Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Leaking roof or door??

Hi Ian,

Maybe I am a bit late to notice your post, but as it happens I have my van's headlining removed to fix a problem with the hydraulic pipes for the pop-up roof. I have to replace the pipes later this week and I was therefore able to take these pictures, which are taken on the driver's side (RHD) so on the right hand side.

We have a 2013 T5 California SE by the way.

There is an external view of the grommet. I have removed the mastic sealant around the wires and pipes and the small drain hole is just visible (circled). You might be familiar with this already but on my van (which is quite a dark colour) it is hard to see, especially with the sealant in place.

There is also an internal view of the drain pipe and it shows the drain pipe exiting the side of the spoiler. It is held up by a small black clip.

I also tried to get a picture of the inside of the grommet, inside the front spoiler, where it may be that your van is leaking. You can see the place where the wires and hydraulic pipes go through and you can just about see where the rubber drain goes through the grommet.

Hope this helps.

Drain_external.jpg

Drain_Internal.JPG

Grommet_Internal.JPG

Last edited:
Update, apologies for the delay. The body shop identified that the leak was coming from around the gland not through it so the gland itself was undamaged. They applied an industrial sealant and so far (touch wood) after 3 weeks with some heavy rain as well as cleaning etc we haven't had any ingress. The whole repair took less than an hour so not expensive. Of course it may come back but I'll cross that bridge when and if it happens. Thanks to all..

Hi Ian,

Maybe I am a bit late to notice your post, but as it happens I have my van's headlining removed to fix a problem with the hydraulic pipes for the pop-up roof. I have to replace the pipes later this week and I was therefore able to take these pictures, which are taken on the driver's side (RHD) so on the right hand side.

We have a 2013 T5 California SE by the way.

There is an external view of the grommet. I have removed the mastic sealant around the wires and pipes and the small drain hole is just visible (circled). You might be familiar with this already but on my van (which is quite a dark colour) it is hard to see, especially with the sealant in place.

There is also an internal view of the drain pipe and it shows the drain pipe exiting the side of the spoiler. It is held up by a small black clip.

I also tried to get a picture of the inside of the grommet, inside the front spoiler, where it may be that your van is leaking. You can see the place where the wires and hydraulic pipes go through and you can just about see where the rubber drain goes through the grommet.

Hope this helps.

View attachment 62688

View attachment 62689

View attachment 62690
Thank you very much indeed for these photos and information

Back