Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

California Time - YouTube Channel

Hi Everyone

Now that we are up and running with our new channel ‘California Time’ I thought I’d start this new thread that we can update you on the videos we make and publish.

Thank you for all the feedback on the other thread, much to take in and digest and lots of ideas between me and Sarah.

Today we have published a couple of ‘mini’ clips, where we’ve stripped back all of the fancy stuff and just covered two things;
1) The T6.1 fly screens
and
2) The L-Shaped table (i.e. the table strap)

We have got a ‘this is us collecting our new Cali’ together with unpacking everything it came with video - we’re just finishing it off. Hopefully to upload at the weekend whilst we are on our first camping trip.

Thanks for supporting us. I won‘t beg you to subscribe, but it is the easiest way for you to be notified when we upload new stuff.

Don’t worry - the fun stuff is coming :)

California Time Mini - Installing OEM VW Side Window Fly Screens on a T6.1 California

California Time Mini - We create an L-SHAPE table in our VW California! See how simple it is!
Subeditor already enjoying the content

Well another Friday rolls around so here is another video, launching at 6pm tonight.

This time we’re reviewing the Sea to Summit self inflating campervan mattress. This has had a lot of discussion on here before so we hope you’ll find this interesting and helpful.

We will try to be there at 6pm for the premiere, so please do post any questions or comments in the chat as the video airs.

See you later and thank you for all your wonderful support

Hi everyone

Thank you all for the brilliant support you have been giving us - it's really inspiring us to keep going and think of new video content for you all.

Yesterday we published our new video about a recent trip we did to the Tan Hill Inn - in the Yorkshire Dales on the Pennine Way. Stunning spot, hope you enjoy :)

Hey everyone - we keep being asked about why we chose the spec we did so we have made a video about it. It's long (sorry) but we hope it is worth it!

Hope this helps if you are considering an order for an Ocean specifically, although a lot still applies to the Coast and Beach too.

Thanks for the helpful video.
280ish days to delivery? LUXURY! 329 days for me and counting (just gone into build I hear - hurray!)
Reassuring to see your confusion on the Z2C as well. I think that box gets automatically ticked when you tick the sports pack. When I ordered you couldn't spec it individually. Given the massive standard spec on an Ocean, I think it just adds laminated glass in the cab windows (windscreen already laminated). Whilst that will have some acoustic and perhaps heat insulation properties, I can't imagine its worth £800 of anyone's money.
I do think VW would do themselves a massive favour by employing an itguy to sort their configurator out, to show clearly what you get IN ADDITION if you tick a box, and show the standard equipment on another page. Are you that guy?!
Hey everyone - we keep being asked about why we chose the spec we did so we have made a video about it. It's long (sorry) but we hope it is worth it!

Hope this helps if you are considering an order for an Ocean specifically, although a lot still applies to the Coast and Beach too.

Oh if only I was! It is so confusing for people when trying to configure a van. The online system is so often out of date too, such a pain. At least now the Ocean spec is much better than it used to be. The T6 was even more complicated to get to a perfect specification too.

Hi Everyone, a quick fun video on Nespresso in our Cali - lots of other suggestions for coffee too… what’s your favourite method?!

The BEST camping coffee?! No Power Nespresso in our VW California!

Hi Everyone, a quick fun video on Nespresso in our Cali - lots of other suggestions for coffee too… what’s your favourite method?!

The BEST camping coffee?! No Power Nespresso in our VW California!
Aeropress wins for me - simple, less waste, great americano

Hi Everyone

Today at 6pm we are launching our new video on our suggested top 10 essentials for new campervan owners. Hope you can join us and have a mini live chat at the same time.

See you there!

Top 10 Campervan ESSENTIAL Accessories for Beginners with our VW California Ocean

Hi Everyone

Today at 6pm we are launching our new video on our suggested top 10 essentials for new campervan owners. Hope you can join us and have a mini live chat at the same time.

See you there!

Top 10 Campervan ESSENTIAL Accessories for Beginners with our VW California Ocean
Hello both @itguy
Just noticed that our van features in your Outer Hebrides Pt3 video :)
Ours is the 2-tone Copper Bronze at Balranald Campsite. Sorry not to have not to have bumped into you and consumed some wine :)

EA393676-FB7F-417C-A954-1AFE9DDBF5FD.png

Hello both @itguy
Ours is the 2-tone Copper Bronze at Balranald Campsite. Sorry not to have not to have bumped into you and consumed some wine :)

View attachment 85768

Well hello!!

I seem to remember that you were there on the same night where our iso-top got a soaking.. quite some night that! I remember saying to Sarah that "the lovely two-tone doesn't have a roof topper or wrap on it" and we wondered how you got on. Did you manage to stay dry in the driving rain?

Such a fantastic place and brilliant facilities there. Hope you had a great trip.

Hello both @itguy

View attachment 85768
Hi all. I spotted the 2-tone van in the background and said to my wife it was the first one that matches my own van seen on a site that was not a promotional shot. Too far away to read your plate. Hope you had a good time up there !

Well hello!!

I seem to remember that you were there on the same night where our iso-top got a soaking.. quite some night that! I remember saying to Sarah that "the lovely two-tone doesn't have a roof topper or wrap on it" and we wondered how you got on. Did you manage to stay dry in the driving rain?

Such a fantastic place and brilliant facilities there. Hope you had a great trip.
Yes it was a very wet and windy night and I must admit I was a little concerned about having the roof up. Seeing a couple of others up (including yours), I thought we’d chance it. Certainly a good test of the structure that night. Yes, we did have some water ingress through the canvas - woke up and thought i’d wet myself :)

We were heading north on our trip (Barra to Lewis) whilst you were obviously heading south. Looking forward to your Barra and Vatersay episode.

