Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

New owner with basic questions about motor battery and oil..

MyT6.1whitevan

MyT6.1whitevan

Vehicle
T6.1 Coast 150
1. My brand new 6.1 Coast 150 4 mo will need the first oil change soon....how many liters needed with oil filter change? Planning to stick with 0w30 VW oil. Comments?
2. To charge or trickle charge MOTOR battery..... where/how properly connect c-tek charger????
3. When the fridge is on but car is parked... the fridge is still on draining the coach battery? How fast? Sure for short stops I will leave it on but how to manage this in general?
4. Is levelling the van while camping/resting for a few hours crucial for operation of equipment like fridge, heater?
5. I have an OEM bug screen installed in the sliding window over the sink. It seems like it shuts correctly but also makes that window leaking inside. Just mine?
Thanks in advance.

1 - For a first service (we have just had ours) I'd always be using a dealer. If you DIY and have a single engine issue they will not touch it with a bargepole.
2 - Just plug your EHU into your house. Both keeps the leisures updated and trickle. Unless you are in and out the drivers door a lot without driving there need to trickle on a new battery is near zero.
3 - 3 to 4 days without any further driving. Depdns on heater and lights use as well as charging phones. Can be 2, can be 5, 3 to 4 a good medium.
4 - No
5 - Remove the bug screen and close the window properly. They are not meant to stay in.

Last edited:
Oil change around 6 litres. I use castrol long life 5w30. Filter online from opie oils. I always use bosch filters.
The fridge should run 4 or 5 days on batteries alone.
You don't need to be level all the time.
Fly screen isn't waterproof so remove it in bad weather
Plugging in at home should trickle charge the motor battery.
If you are in warranty get the dealer to do the first service.

Hi for leaving the fridge on I'd recommend installing a solar panel on the roof.
This summer my fridge has been running continuously for 51 days ... in two occasions at least it was left parked for 7 full days.

Oil 7 litres. Do not put 8 litres in (2x4 ltr cans) which will put it to full on dipstick. Oil level is mid low to high with hot engine.
Long life oil needed, I use Castrol.
I've done oil changes on an annual basis, every second year with VW doing the others, no warranty issue when EGR pipe failed after 6.5 years.
Last oil change that I did had lots of sludge slowly drain out with the result that oil stayed fresh for longer than after VW change which I suspect is a quick suck it out job.

My warranty is way to valuable to me to be giving anyone an excuse to swerve a claim. How long is your warranty? Is it really worth the risk for the sake of the service cost?

My warranty is way to valuable to me to be giving anyone an excuse to swerve a claim. How long is your warranty? Is it really worth the risk for the sake of the service cost?
I am on the 2 year service/warranty package, taken out just before Cali 6 years old with a VW gap from standard 3 year warranty until then with no VW issue.
My oil changes were done as I only do about 5,000 miles per annum so no where near VW's 20K oil changes. I have had VW services on a 2 year basis just to keep their records updated. ie I've done 6 oil changes in 6 years with under 30K total miles recorded.

I am on the 2 year service/warranty package, taken out just before Cali 6 years old with a VW gap from standard 3 year warranty until then with no VW issue.
My oil changes were done as I only do about 5,000 miles per annum so no where near VW's 20K oil changes. I have had VW services on a 2 year basis just to keep their records updated. ie I've done 6 oil changes in 6 years with under 30K total miles recorded.
Whilst a vehicle is in warranty the manufacturer will carry out checks to ensure the servicing has been carried out correctly, if they (in this instance VW) feel there is any doubt whatsoever, they (VW) will refute a warranty claim.
The first check carried out is “ has the vehicle been serviced to manufacturer standards” . I.e. OEM parts (filter) and approved consumables (oil), has it been carried out correctly as per VW instructions?
there are instances on the T6 forum where VW have refused warranty claims from people who cannot provide sufficient written evidence, ( to VW,), of the parts and in particular the oil used to service a van, let alone that it was done to “VW standards” despite the owner having followed the VW service schedule to the letter and with the correct parts / consumables.

IMO if you value the manufacturer warranty, make sure you have receipts for everything and can prove the work had been carried out to VW spec exactly.
if it were me I would bite the bullet for the first three years at least and get the service record from VW, resale value may well be affected if the early service history is not completed by the OEM Approved network.

edit:
European law (retained in U.K. law) says you do not have to have the vehicle serviced by the Manufacturer and you can have it carried out wherever you choose. But you must have servicing carried out the manufacturer guidelines to qualify for warranty Claims.
the Law is clear, the reality is not

edit: VW service records are digital, if you or another service the vehicle the service record will not be updated on the VW system (unless you or the third party had authorised access to the OEM system) . Therefore the manufacturer will claim the vehicle servicing has not been carried out correctly! Or indeed at all

Last edited:
Whilst a vehicle is in warranty the manufacturer will carry out checks to ensure the servicing has been carried out correctly, if they (in this instance VW) feel there is any doubt whatsoever, they (VW) will refute a warranty claim.
The first check carried out is “ has the vehicle been serviced to manufacturer standards” . I.e. OEM parts (filter) and approved consumables (oil), has it been carried out correctly as per VW instructions?
there are instances on the T6 forum where VW have refused warranty claims from people who cannot provide sufficient written evidence, ( to VW,), of the parts and in particular the oil used to service a van, let alone that it was done to “VW standards” despite the owner having followed the VW service schedule to the letter and with the correct parts / consumables.

IMO if you value the manufacturer warranty, make sure you have receipts for everything and can prove the work had been carried out to VW spec exactly.
if it were me I would bite the bullet for the first three years at least and get the service record from VW, resale value may well be affected if the early service history is not completed by the OEM Approved network.

edit:
European law (retained in U.K. law) says you do not have to have the vehicle serviced by the Manufacturer and you can have it carried out wherever you choose. But you must have servicing carried out the manufacturer guidelines to qualify for warranty Claims.
the Law is clear, the reality is not

edit: VW service records are digital, if you or another service the vehicle the service record will not be updated on the VW system (unless you or the third party had authorised access to the OEM system) . Therefore the manufacturer will claim the vehicle servicing has not been carried out correctly! Or indeed at all
Most cases of failed warranty claims appear to be heresy quotes.
I personally get Manufacturer required services plus my own (local garage) interim annual services during any warranty period.
There isn't a huge saving in oil plus filter to be made by DIY.
VW labour rates are of course another matter.
VW have been offering good value service and warranty deals to get customers back recently.

Back