Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Lithium Battery Installation

I like the look of those. Are you thinking of replacing or adding a second battery under the drivers seat?

I like the look of those. Are you thinking of replacing or adding a second battery under the drivers seat?
Replacing. I'm no expert but I think you would need two of the same battery which I think would be overkill. One of these would last days, and we tend to move every couple of days so it could recharge then...welcome any other views...

Replacing. I'm no expert but I think you would need two of the same battery which I think would be overkill. One of these would last days, and we tend to move every couple of days so it could recharge then...welcome any other views...
Only downer is the huge price. Ordinary batteries for the California are around £150 while these are £850. But, everyone has a right to spend their money anyway they want.

Have you sorted out the charging? I gather they do have some specific requirements and I'm not sure the VW charger or Split Charging system with the variable voltages of the smart alternator are upto the task. Likewise, they don't like the cold. It can all be sorted but I don't think it is a simple drop in replacement.
Some reading from some who have converted to Lithium.

Only downer is the huge price. Ordinary batteries for the California are around £150 while these are £850. But, everyone has a right to spend their money anyway they want.
That's true, but it's basically 3 batteries worth of storage, and it means I can forego the solar panel. It's not working as it is. I have to run the engine for 25 mins everyday at the moment to get enough to last through 24hours. That's before my kids charge all their gizmos too

Actually these batteries have about 5 times the storage when you consider that only about 50% of an agm battery is usable. The lithium ones can be run down to zero if you need to. You also would need to change the split charger to something like the Victron Orion TR Smart charger. Not sure of the affect on warranty for that.

Here's something new I've found... 200ah under seat lipo4 battery. Custom shape for the T5 or T6 swivel chairs so wayyy more capacity which would sort out my 2021 Beach which has one rubbish factory fitted battery which can only run a fridge for 24hours.

Anyone tried or got an opinion on these? Can they just be dropped in as a replacement? Are the t6.1 chairs exactly the same size?

We have had Dometic cfx35 fridge plugged in 24/7 for past 3 months running off 2 x 100w solar panels. Have not needed to hookup at all.

Here's something new I've found... 200ah under seat lipo4 battery. Custom shape for the T5 or T6 swivel chairs so wayyy more capacity which would sort out my 2021 Beach which has one rubbish factory fitted battery which can only run a fridge for 24hours.

Anyone tried or got an opinion on these? Can they just be dropped in as a replacement? Are the t6.1 chairs exactly the same size?

That battery is rated for 120 amp continuous discharge. How long would that take to boil 750ml of water in a 12 volt kettle from a temperature of 12C?

I make it 188 seconds in theory. Probably double that in practice.

Fixed.......the Lipo4 batteries were out of balance and the BMS (Battery Management System) had shut them down. I've now got a fully working twin Lipo4 leisure battery setup with solar set to full lithium settings and the VW split charger providing bulk power if needed. My 1600 watt inverter will now power hair dryer, coffea machine or any high output item and the batteries bounce straight back when done. Twin 84amp batteries allow 1720 watts of power + 80% depth of discharge giving very little degradation to the batteries compared to 900 watts of 75amp + 50% depth of discharge of AGM batteries Solar allows maximum amps at all times to head straight for batteries regardless of capacity without throttling for lead based. Lipo4 Batteries built in BMS stops overcharge, undervolt or anything the existing system throws at it that are above or below its parameters. Still testing, but having owned my van from new (14 Years) so far I'm totally impressed. Nespresso Coffee and wife and daughter with blown dry hair......result! If interested please let me know!
Sounds like a very successful transition to lithium batteries. Have they built in electronics ( the batteries ) ?
Noel.