Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Leisure Battery Not Charging.

O

Oz Fisher

Vehicle
T5 Beach
Hello there.
I have a 2013 Cali Beach.
We have owned it for 17 months now and recently, the leisure battery appears to be running down without any excess use.
I have charged the battery using an external charger, and it seems fine, but I don't think that it is getting a charge from the vans's system.
I have checked all the fuses under the passenger seat and replaced the 15amp charging fuse (on it's own little bank).
How can I check this and where do I need to look?
I don't mind buying a multi meter etc. but I'm not sure where I should be putting the probes.
Any help would be appreciated. Thanks, Oz & Debz.

Hello there.
I have a 2013 Cali Beach.
We have owned it for 17 months now and recently, the leisure battery appears to be running down without any excess use.
I have charged the battery using an external charger, and it seems fine, but I don't think that it is getting a charge from the vans's system.
I have checked all the fuses under the passenger seat and replaced the 15amp charging fuse (on it's own little bank).
How can I check this and where do I need to look?
I don't mind buying a multi meter etc. but I'm not sure where I should be putting the probes.
Any help would be appreciated. Thanks, Oz & Debz.
If you get a 12v socket voltmeter plugged into one of the 12v sockets in the rear then you could easily check:
1. Voltage of Leisure battery.
2. Charging voltage when engine running
3. Charging voltage when on the built in Mains charger, when on Hookup, if you have this option.
The Leisure battery is 7+ years old and if not charged monthly, presuming you have a built in mains charger and mains hookup available at home, as recommended in Handbook, then your battery may be failing.
This gadget provides USB + additional 12v sockets but also a digital volts display.
F572AD66-1648-46B5-9A63-2CF57FE2137B.jpeg
Available from Amazon and eBay.

I really appreciate that.
It seems unlikely that this is the original battery (see pic below).
I have used the tester below, in the dash-top socket with the engine running, and it shows no Alternator Charging voltage (although shows that main engine-bay battery is fine - using 12v socket in the cup holder).
There is no hook-up option, up but I presumed that daily use would charge the battery successfully.

41ebsyCDyZL._AC_.jpg

20200830_114734 (2).jpg

Thanks loads Mr WelshGas, I have just figured it out.
Unbelievably, I unplugged the annoying stop start at the engine a few weeks ago. This has cut the Blue Motion circuit, but not thrown up a fault on the dash. And this, is why the split charger is not working. Phew!

Thanks loads Mr WelshGas, I have just figured it out.
Unbelievably, I unplugged the annoying stop start at the engine a few weeks ago. This has cut the Blue Motion circuit, but not thrown up a fault on the dash. And this, is why the split charger is not working. Phew!
Trying to outwit VW.
Getting a plug in Voltmeter would help in the future.