Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Leaving top open a few inches

Dirk Tim

Dirk Tim

Vehicle
Motorhome
Hi. Can you leave the top open like a few inches after a rainy night while you leave the car? Or is that not advised for the mechanism?? Thanks

Seems like your first post here so first ...
Hi,and welcome!
Do i see a new Belgian member:D

What exactly do you mean?
Lowering the roof not the whole way ?
Or leave the zipper from the roof open

Hello. Yes you have a new Belgian member!!
Indeed, I mean lowering the roof not the whole way to let it dry underneath...
(if for security or height reasons you can't leave it open completely?)
Greetings!

It is supposed to be closed before you start off , otherwise you gonna create a cabrio-cali:happy
Just open the roof for dry when back home or at the next stopover on your trip...
Or use a mutze , calicap,....as xtra cover in the rain;)
But your profile says : t5 hightop , so you wont have any trouble that kind?

I just wondered if you could let it slightly open when it's parked somewhere and oops it's not a hardtop. Will have to change profile!

Welcome. I can't think of a reason you couldn't leave it up a little

I suppose you could. You would have to switch off the internal alarm because any movement of the canvas or gust of wind in the California via the roof vents could possibly set off the alarm.
There is no desperate hurry to dry the canvas, I've never heard of one rotting, it just should be dried before closing the roof for an extended period. So use it, and when home and the weather is fine put the roof up for a few hours.
Have fun with it.

Hi Dirk,

Don't try this at home, at least not under the low ceiling of your garage. Remember the unexpected sounds of the roof mechanism, at night, elevating the roof, waking you up? Well, this automatic correction feature might crush your roof. If the roof mechanism 'thinks' it is too low, the pump starts elevating until it reaches the max... I think this correction takes place every six hours, or four, not sure.

Elevated regards from Amsterdam,

Marc.

Wow that's a useful bit of info if correct. I can open my roof about 40cms in my garage and almost did to let any moisture dry out. Fortunately I have not done this. I have not seen the correction feature mentioned in the California supplement. Will take a look in the AM.

Back