Great to see the campsites that we stayed at again. Brings back memories of a lovely journey.

Hi all. I spotted the 2-tone van in the background and said to my wife it was the first one that matches my own van seen on a site that was not a promotional shot. Too far away to read your plate. Hope you had a good time up there !
It was a really good holiday thanks @This Eva . Beautiful and varied scenery and due to the distance and ferry crossings felt like a bit of an adventure.
I’d advise anybody thinking of going to book ferries and campsites as both were pretty full on our trip. Having said that, there are quite a few wild camping opportunities.
The other advice would be to ensure you buy food/drink/fuel when you pass a shop (they can be few and far between).
At Eilian Fraoich campsite I said to the owner - ‘excuse me, I have a problem. My wife is an alcoholic and she’s out of Sauvignon Blanc! Where can we buy some’ :) :)
Anyway it was an 11 mile round trip to the garage shop on the Stornaway Road to restock.

You have the perfect mix can i just say of adventure. , fun and technical videos , do NOT stop this format its fab, the over full oil vid was so good if it happens to anyone they will immediately not be worried anymore and know what to do, keep doing stuff like this please!!!! Well done Will and Sarah

Yes it was a very wet and windy night and I must admit I was a little concerned about having the roof up. Seeing a couple of others up (including yours), I thought we’d chance it. Certainly a good test of the structure that night. Yes, we did have some water ingress through the canvas - woke up and thought i’d wet myself :)

We were heading north on our trip (Barra to Lewis) whilst you were obviously heading south. Looking forward to your Barra and Vatersay episode.

Great to see the campsites that we stayed at again. Brings back memories of a lovely journey.
GG, are you sure water came through the canvas and it wasn't condensation ?
The whole point of a tent is to provide shelter, and the minimum feature of a canvas to be used for a tent is that it has to be waterproof.
I have been in the rain sleeping up top many nights through the last two years, and the canvas was , as I expected, waterproof and quite quick to dry afterwards.

It would also be useful to hear from Will @itguy what exactly happened to his Isotop.

The whole point of a tent is to provide shelter, and the minimum feature of a canvas to be used for a tent is that it has to be waterproof.
I have been in the rain sleeping up top many nights through the last two years, and the canvas was , as I expected, waterproof and quite quick to dry afterwards.

It would also be useful to hear from Will @itguy what exactly happened to his Isotop.
also i wonder if you are allowed to spray the material with any more waterproofing chemicals. to help with this? seems bonkers if it lets water in ?

also i wonder if you are allowed to spray the material with any more waterproofing chemicals. to help with this? seems bonkers if it lets water in ?
There was an issue in the past for older models, that the canvas wasn't (much?!) waterproof. Don't know how long ago. but certainly it should not be an issue again on newer models. On my 2019 T6 it certainly isn't the case, the canvas is waterproof. If a roof isn't waterproof, than one might as well sleep in a 40 quid decathlon tent that is waterproof instead of a 50k+ California...

Not condensation @Calimili
That night was high winds and driving rain. Will & Sarah @itguy were there the same night and had the same experience (see part 3 of their Outer Hebrides trip on YouTube - California Time).
We’ve had the roof up many times in the rain previously with no problems - it was the constant rain and a driving wind that was the issue.

VW specifically advise against waterproofing treatments but I believe some forum members have successfully treated theirs?

Not condensation @Calimili
That night was high winds and driving rain. Will & Sarah @itguy were there the same night and had the same experience (see part 3 of their Outer Hebrides trip on YouTube - California Time).
We’ve had the roof up many times in the rain previously with no problems - it was the constant rain and a driving wind that was the issue.
do you think water was coming in through the vents holes at the top on the sides?

It was a really good holiday thanks @This Eva . Beautiful and varied scenery and due to the distance and ferry crossings felt like a bit of an adventure.
I’d advise anybody thinking of going to book ferries and campsites as both were pretty full on our trip. Having said that, there are quite a few wild camping opportunities.
The other advice would be to ensure you buy food/drink/fuel when you pass a shop (they can be few and far between).
At Eilian Fraoich campsite I said to the owner - ‘excuse me, I have a problem. My wife is an alcoholic and she’s out of Sauvignon Blanc! Where can we buy some’ :) :)
Anyway it was an 11 mile round trip to the garage shop on the Stornaway Road to restock.

100% agree re stocking up on supplies. BRAVO to the Coop up there though.. very good supplies when you get to one!!

You have the perfect mix can i just say of adventure. , fun and technical videos , do NOT stop this format its fab, the over full oil vid was so good if it happens to anyone they will immediately not be worried anymore and know what to do, keep doing stuff like this please!!!! Well done Will and Sarah

You are too kind. We were getting concerned that our content was too varied, however we are getting great feedback so we'll keep on it !!

In terms of our iso-top - it got wet at the bottom only the side where there was driving wind and rain (all night!) against the canvas. This I think was due to the fact that the isotop was constantly touching the canvas due to the wind pushing the canvas against it, thus inducing wicking of the water through the canvas.

All cotton tents we've ever had (and our T6 Cali, and this one) have had wicking of water through them if things touch them when they are wet.

Solution is to use a topper or a wrap - both external and both solve the problem, but are a bit of a pain to put on, especially in high wind !

Alternatively, sleep downstairs with the roof down, if you can and if practical...

Back