Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Lighting gas hob - knack?

We used to have this problem on our previous van (2008 T5) - having to keep the gas button pressed down for a while to allow it to 'take'. With the present van (2016 T6), the problem is the igniter doesn't work so well on the right-hand burner - click click click click BWOOMFF! nearly burned fingers. I think maybe water has got into this in the past, although we're careful to avoid that.
Maybe fitting the electric igniter might help @ejmoore ?
Not done it myself (yet) but there’s instructions and a video on this forum. Looks good.

C7B7C18E-8220-48DB-85F6-9D36F6E2387A.jpeg

Unfortunately it looks as if these are unavailable at present from the Amazon source. Does anyone know of another source?

I had The same problem , cleaned the terminals under the hob and it was a lot better.

Hello peeps, was surprised not to find a thread on the forum about this. What’s your knack for lighting the gas burners on the hob? I can generally light it without difficulty. Press the button down hard, ignite it, hold it for a bit then let the button go quickly - this last bit is perhaps the most important part. That’s my knack. But others in my family find that it very often goes out on releasing the button. Even if they follow my “knack guidance”…. It’s as if someone’s looking at the hob operator and choosing whether to allow the flame to stay on or not which is of course a ridiculous suggestion.

Anyone else struggle with this, and got an alternative “knack” to offer
I’ve had the same problem, with the flame keeping going out….My knack for it now is when the flame lights keep holding the button in and just release it slowly.
Works every time
I just got my cali in March this year, learning all the time lol

California Pete is spot on. I’m surprised so many haven’t cottoned on to this. It’s not the lighting, the thermo couple will be hot after say ten seconds but do release the button slowly not let go quickly as was first suggested.
It’s all part of the Cali idiosyncrasy we love so much.

These work for me:
1) Light the ring without a pot/kettle on it.
2) Keep the black button pressed until you see the ring centre react to the heat by evaporating the slight moisture present, this is visible as a change of the appearance/colour of the metal centre. Then release the button.
3) Having a pot in place when lighting seems to limit the oxygen available for burning so the “whoosh” is followed by the ring going out a lot of the time.
4) It’s possible to test the safety system by lighting the rings, and then blowing the flame out, the safety system should cut off the gas supply within a few seconds. I read about this online, and it actually worked. I kept the sliding door open, etc, just in case. I previously thought that the flame going out would result in a gas build-up to dangerous levels.