on a trip next day (we live in our van all year round), so we are very dependant on the sink working(!) :)

Now it’s all nicely glued together and back in place.

Once again thank you so much both of you

Great stuff. Happy campering.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk