Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Leisure Battery Help please

Mark Ewen

Mark Ewen

Vehicle
T5 Beach
Hi there, we have recently bought a 2015 Cali Beach which we use for w/e trips away, but also want to pull our caravan (no boo's please!) with it for longer trips away. My question is, can I use the leisure battery to power my caravan, if so, do I need to remain connected by the 13 pin towing electric cable?

???? Unless you've invented a way of transmitting electricity without the use of cable , then I'd say yes.

I do not think the Leisure Battery is connected to the Towing Electrics in any way. The engine Starter Battery would be the one that is connected to provide 12v supply for the fridge etc: when towing.
I'm sure a competent Autoelectrician could rewire the power supply to the towing socket to come from the leisure battery which would mean you would have to leave the caravan plugged into the vehicle on site.
Myself, I would leave well alone and run the Caravan of its own Leisure Battery when on-site.

Pin 9 should be permanently live for interior lights and battery charging I believe. That would indicate that it is wired to the alternator and engine battery as standard.

Having said that, it could be wired to the leisure batteries as these are also charged by the alternator. However, that is 4 batteries taking a charge which will strain the alternator a lot.

So the answer is probably no.

I would give Westfalia in Bristol a call.

Alan

I was under the impression the power pins were fed from the Cali leisure batteries.
If not, it's v simple to reconnect.

Pin 9 should be permanently live for interior lights and battery charging I believe. That would indicate that it is wired to the alternator and engine battery as standard.

Having said that, it could be wired to the leisure batteries as these are also charged by the alternator. However, that is 4 batteries taking a charge which will strain the alternator a lot.

So the answer is probably no.

I would give Westfalia in Bristol a call.

Alan
The OP has a Beach, so may only have 1 Leisure Battery in the Vehicle.

I do not think the Leisure Battery is connected to the Towing Electrics in any way. The engine Starter Battery would be the one that is connected to provide 12v supply for the fridge etc: when towing.
I'm sure a competent Autoelectrician could rewire the power supply to the towing socket to come from the leisure battery which would mean you would have to leave the caravan plugged into the vehicle on site.
Myself, I would leave well alone and run the Caravan of its own Leisure Battery when on-site.
My caravan doesn't have a leisure battery. I was looking for a way to use the VW leisure battery to power the caravan.

???? Unless you've invented a way of transmitting electricity without the use of cable , then I'd say yes.
Sorry, I meant to write that I didn't know if an alternate means was possible, ie a cable from the VW battery to the caravan hook-up inlet.

My caravan doesn't have a leisure battery. I was looking for a way to use the VW leisure battery to power the caravan.
Just had a thought. Leave the towing electrics as they are. Get an Autoelectrician to add a supplementary socket on the vehicle wired into the Leisure Battery with appropriate lead to connect it to the caravan whilst on site.