Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Leisure batteries

Andy

Andy

Top Poster
VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180
I happened to look at the control panel in my Cali today & noticed it said batteries at 60% 12.4 volts so switched control panel off & on again, still the same. It also shows a constant draw of 0.4 amps. This is a tad worrying as the vehicle gets used twice a day, total 12 miles, which ought to keep batteries topped up.
I disconnected the second leisure battery & still 60% 12.4 volts. Powered the control panel off & on again but is the same !
Now beginning to wonder if there is something seriously wrong. With only 1 battery connected I would expect the % to change.
I have checked the 2nd battery fuse which is OK.

Any ideas guys ??

I think the control panel has no means to actually measure the real capacity. It only estimates it by calculating the incoming and outgoing Ampers. Therefore it is quite normal that the 60% remains with 1 baterry only, Baterries are in parallel so the voltage will stay too.
What is weird is the 0.4Amps current drawn. Normally the control panel takes 0.2, but in mine it is rarely shown, usually it is Zero, even with the backlight on. Don't you have anything pluged into lighter socket, like a mobile phone or something? No internal light stay on?

Hi Andresz, control panel used to read 0.2 A all the time with nothing consuming power. Has never read 0 A. No nothing switched on or plunged in to any of the sockets, which is really not a good sign. I still think something is not right !

As a side issue when camping in the van the backlight does not switch off. This is really annoying as it lights up the whole van & I end up covering it with a tea towel ! Not cleaver in a £45 K vehicle. Local van centre says it is normal as another cali they have behaves the same. I said not necessarily correct behaviour, just that they both behave the same.
However when I drive off backlight goes off after 30 seconds !
Need to talk to VW Cust services.

m4rky said:
Hi Andy

I'm not sure about your leisure battery but the backlight on our control panel definitely switches off

Mark

Thanks Mark, that's good to hear. Have to find a few more folk whos switches off before contacting cust services.

I think the backlight might behaving differently on the Face Lift model than on older models.

Andy said:
m4rky said:
Hi Andy

I'm not sure about your leisure battery but the backlight on our control panel definitely switches off

Mark

Thanks Mark, that's good to hear. Have to find a few more folk whos switches off before contacting cust services.

I've replied to this on your other thread.
Mine switches off as well, 2009 pre facelift.

With regards to the current draw, our panel shows 0.0A even with the backlight on, it only shows draw once we turn on lights etc.

Back