Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Off grid and powered door...

Anthony1

Anthony1

Too young to be old
VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180 4Motion
Does anyone know how long you can stay off grid before your batteries go flat, just running the lights and fridge and of coure the thirsty powered door.

Second question. Has anyone dismantled the poweredc door mechanism? At the moment mine works about 50/50.

Does anyone know how long you can stay off grid before your batteries go flat, just running the lights and fridge and of coure the thirsty powered door.

Second question. Has anyone dismantled the poweredc door mechanism? At the moment mine works about 50/50.
Leisure batteries should last for 3+ days no problem. Just keep an eye on the voltage. Fridge should cut out if it drops to 11.5 volts.

Powered Sliding Door - not very long and really depends on how much you use it, that’s why there is an On/Off button, I believe, on the Dashboard. Also, switch Off the cab lights or they will come on every time a door is opened.

Hi Anthony, My Albert had an electric door. I managed 5 days once but it was tight. When I'm off grid the courtesy lights are off and the electric door turned off.

Thank you both re. the powered door.

I have had this van for coming up to three years and I didn't know you could turn the door off. I thought that button was to lock the door.

So much for reading handbooks eh?

Same here my Ocean has a powered door had no idea it could be set to manual to conserve power.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sorry Bud

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I switched the electric door off but could n ot open it, when the when was unlocked.

I switched the electric door off but could n ot open it, when the when was unlocked.
Do you mean you disabled the door but couldn’t open it manually? You should be able to although it’s heavy!

Do you mean you disabled the door but couldn’t open it manually? You should be able to although it’s heavy!
Yes, I had to reach in from the driver's side to do internally.

Last edited:
Do ‘power latching’ doors use much power too? Surely not?

Do ‘power latching’ doors use much power too? Surely not?
Some, but not in the same league as a full electric sliding function.

Some, but not in the same league as a full electric sliding function.
Thanks. I’m still on a steep learning curve after buying a new T6 Cali Ocean. There were some insane offers about a few months ago and I took the plunge. Still, I’ve wanted a VW camper since the age of four (my son’s age) so you could say it was delayed gratification writ large!

Interesting question - I have been attempting to find out if it is ok to use the powered side door manually (power off) without damaging the motor or the cables. The manual is not helpful, and my local VW dealer suggests not to open/close manually other than in an emergency??

Is the somebody out there who knows??
Hi I have been using mine manually for the last twelve years every time I camp..
Two weeks holiday every year and numerous weekends.
I have had one set of cables in that time about four years ago due to a break.

Interesting info and pleased I read this as I was about to post.

I presume this is offgrid camping (ie static but not on EHU the entire time)? I am planning a trip to NW Scotland in January and will be running the heater almost constantly when stopped I imagine due to the temps being around freezing. Nevertheless, I will most likely be on the move a fair bit too. At least 30mins up to 2hrs of driving each day so I’m imagining I’ll be ok keeping the batteries topped up?

I have bought an Anker 535 power bank to run devices and as a back up for an electric heater in an emergency but I’m considering bringing my Honda EU22I with me as full backup. That said, I’m pretty sure driving will be fine…?

From previous experience in my old Concorde, the biggest issue was toilet capacity and I had 3x toilet cassettes which, together with the 250l water capacity, had me truly offgrid for 7+days. Therefore I’ve bought an additional waste tank for my 335 Porta Potti as backup.

I’m thinking I’ll be a maximum of 3 days off grid before hitting a campsite. Does that sound realistic with a bit of driving in between?

I’m also about to buy a full set of Brandrup Isolite Extreme for all the windows to preserve heat. Anyone with any experiences?

Many thanks

I presume this is offgrid camping (ie static but not on EHU the entire time)? I am planning a trip to NW Scotland in January and will be running the heater almost constantly when stopped I imagine due to the temps being around freezing. Nevertheless, I will most likely be on the move a fair bit too. At least 30mins up to 2hrs of driving each day so I’m imagining I’ll be ok keeping the batteries topped up?

I have bought an Anker 535 power bank to run devices and as a back up for an electric heater in an emergency but I’m considering bringing my Honda EU22I with me as full backup. That said, I’m pretty sure driving will be fine…?

