Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Roof drains

JohnCalifornia

JohnCalifornia

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 199
Hi are there 2 drains for the roof at the front of the Cali? I’ve tried pouring water down both sides. The drivers side gurgles and water comes out of the bottom of the van. The passenger side does nothing and the water pools. Also I have long black covers over the drains. I have been looking at previous posts on this and the photos actually show the drain hole. My drain holes are behind this long black cover. Does this need removing to clean them out?
Thanks for any replies

Hi are there 2 drains for the roof at the front of the Cali? I’ve tried pouring water down both sides. The drivers side gurgles and water comes out of the bottom of the van. The passenger side does nothing and the water pools. Also I have long black covers over the drains. I have been looking at previous posts on this and the photos actually show the drain hole. My drain holes are behind this long black cover. Does this need removing to clean them out?
Thanks for any replies
Yes, it just pulls off. Don't poke anything down the drain.

Once the cover is off using a 100ml syringe with a short length of pipe or use just a straw to blow some warm water down the drain holes until a it runs free.

Ok I’ll do it again tomorrow, weather pending obviously. I have got a syringe of any type but the missus mentioned a turkey baster may do the same job. ….Good idea me thinks

Ok I’ll do it again tomorrow, weather pending obviously. I have got a syringe of any type but the missus mentioned a turkey baster may do the same job. ….Good idea me thinks
You may not get enough pressure with the baster, worth purchasing a 100ml syringe and clean the drains every time you wash the Cali :)
cobee Plastic Syringe with Tube 100 ml Large Plastic Syringe with 130cm Hose Tube Large Plastic Measuring Syringe for Feeding Watering Nutrient Measuring Scientific Labs Glue Applicator Experiments

I’ve read putting the end of a tyrap down it just to dislodge any debris. Is this still not a good idea?

I found a portable garden sprayer (Hozelock or similar) did the job just fine :thumb

I’ve read putting the end of a tyrap down it just to dislodge any debris. Is this still not a good idea?
There is a right angle bend just inside the drain hole where the down tube connects so it's advised not to poke anything down the drain hole in case it dislodges the down tube which would be a major issue to repair.

Well I don’t want to risk doing any damage so or doing that then. I’ve ordered the syringe thing so should be with me tomorrow

I have just bought this, arrived yesterday, filled it with a strong mix of water and washing up detergent. Seems to work well on roof drains and the side sliding windows - although because it not pumping oil it may fail in time (and you need to get the knack of the pump before inserting into the drains holes):

1682660596989.jpeg

Ok so I have taken the black covers off but still no obvious hole . I have some dodgy looking pipe silicone thing going in. Do I unplug this to access the drain hole. Pic attached
Thanks

5827659D-8E41-440D-A0D3-379A25618EB6.jpeg

Yep found them and both gurgling like they should now. The passenger side was definitely blocked but all sorted with my new syringe so all all good. Checked back ones too and they are clear too

I have just bought this, arrived yesterday, filled it with a strong mix of water and washing up detergent. Seems to work well on roof drains and the side sliding windows - although because it not pumping oil it may fail in time (and you need to get the knack of the pump before inserting into the drains holes):

View attachment 107740
Just ordered. TY, Db.

Thanks for any replies
Yup JohnCalifornia ..the long black covers just pull off without too much effort to expose the small drain holes.

A bowl of warm slightly soapy water and this excellent bit of kit recommended by another member earlier in the thread did the trick nicely for me:

You might need to use the syringe to squirt a little water in the area that pools to move away any debris and expose the hole that may be blocked. The tubing fits just inside the aperture which is enough so don’t be tempted to shove it in too far as that might dislodge something inside which might be expensive to repair.

Gently does it with a steady gentle delivery is recommended rather than a strong jet.

Cheers

Taff

Back