Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Levelling California on site.

We use the chocks and a spirit level. Take no more than two mins to get right :thumb

We are lazy. We use the auto-level function of our air suspension system :-D

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPad met behulp van Tapatalk

bvddobb said:

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPad met behulp van Tapatalk

Does that work if you are on a slope both ways, ie individual wheels or only front/rear pairs?

Chocks and a cheap caravan double spirit level that is about 3" square

rippers said:
yep the standard compass app on iPhone has a levelling crosshair

Just found it on the iphone , great call :thanks

briwy said:
bvddobb said:
Does that work if you are on a slope both ways, ie individual wheels or only front/rear pairs?
Works on individual wheels.

Thule levelling ramps, a tiny bit of water in the sink.

Have been looking at levelling ramps on ebay. But not sure which flavour will taste best for a Cali.

Our hire vehicle had a huge bag that wasn't needed on our short trip. We thought it a waste of space. We no doubt need something but don't want to give up too much room. I expect bigger vehicles will need bigger ramps.

Also, they seem to be packed in 2's, but I can see that you might need at least 3 if you sloping in two different directions.

Finally, I think chocks are to act as a brake rather than levelling. Is that right?

Interested in further views on levelling ramps.

I strongly suggest not rushing.

If you want a set of levelling ramps then you can buy mine. Unused since purchase 60 camping nights ago.

Seriously, I have yet to need them. The cali has such a small profile compared to most of the pantechnicons on wheels that pass for motorhomes that a level spot can normally be found for it.

GrannyJen said:
I strongly suggest not rushing.

If you want a set of levelling ramps then you can buy mine. Unused since purchase 60 camping nights ago.

Seriously, I have yet to need them. The cali has such a small profile compared to most of the pantechnicons on wheels that pass for motorhomes that a level spot can normally be found for it.

I'll second that.
People seem to carry a lot of equipment that is rarely used.
We've never had any, never needed any.

acer said:
so perhaps go without, and try to find some bricks / wooden planks on arrival if necessary

No need, we've always got it near enough by careful positioning.

We do have a set and have occasionally used them when in a sloping field. I would jettison them if we needed the space, but with only two of us we seem to have ample room for them and they are light. (Like others we are in the don't get it until you know you need it camp- so no awnings, toppers etc yet)

We have a set of ramps, use them occasionally as we wild camp most of the time, I do try and avoid using them if I can due to the hand brake needing to be released to turn the drivers seat. The chocks do work but you always get some roll back onto them, in the morning there is always the job of inching forward to get the chocks out again. All in all a bit of of a faf, a button handbrake would solve this, why VW do not fit one I am not sure.

We find them pretty useful - in this instance, they allowed us to pick the best spot on the site - we were at the "top" of the ramps front and back on the drivers side!

P1020364.jpg

They make it easier to get the spare wheel in/out as well.
Can't get the spare off our 4Motion without lifting the back end a bit.

Back