Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Retro fit LED headlights or LED Headlight Bulbs

Chilmark

Chilmark

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204
I am sure this subject has been brought up before but I havent seen a viable cost effective solution, is it possible to retro fit LED head lights at a sensible price or maybe even fit a LED bulb light kit solution we have a Dec 2016 Cali that we purchased from a VW dealer there was a couple of wants that we missed out on, on being the LED lights and the other a heated front screen

I am sure this subject has been brought up before but I havent seen a viable cost effective solution, is it possible to retro fit LED head lights at a sensible price or maybe even fit a LED bulb light kit solution we have a Dec 2016 Cali that we purchased from a VW dealer there was a couple of wants that we missed out on, on being the LED lights and the other a heated front screen
Those are NOT LED headlights as VW supply. They just have a built in LED DRL light source and use H7 Headlamp Bulbs.
The only source of FULL LED headlights is HazzyDayz, that I am aware of.

https://www.hazzydayz.com/genuine-t6-full-led-headlight-upgrade-supply--fit-7862-p.asp

£3000 +

Beware of LED lamps sold as H4 replacements, the fitment, location and focal length has to be very precise for them to work without dazzle and a subsequent MOT failure, annoyance of other motorists etc. I think they are a bad idea.

Have a watch of these guys videos on youtube...

Last edited:
Fitting LED bulbs is currently not approved for road use so read illegal. Having said that you could probably get away with fitting them on main beam but not on dip.

Unless Headlight LED bulbs have an E11 marking they are not road legal. non have currently.

There is also a cooling issue with them as they have a cooling fan or fins on the rear that may not fit into the confined space between the light reflector and the rear rubber access rubber cover.

• Agree
Reactions: Loz
I know that things have move along over the past few years but a few years ago I fitted HID bulb and ballast units to my Hayabusa motorcycle. The difference was incredible and always passes the mot with no problems. Only dipped beam not main beam. The bulb is also much cooler at 35 watts compared to 55 watts of the standard bulbs.

Even buying all the OEM components and doing it yourself you’re looking at ~£2k+. It’s not as simple as just changing the units. The T6 van forum has big threads on doing it. Seen some chat around retrofitting heated windscreens, but don’t think anyone has done it.

Well I recently bought a new 4motion with LED headlights. If I hadn’t I would have had LEDs fitted to my 2016 California; they are excellent!
The only thing I didn’t get was Dynamic Chassis Control, preferring to retro fit VB air suspension; better for off road driving and automatic levelling.
The other bit of kit I’m having fitted is a snorkel, not for deep water so much as sand and dust of which there’s quite a lot in the Sahara. 39F2C016-74C7-44F6-A63D-6ADE2EF6EA07.png

Hi Chilmark. Don't know if this is of interest but I thought I'd mention it.....when I was looking for a van earlier this year I read an article in a magazine (VWt issue 67 May 2018) it shows you a system sold by transporterhq.co.uk. its a complete headlight swap for the original lamp and plugs into factory wiring plug. Cost 450 pounds . No idea what they're like. But might be worth a look. Cheers

Back