Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Leaking tailgate - lifting the seal

J

Julesverne2000

Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 150
I’ve just discovered a leak from the tailgate. May well be the often reported issue with the seal. A bit of a surprise as this is the first time we’ve noticed a leak since getting the van in April (excluding the bellows, obviously!)

I’ve read the advice to lift the seal but would be good to have a bit more info on the procedure.

Is it a horizontal or vertical pull away from the van? Is it immediately obvious if you’ve done it correctly? Are there any signs that it’s not seated properly in the first place?

I’ve just discovered a leak from the tailgate. May well be the often reported issue with the seal. A bit of a surprise as this is the first time we’ve noticed a leak since getting the van in April (excluding the bellows, obviously!)

I’ve read the advice to lift the seal but would be good to have a bit more info on the procedure.

Is it a horizontal or vertical pull away from the van? Is it immediately obvious if you’ve done it correctly? Are there any signs that it’s not seated properly in the first place?
It’s just an easing of the seal away from the van horizontally …. Only a few millimetres should do. I only tweaked mine in the area in front of the hinges as that was where I was getting drips.

It’s just an easing of the seal away from the van horizontally …. Only a few millimetres should do. I only tweaked mine in the area in front of the hinges as that was where I was getting drips.
Thanks.

Back