Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Lighthouses

• Thread starter TwentyOneThirtyFive
  • Start date
This thread is shaping up nicely :)

Here's another different one, this is on Helgoland.
IMG_0287_zps245ab3ca.jpg

As the ferry from Kristiansand to Hirtshals left just a moment ago spotted thisone....from on the outer deck waving Norway goodbye....
image.jpg
Hard to see .....but it's a lighthouse

Took Magmil's advice and spent a weird but wonderful weekend around Dungeness. Here was our campsite one night, right next to the old (1904) lighthouse.

P1010113_zpsyb167f2f.jpg

Our next door neighbour was a German Cali. Anyway, from here you can also see the newer (1961?) lighthouse, built to replace the older one because the power station was blocking the light.

P1010114_zps1ifqmmos.jpg

It's a bit pricey to go up the lighthouse (£4 per adult), but I suppose we did camp in their car park and the views were excellent. Along the coast, great fish and chips to be had at the Pilot Inn :)

Last edited:
Not really a lighthouse and I wasn't in my Cali either but on my way home from Bradford this morning, I made a small diversion to see the transmitting tower at Emley Moor. Its the tallest freestanding structure in the UK. The sun was at just the right spot to make it look like a light house! I'm not familiar with the area but I am thinking there must be some great camping / walking there...

I used to work at the Point Of Ayr Colliery in the 1980s, North Wales at Tellacker, I am not sure how you spell it, but there is a lighthouse on the beach, as anyone been there ?

Not the pit, the lighthouse

I used to work at the Point Of Ayr Colliery in the 1980s, North Wales at Tellacker, I am not sure how you spell it, but there is a lighthouse on the beach, as anyone been there ?
Yes, it's still there and some nice beach walking along there too. It's not spectacular but worth a visit if passing nearby.

A few more, this time from Lincolnshire and Norfolk.

Guarding the entrance to the river Nene are a pair of these, one on each side:

22198974526_0d4e23b6ce_z.jpg

Meanwhile, the Old Hunstanton lighthouse (accompanied here by the old coastguard lookout) seems to be missing something important:
22312727755_84e23ee339_z.jpg

On a trip in Normandie , France
Phare d'Ailly near Dieppe
image.jpeg

image.jpeg
And thisone , Cap d'Antifer, France
image.jpeg
Spent the night there all alone , suberp view over the sea and just the swiveling light above....
image.jpeg

Last edited:
Do these count....?

La pointe de Cabourg, Normandie-France

image.jpeg
Watch the cormorant just taking off as i got to close....
An other still sitting on the lower platform.
There were many of them cormorants.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Last edited:
image.jpeg
At Goury ,Normandie- France
Lighthouse called : Groz du Raz
Close to Cap de la Hague , not that far away from the UK:)

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

South Foreland Lighthouse. NT property, opens to the public next weekend, not last weekend...

25817830365_54450a3459_z.jpg

Something different: The "Ijzeren Kaap" near Oosterend on Texel.
It's a " fireless beacon" , used for navigation during daytime. It formed a beacon line with the church tower of Oosterend.
rsz_1p1000851.jpg

Last edited:
There is something similar although made of concrete on the Brixham peninsula in Devon. I think they are called "Daymarkers" in the UK and also used for navigation.

Lots of little harbours have "day markers" it the past fishing boats could spot the safe haven of the harbour

Just returned from a week of lighthouse spotting Flanbrough Head Lighthouse is a nice Cali stop.
FHLH.jpg

Back