Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Leaking windows

@EddieEagle did you dig the mastic away to find the drain hole slot from above as they are not visible on my 2010 T5.1?
No digging involved , the gap is visible from above.
I know we have had some heavy rain recently. Despite my cleaning and siliconing the rubber seal water still gets behind the sink and into the cupboards .
I have tried all the tips on here but have thrown in the towel ( figuratively and literally, )over the waste water tank . I have taped up the sliding window on the outside. Not very pretty but driasabone inside now.
I would like to take out the sliding glass and really get to the drains if only I were brave enough to expose the top runner by removing the expansive trim above the whole side window above the sink from wardrobe to the passenger door.

Maybe VwGuru could shed some light on this watery problem?

marc.

Asking for a friend.....
Is there a tube that connects to the external drain from the drain in the window internally? Does anybody know. A friend has bought a T5 kombi and it’s leaking badly internally- no tube on the drain at the end of the internal channel, so running directly into van. How does the water make its way outside
help appreciated

No tubes as such but ducts in the window frame moulding which lead from the 2 drain holes in the runner channel to exit apertures tucked behind the lower edge of the glass and the bodywork. One hole is visible on the corner where the right hand end of runner channel turns and the other Is hidden under the sliding window kind of in the middle of the whole window. Check the holes aren’t blocked and the window rubbers are clean. Also always push the window closed with a hand firmly pushing out on either side edge whilst it turns outwards: don’t just slam it shut from the left side.

It’s a cr@p design as the channel is too thin and water doesn’t flow along it to the holes very well, especially if there’s a lot or the van isn’t abs level.

As it's a kombi he may be able to fix it like this but you can't get to it on a Cali so best to stop the water from entering the window in the first place by ensuring the seals are regularly cleaned with silicone spray then work on the drain holes.

Another 2017 Ocean with the same leak. This has been very helpful. Great forum.

FYI
One of my sliding windows was leaking, I had noticed water in the bottom of the unit under the sink and tried cleaning the window drains but they were already clear. I brought it for a car wash last week and the water from the power hose gushed in at the edges. There didn't seem to be very much play in the window but I took a chance and bought this kit from a turkish company online at the weekend, it was delivered in 3 days and only cost €17 including DHL. (Exact same kit on Amazon for nearly £50) It had everything needed to swap out the worn parts.

No instructions included but there's a video on YouTube that was posted on here on a different thread that I used as a guide, it arrived today and I removed the window and changed all the parts and refitted in about 45 mins.

A couple of things I did different than the video that might save someone time.

1.I removed the window from the bottom first, my window blind didn't allow the top to pop out first

2. When refitting the window, don't fit the little bars with the springs on them until the window is back in, it's easier this way or else you'll have to hold the window catch handle in the open position while trying to refit the glass.

Replacing the glass was a bit fiddly but eventually it popped into place

This might all be on the forum already, apologies if I've duplicated the info.

Regards
Mark

Hello all,
We have just had our nearside kitchen window replaced under warranty and our Cali 6.1 was only bought new on 26th August 2020!! No fault given but we think design or fitting fault? Anyway it was replaced by our Exeter Carrs VW Van Centre and with non stop rain here in the West so far so good no leaks. Oh, all fitted without removal of the kitchen!

Hello all,
We have just had our nearside kitchen window replaced under warranty and our Cali 6.1 was only bought new on 26th August 2020!! No fault given but we think design or fitting fault? Anyway it was replaced by our Exeter Carrs VW Van Centre and with non stop rain here in the West so far so good no leaks. Oh, all fitted without removal of the kitchen!
Fingers crossed!

FYI
One of my sliding windows was leaking, I had noticed water in the bottom of the unit under the sink and tried cleaning the window drains but they were already clear. I brought it for a car wash last week and the water from the power hose gushed in at the edges. There didn't seem to be very much play in the window but I took a chance and bought this kit from a turkish company online at the weekend, it was delivered in 3 days and only cost €17 including DHL. (Exact same kit on Amazon for nearly £50) It had everything needed to swap out the worn parts.

No instructions included but there's a video on YouTube that was posted on here on a different thread that I used as a guide, it arrived today and I removed the window and changed all the parts and refitted in about 45 mins.

A couple of things I did different than the video that might save someone time.

1.I removed the window from the bottom first, my window blind didn't allow the top to pop out first

2. When refitting the window, don't fit the little bars with the springs on them until the window is back in, it's easier this way or else you'll have to hold the window catch handle in the open position while trying to refit the glass.

Replacing the glass was a bit fiddly but eventually it popped into place

This might all be on the forum already, apologies if I've duplicated the info.

Regards
Mark

Did this work??

Either YouTube's algorithm is getting smarter and shared this with me.... Or I found this here 2 days ago and already have forgotten! Either way, this might be useful ;)

Just after buying my VW-Cali t5 (ten years old) I also noticed water leaking via the kitchen window. The window rubbers were not complete sealing, most likely by aging. I fixed this by getting the window out, loosening the rubbers and putting under the rubbers an additional layer of 2 mm 3M EVA double sides foam tape. No leaking window anymore!