Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Off grid and powered door...

Anthony1

Anthony1

Too young to be old
VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180 4Motion
Does anyone know how long you can stay off grid before your batteries go flat, just running the lights and fridge and of coure the thirsty powered door.

Second question. Has anyone dismantled the poweredc door mechanism? At the moment mine works about 50/50.

WelshGas

WelshGas

Retired after 42 yrs and enjoying Life.
Top Poster
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180 4Motion
Does anyone know how long you can stay off grid before your batteries go flat, just running the lights and fridge and of coure the thirsty powered door.

Second question. Has anyone dismantled the poweredc door mechanism? At the moment mine works about 50/50.
Leisure batteries should last for 3+ days no problem. Just keep an eye on the voltage. Fridge should cut out if it drops to 11.5 volts.

Powered Sliding Door - not very long and really depends on how much you use it, that’s why there is an On/Off button, I believe, on the Dashboard. Also, switch Off the cab lights or they will come on every time a door is opened.

GrannyJen

GrannyJen

Top Poster
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204 4Motion
Hi Anthony, My Albert had an electric door. I managed 5 days once but it was tight. When I'm off grid the courtesy lights are off and the electric door turned off.

Anthony1

Anthony1

Too young to be old
VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180 4Motion
Thank you both re. the powered door.

I have had this van for coming up to three years and I didn't know you could turn the door off. I thought that button was to lock the door.

So much for reading handbooks eh?

Seamelody

Seamelody

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
Same here my Ocean has a powered door had no idea it could be set to manual to conserve power.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WelshGas

WelshGas

Retired after 42 yrs and enjoying Life.
Top Poster
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180 4Motion
Someone, somewhere cut down a tree to produce that Handbook.:headbang

Seamelody

Seamelody

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
Sorry Bud

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Anthony1

Anthony1

Too young to be old
VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180 4Motion
I switched the electric door off but could n ot open it, when the when was unlocked.

ArunAlec

ArunAlec

Top Poster
VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180
I switched the electric door off but could n ot open it, when the when was unlocked.
Do you mean you disabled the door but couldn’t open it manually? You should be able to although it’s heavy!

Anthony1

Anthony1

Too young to be old
VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180 4Motion
Do you mean you disabled the door but couldn’t open it manually? You should be able to although it’s heavy!
Yes, I had to reach in from the driver's side to do internally.

Last edited:
O

orbital

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
Do ‘power latching’ doors use much power too? Surely not?

O

orbital

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
Some, but not in the same league as a full electric sliding function.
Thanks. I’m still on a steep learning curve after buying a new T6 Cali Ocean. There were some insane offers about a few months ago and I took the plunge. Still, I’ve wanted a VW camper since the age of four (my son’s age) so you could say it was delayed gratification writ large!

J

jjpoppy

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150

Interesting question - I have been attempting to find out if it is ok to use the powered side door manually (power off) without damaging the motor or the cables. The manual is not helpful, and my local VW dealer suggests not to open/close manually other than in an emergency??

Is the somebody out there who knows??

jeff

jeff

Home is where you park it !
VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 174
Interesting question - I have been attempting to find out if it is ok to use the powered side door manually (power off) without damaging the motor or the cables. The manual is not helpful, and my local VW dealer suggests not to open/close manually other than in an emergency??

Is the somebody out there who knows??
Hi I have been using mine manually for the last twelve years every time I camp..
Two weeks holiday every year and numerous weekends.
I have had one set of cables in that time about four years ago due to a break.

J

jjpoppy

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
Hi, Thanks for this, sounds like a good idea to go to manual whilst camping to save battery power, and be able to open the door part way, thank you.