Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Complete campervan beginner - confused by batteries!

I'm trying hard to understand the posts about keeping batteries charged. I have no problems in summer when I'm camping and driving I also have a large solar panel. My question is would a trickle charger be sufficient to charge the batteries when the VW is in storage indoors for five months?. There is no storage facility available with electric hook up and the Cali will be stationary while I'm in Asia each year
Thanks for any advice
Aileenonroad
Why not store outside and let the solar panel look after the batteries for you.

Thank you both for your answers. The storage facility is willing to let me plug in a trickle charger but not hook the Cali to the mains. I do have the adapter for that
Re the outside storage and solar panel. I don't know how accurate the display panel is but the percentage of battery charge goes down daily when stationary even though the regulator is flashing. I see an immediate response when I turn on the ignition and the percentage of charge shows 90%. Of course there is also little sunshine in Ireland during winter months
Thanks for input. Aileen

It might be worth pointing out to them that by plugging into the mains, you are simply connecting to the existing on-board trickle charger....

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

It might be worth pointing out to them that by plugging into the mains, you are simply connecting to the existing on-board trickle charger....

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk
Agree. Cannot see what the difference is. In fact probably safer all round using the California Charger as it is designed for prolonged use and would keep all 3 batteries in good condition.

Agree. Cannot see what the difference is. In fact probably safer all round using the California Charger as it is designed for prolonged use and would keep all 3 batteries in good condition.
Plus if there is a problem, the van electrical system (including the charger) will be quickly isolated from the mains feed by the double pole breaker in the back cupboard.

Alan