Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

LHD Cali - Import back to UK or sell in Germany?

R

Roofdown

Hi,
I'm looking for some advice...
I've been working on secondment in Berlin for the last few years and will be returning to the UK in the next couple of months. My wife and I bought a 2012 ex-VW management Cali when we arrived and have had great fun on trips from Norway to Croatia. We love our Cali, but times have changed now that a little person has come into our lives and we've decided to buy a house. Unfortunately we need to sell our Cali to boost our deposit.
So, to cut to the chase, the question is:
Is it better (financially) to sell our LHD, German registered Cali in Germany or import it and sell in the UK? Is there a market for secondhand LHD Cali's in the UK?

:help

I suppose it would always depend on price. You're not going to get as much in the Uk i would guess. I wouldn't be opposed to one but i drive a LHD car anyway.

If you'd plan to sell in the UK (rather than continue to own it because you know it's history etc), then you should sell on the Continent. Because RHD Cali's are freely available in the UK (38 on Autotrader (cars) tonight) LHD examples are always going to struggle. The one LHD eg on there is advertised for £1K to £4k less than the T4 Westy examples (which were only available in LHD) and it has been there a while, despite being 4 years younger than the Westys.

I am Rep of Ireland, am looking for a Cali and will have to import anyway. If you give me some details I might be interested in yours. You could Private Message me if you like.

Noeleen

So the consensus seems to be to sell locally.
Thanks for your advice.

+ Mangan - Hi Noeleen, unfortunately although I'm a long time lurker on here, this is my first post and hence I can't PM yet.
The spec of the van is: 2012 LHD T5.1 California, Silver, 140PS diesel, 6spd manual, 43k km, FVWSH, FRT & RR parking sensors, TPMS, removable towbar, alarm & immobiliser, safe, winter wheels and tyres, cruise, heated FRT seats, 3 zone AC, VW DAB radio/CD with iPod control, diesel heater.

I think a right hand drive 2012 with your spec would sell for around £36/37k ish? So taking £4k off for LHD would be around £32/33k.

Worth comparing to what you'd get locally.

These figures are just based on what I see here, I don't work in the trade or have any professional knowledge.

Back