Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Leather Seats

I think it depends how long you're intending to keep the van. If only for a couple of years, then maybe a few buyers will be put off by a 'non standard' leather (although still not that many I'd guess) but if you're going to keep it a long time then probably less of a resale factor...and boosts the most important factor which is that you should go for what personally makes you happy - pink suede or whatever.**

But regarding colour I'm sure if you ask 100 Cali owners you'll get 110 different opinions. As a sample of one: if I was having leather in a Cali I might think the black was a little dark for a camper, to me it's more reminiscent of an 'executive airport shuttle' :Grin.

We have cream leather in one of our cars, black in the other. I do like the cream best because it really lightens the interior.

Incidentally one small thing in the photos you posted is that I personally think the light grey armrests on black leather seats let the side down a bit, it makes it look ever-so-slightly half-a£$ed and obviously a non-factory job.

[** EDIT: Should probably have said, we just have the basic cloth seats in our Cali, with Inka covers to catch the dog hair, split BBQ sauce and general crud. We also have full rubber floor mats in the front. For us the Cali is a practical camper and I wouldn't spend any extra money on leather seats or whatever. Just mentioning to underline how everyone is different.]

Last edited:
I think it depends how long you're intending to keep the van. If only for a couple of years, then maybe a few buyers will be put off by a 'non standard' leather (although still not that many I'd guess) but if you're going to keep it a long time then probably less of a resale factor...and boosts the most important factor which is that you should go for what personally makes you happy - pink suede or whatever.

But regarding colour I'm sure if you ask 100 Cali owners you'll get 110 different opinions. As a sample of one: if I was having leather in a Cali I might think the black was a little dark for a camper, to me it's more reminiscent of an 'executive airport shuttle' :Grin.

We have cream leather in one of our cars, black in the other. I do like the cream best because it really lightens the interior.

Incidentally one small thing in the photos you posted is that I personally think the light grey armrests on black leather seats let the side down a bit, it makes it look ever-so-slightly half-a£$ed and obviously a non-factory job.
Yes ... I see your point ... I think getting a swatch to see various shades may give a better feel. The cream coloured seats on this thread look stunning, though my view is that the cabin needs more contrast. Yes we all have different tastes ... and have yet to pass this by the boss ... we will have a few trips and see how the scotch seats hold up!

Given your van's colours I think pale blue leather might look really nice, but I'm not noted for my taste in these things (apparently). :D

Given your van's colours I think pale blue leather might look really nice, but I'm not noted for my taste in these things (apparently). :D
Hah hah ... well I did ask for an opinion .... Not sold on the blue idea though I might go so far to have pale blue piping ... but thats about how ambitious I'll be!

Keep the old seat covers! Then the buyer can have the choice.

I have factory leather in my cali I have to say I prefer the full leather option in your pictures As for colour only you can decide as its very much a personal decision though a light colour would lighten the interior but would be tricky to keep clean

Don't forget to "feed" the leather to keep it soft and prevent cracking. Nothing looks worse than scruffy leather!

This is my after market set, I've also got the old pale grey cloth covers which are intact, but not child friendly

a8f73bad579335c40a256f82777abd9a.jpg
4d2c11213a8a5705f570f65a96efcb8b.jpg

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

This is my after market set, I've also got the old pale grey cloth covers which are intact, but not child friendly

a8f73bad579335c40a256f82777abd9a.jpg
4d2c11213a8a5705f570f65a96efcb8b.jpg

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk
Love that look ... thanks for sharing. It brings in the cream from the rest of the cabin. They are the best I've seen in terms of the right balance of colour. Is that black? Or a black Gray?

I got mine re-trimmed by Trim-Technik..... Happy with the result, and so easy to wipe clean and are free of dog hairs etc.....

However, I did recently sit in a full-leather Caravelle..... and the factory quality in the Caravelle is noticeably better, I'd say 20% better.....

But, since full-leather ain't an option in the Cali..... I'm happy with my re-trim.

5B79A740-7B58-47E7-81CC-BE0AB5918C69.jpeg

I was wondering if anyone who's opted for a leather re-trim could give a quick update on their thoughts about their decision. How are the seats working out? Have you encountered any problems? Does anyone have any regrets or recommendations? With seat covers costing quite a few hundred pounds, leather re-trims don't seam quite so expensive.

• Agree
Reactions: Loz
I was wondering if anyone who's opted for a leather re-trim could give a quick update on their thoughts about their decision. How are the seats working out? Have you encountered any problems? Does anyone have any regrets or recommendations? With seat covers costing quite a few hundred pounds, leather re-trims don't seam quite so expensive.
Very happy that I did it, the seats still look fresh, they have had a 6 year old wipe fish and chip fingers over them several times, been stood on with wet shoes, had muddy mountain bikers sat on them and they just wipe clean. Sure they're a little cooler in winter but would not hesitate to do it again.

Useful - thank you. (Both)

Can't wait till Wednesday to get mine done. Had the call to say all the leather has arrived and they will see me Wednesday morning, feel like a kid in a sweet shop!