From previous experience in my old Concorde, the biggest issue was toilet capacity and I had 3x toilet cassettes which, together with the 250l water capacity, had me truly offgrid for 7+days. Therefore I’ve bought an additional waste tank for my 335 Porta Potti as backup.

I’m thinking I’ll be a maximum of 3 days off grid before hitting a campsite. Does that sound realistic with a bit of driving in between?

I’m also about to buy a full set of Brandrup Isolite Extreme for all the windows to preserve heat. Anyone with any experiences?

Many thanks
When your toilet's full, pop into the woods with your trowel.

Pop into a campsite as most do service stops and charge £5- £10 to empty loo and fill van with water and can let you use showers sometime too.

Many thanks
how many of you will be travelling ?
As you are presumably outside the van during the day exploring, you may not need to use the 335 every single time, just in the evening/ night. Two of us, and the 335 lasts us 3 days. Not sure you'd need a second tank. The Anker535 is also useless, for three days (stationary) you'd have enough LBs to charge everything, the fridge won't work so hard anyway in those temperatures, and the 535 will struggle to power any electric heather and certainly not for more than an hour only. You said you'll drive the van daily anyway, that will recharge the batteries and prolong the 3 days off grid capability to 4-5. I'd leave the petrol generator at home too. As a fail safe, I'd rather invest in high quality sleeping bags, more cost effective, space effective, weight effective than carrying a gen, an extra battery and an electric heather.
Good thinking on the window insulation. I prefer an outside solution an I went for a 10mm thick cover: https://www.fritz-berger.de/artikel/hindermann-thermomatte-classic-131093

Thanks for your reply.

It’ll just be me on a solo trip. Get the point about the genny. Figured that was probably a bit of an overkill. But I am concerned about the leisure batteries with some decent heater use if the weather is so inclement I’m stuck in the van for large portions of the day/evening.
I can most likely mitigate that with the driving and also the thermal insulation of the windows.

I’m going to get the internal blinds from Brandrup because I’m wilding and like the safety aspect of being able to move swiftly if needed. I have an external windscreen cover for campsites.

I’ve managed to source a used (but very clean) 335 for £40 so will take the waste tank with me as a back up. Having had Norovirus in the Concorde, I’m keen to ensure I’ve always got a reasonable receptacle to hand! ‍

Thanks for your reply.

It’ll just be me on a solo trip. Get the point about the genny. Figured that was probably a bit of an overkill. But I am concerned about the leisure batteries with some decent heater use if the weather is so inclement I’m stuck in the van for large portions of the day/evening.
I can most likely mitigate that with the driving and also the thermal insulation of the windows.

I’m going to get the internal blinds from Brandrup because I’m wilding and like the safety aspect of being able to move swiftly if needed. I have an external windscreen cover for campsites.

I’ve managed to source a used (but very clean) 335 for £40 so will take the waste tank with me as a back up. Having had Norovirus in the Concorde, I’m keen to ensure I’ve always got a reasonable receptacle to hand! ‍
1. The Leisure Batteries can power Fridge and diesel Parking heater for 48+ hrs without starting the engine. Personal experience at -7c in Norway , this year.
The trick is, make sure the Leisure Batteries are fully charged and you minimise power drain when engine off.

When you start your trip, Fridge On and when driving switch on heated seats or headlights when driving as this forces the alternator to provide full charge to the Leisure Batteries overriding the BlueMotion regenerative braking 80% limit, so they are charged to 100% capacity.

Start the Parking Heater 30 mins or so before arriving at the campsite/parking spot. ( You can drive with the Parking Heater On ) Maximum electrical power is used on startup, so start the heater with engine running.
If putting the roof up do so with engine running to minimise Leisure Battery load.

When parked up with Parking Heater On, Do Not switch Parking Heater On/Off to control temperature. Leave it on for the 3 days and just raise and lower the Temperature Level on the Control Panel.

Starting the Parking Heater up, from cold, uses more electrical power than leaving it running for 24 hrs or so.

Back