Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Battery useage

simplybikes

simplybikes

Folks....does anybody know if the electric motors in both the side door and tailgate use much battery.
I've been parked up for a week using door and tailgate constantly during this time and have found that my engine battery is dead, dead, dead. Can't think of anything that would kill the battery so quickly. Any ideas?
Also am I right in say that you can charge the engine battery from the leisure batteries?

Our experience is usage for 4 days, no issues with that period. Do you switch the driving lights and front interior lights to the off position, this prevents them going on every time you open the van.

I do believe that the 240V hook up will provide a charge for the engine battery, but then, when it comes to mechanics I'm not the brightest spark in the battery box :(

Edit:

As said above, turn the courtesy lights off everywhere!

I'm very conscious of turning things off and have indeed got the curtesy lights off. I'm a bit baffled by this as the van started 3 days ago first touch and today was dead. I'm clutching at straws trying to find out why the battery died hence my thinking about the doors.

I have had my van on the drive without hook-up for over a week, climbing in and out of it, packing it, unpacking it, rearranging it or just sitting in it to get some peace and never had a starter battery problem so I doubt if it down to electric door mechanisms.

Folks....does anybody know if the electric motors in both the side door and tailgate use much battery.
I've been parked up for a week using door and tailgate constantly during this time and have found that my engine battery is dead, dead, dead. Can't think of anything that would kill the battery so quickly. Any ideas?
Also am I right in say that you can charge the engine battery from the leisure batteries?

Wouldn't think the doors use much. I read somewhere that the full electric sliding door can flatten the battery but it sounds like your talking about the one that just activates as the door is closing.

One thing that could affect the battery is the radio if it's left on, particularly if you have the sat nav which is active whenever the radio is on.

You don't say how old your van is, if it's more than 4 years old you might expect the battery to be ropey.

You won't be able to charge the vehicle battery from the leisure batteries as you need at least 13.8 volts and lead acid batteries can't supply this. However, the onboard charger is supposed to charge the vehicle battery and should give it preference to the leisure batteries.

I think anyway E & OE !!

Do you mean the motor that pulls the last few inch. or do you got the fully automatic closing door?
Think that makes a difrrence...
Don't know on witch battery the door closing runs but i would say the lesures?
I am told everything behind the front seats to the back is working on lesure batts.

I think the electric closure of the side and rear doors utilise the Engine battery as they are also found on normal commercial T5 panel vans also.

The electric door is part of the van, so will be off the engine battery. Only the camping kit is driven by the leisure batteries, parking heater, fridge, lights etc.

We spent a night at Gloucester services recently and the motorway was so noisy, after 5 mins in bed I dropped the roof . Unfortunately I forgot to turn off the ignition and was woken 6 hours later with a persistent beep. As the DRLs were on and I guess the engine electrics too, the battery was flat in a matter of hours.

So four days of an electric door opening and closing will definitely flatten the engine battery.

BTW we will never stay on a UK services again, even one as good as Gloucester!

Alan

Modern engine batteries are not designed for long term usage, as are leisure batteries, but a short sharp discharge for the starter and then a quick charge from the alternator.

Thanks for the replies. I think it is a combination of the age of the battery and the constant usage of the sliding door and tailgate. The van is 2006 and I suspect the battery is that age so probably didn't take much to flatten it. A new battery it is then.

That is a good age for an engine battery, even if the vehicle is not a daily driver.

Also if it is a 2006 van, then the hookup will not charge the engine battery that is a feature of the T5.1.

So you will only recharge the engine battery by going for a long drive. Also if it is the original battery then it is probably a bit tired and not too expensive to replace.

The main culprits for the engine battery.

• Electric side door - the full closing one rather than the feature that closes the last few millimeters I would say.
  • Interior lights - the one controlled from the switch by the hatch to the roof (as these turn on the lights in the cabin and the ones in footwells - we always turn this off when camping
  • Using the 12V charger in the dashboard (always use the ones behind the driving seats)
  • Using the stereo when parked (most people use their phone with a bluetooth speaker.
T

Also if it is a 2006 van, then the hookup will not charge the engine battery that is a feature of the T5.1.

So you will only recharge the engine battery by going for a long drive. Also if it is the original battery then it is probably a bit tired and not too expensive to replace.

The main culprits for the engine battery.

• Electric side door - the full closing one rather than the feature that closes the last few millimeters I would say.
  • Interior lights - the one controlled from the switch by the hatch to the roof (as these turn on the lights in the cabin and the ones in footwells - we always turn this off when camping
  • Using the 12V charger in the dashboard (always use the ones behind the driving seats)
  • Using the stereo when parked (most people use their phone with a bluetooth speaker.
T
Slight correction needed: engine battery is charged on hook up from T5 2008 onwards, not that this makes any difference to the OP.
Mine is a 2009 and definitely charges the engine battery as I found out when I stayed on a site without EHU and flattened the battery in 2 days thanks to injudicious use of the electric sliding door. Never had any problems when on hook up.

Sent from my Galaxy S6

Back