Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Leisure battery being short circuited, dead motor battery

Hi Peter, that's interesting to know. In the winter I leave nothing on and nothing plugged in. But thinking about it I do have a 2 pin plug with cable plugged in, not connected to anything but I think I will unplug it and the cigarette lighter plug (leisure battery one), just in case.. Unfortunately my batteries aren't under warranty and I live in a cold climate, but then it is a ski resort so pros and cons. I will now be charging my batteries at least once a month, more in the winter. Thanks
The 2 pin plug in the inverter socket on the B pillar is a known method of draining leisure battery. The plug left in but with nothing connected still switches on the inverter circuit drawing current from your leisure battery 24/7.
Unfortunately the indicator lamp warning you that the socket is active is hidden by the cover flap when the plug is inserted.It would have been really helpful to have had it above the flap visible at all times

So my problem is now all sorted. I needed 3 new batteries. Two leisure batteries and one motor battery. Interestingly the batteries where all dated 2014 and my van manufacture date was 2015. It was an import vehicle from Austria I think, to Switzerland. Last year I also had to get a complete new Engine (thankfully VW paid for that, even though it was outside warranty). I still love my van but a few teething problems. Whilst isolating at the weekend in my van (in snowy Switzerland) my fridge hinge broke so that will be the next thing I will be looking up here. What a great forum!!

You are welcome.

Can I ask you why your engine had to be replaced?

And for the date of the batteries, I wouldn't worry about that. Your van may be manufactured in 2015, but all the other parts will be older than the manufacture date of the van (this is logic).

Look at your windows. In the left underside cornor of your front windscreen (right side if you sit in it), you will see the VW logo and a lot of numbers and letters. The lowest line will give you a number and some dots.
The number should be 14 or 4 and then a couple of dots.
The 14 or 4 is manufacture year of the window, and the dots are the months or so.
1585675156874.png
This window is from 2008 (or, but not likely, from 2018).
My van is modelyear 2010, but was manufactured in november 2009. All my windows have the number 9.
Almost every part of your van will have a date stamp. Like this wheel centercap is from 2015 with the arrow pointing at month 11.
1585675406949.png

So my problem is now all sorted. I needed 3 new batteries. Two leisure batteries and one motor battery. Interestingly the batteries where all dated 2014 and my van manufacture date was 2015. It was an import vehicle from Austria I think, to Switzerland. Last year I also had to get a complete new Engine (thankfully VW paid for that, even though it was outside warranty). I still love my van but a few teething problems. Whilst isolating at the weekend in my van (in snowy Switzerland) my fridge hinge broke so that will be the next thing I will be looking up here. What a great forum!!
Just to let you know that the hinges are available if your search for the topic on here. Also the hinges are all the same for the fridge, cooker and sink also the wardrobe door and rear as well. so if you cant get Chrome just swop one for one on the back you dont even notice its a different colour..

Just to let you know that the hinges are available if your search for the topic on here. Also the hinges are all the same for the fridge, cooker and sink also the wardrobe door and rear as well. so if you cant get Chrome just swop one for one on the back you dont even notice its a different colour..
Thanks Peter for the advice, it looks like a really tight corner to get a spanner in to.

You are welcome.

Can I ask you why your engine had to be replaced?

And for the date of the batteries, I wouldn't worry about that. Your van may be manufactured in 2015, but all the other parts will be older than the manufacture date of the van (this is logic).

Look at your windows. In the left underside cornor of your front windscreen (right side if you sit in it), you will see the VW logo and a lot of numbers and letters. The lowest line will give you a number and some dots.
The number should be 14 or 4 and then a couple of dots.
The 14 or 4 is manufacture year of the window, and the dots are the months or so.
View attachment 56826
This window is from 2008 (or, but not likely, from 2018).
My van is modelyear 2010, but was manufactured in november 2009. All my windows have the number 9.
Almost every part of your van will have a date stamp. Like this wheel centercap is from 2015 with the arrow pointing at month 11.
View attachment 56827
Hi the engine needed to be replaced as the piston wasn't firing straight (I think just on startup as that is when I could hear a problem). There was therefore unusual wear in the piston housing. I noticed the noise and a lot of fuel being used on start up. I remember reading somewhere this year that VW ambulances used in Scandinavian countries have had in some cases have several engine changes. Thankfully after lots of to and fro with VW they paid for the majority of it and I just had to pay 500CHF.

Hi the engine needed to be replaced as the piston wasn't firing straight (I think just on startup as that is when I could hear a problem). There was therefore unusual wear in the piston housing. I noticed the noise and a lot of fuel being used on start up. I remember reading somewhere this year that VW ambulances used in Scandinavian countries have had in some cases have several engine changes. Thankfully after lots of to and fro with VW they paid for the majority of it and I just had to pay 500CHF.
Thanks for the clearing up.
What engine code do you have? As it is a later model, I suppose it isn't the CCHA like mine? That was only in the beginning they made this engine code.
I haven't had any problems with the engine. Only with the usual EGR.

Back