Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Leisure Batteries

Paulro

Paulro

VIP Member
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 140
Our Cally is 6 and a half years old and charging these batteries is quite difficult to do in the middle of the winter. Van tucked up under cover and just inconvenient.
This weekend fridge and water tap not working but roof did work ok.
Am I right in thinking that the leisure battery provides the power to the roof?
I enquired at VW Heritage and was quoted £207.00 for each battery but Bristol Batteries quoted £147.00 for the identical battery so not too bad.
Has anyone replaced these?
One of them is under the front passenger seat. Hw difficult is that to remove?
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

Make sure you're price comparison is like for like. Batteries should be gel type not lead acid.
Gel would explain the price delta.

Leaving them uncharged outside over winter is not a good idea and will shorten their life.
Either plug in your hook up cable when the van is not in use or remove them from the van and put them in the house or garage and keep them topped up over winter.

S.

Great idea, I have never given a thought to removing the leisure batteries and charging them at home. Are they easy to remove and put back and could you drive the California :help with them removed?

Cheers

Pingpal6 :help

I am aware of battery life and how it deteriorates when they are left uncharged. However it is tricky to achieve this without health and safety issues.
Are they easy to remove and is the vehicle going to be affected at all in the very brief times of usage if they are not connected.
Thanks

Rear one, in boot behind removable panel on left, is easy to remove. Be careful not to short +ve to body with spanner.
The other one that is under passenger seat is more involved, need to remove passenger seat & possibly the base as well. Have to disconnect air bag wire. Do not turn ignition on whilst this is removed as will get an airbag warning light on the dash. Then need dealer to reset the false error.
Not sure about driving with them removed as alternator will still be charging them. Would need to insulate both wires for both batteries, but dooable with care. Don't know if this could possibly damage alternator ???

You could remove the 80 amp fuse after you have removed the battery under the seat :thumb

Tell you what's easier cheaper and a much better all round solution - forget changing the batteries and install solar.

No worries ever about re-charging, hook ups, plugging in once a month and if you're batteries are getting on a bit it will more than make up for that too.

We had it on our Cali this summer for a five week trip as it was a 2008 model on original batteries and this took away any anxiety as well as needing (and paying for ) hook ups.

I put a whole kit together (removable to mount in the roof rails) incl Victron controller with Bluetooth connectivity and 100 watt panel for around £325.

Removed and stored in the garage ready for the next Cali next summer.

Would not ever have a Cali without it now.

Whats the real world difference between a Gel and Lead Acid? I appreciate the gel should be able to discharge further without damage but will I notice the difference?

My beach has a Lead Acid and it works great tbh but I always wonder if I should get the battery that was intended to be in there.

Assume that is unplugged? Have you tried a volt meter direct to the batteries?

That suggests you have a small load on there, what was switched on?

Check the 50 amp fuse on the + tve connection of the rear Leisure Battery, a white Cube fuse beneath the nut.

If that has gone then the 2 Leisure batteries are separated.
The Mains charger will be charging the rear battery and the engine alternator charging the under L hand front seat battery.
All the power connections are taken from the front battery but I believe the Control panel takes its readings elsewhere.
So if the fuse has gone then Leisure facilities will work but just on the 1 battery and that 1 battery will not charge on Mains.

I'm no electrical ace but it seems to be charging ok and batteries read fine once the control unit is reset, given that I saw the plausibility fault once and it's the control unit that continually resets should I have a shuffle with that to see if there is a connection issue?

I dont think those lights should register on the leisure battery but I could be wrong, maybe the rear one does...

If both batteries have a similar voltage then they may be fine. if one battery is lower however you can get into a situation where one battery effectively loses current into the other lower one. No idea how that would manifest on the display.

Tested charging my watch on 12v rear seat, B pillar then from ash tray (no LB)

Only the rear 12v not working so possible the 10amp fuse I dropped.

IMG_20171005_140606.jpg

IMG_20171005_140656.jpg

IMG_20171005_140719.jpg

First thing I would do is check the voltage on each battery separately (not in parallel) and see if they are about the same. If one is higher than the other it could be causing issues.

Back