Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

When to close Gas hob cover?

G

GA01

Vehicle
T5 SE 140
I would be interested to know when fellow 'Californians' close the hob cover after extinguishing the gas. We wait for the burner to cool which means you are left with less room for working. I guess if the glass is designed to take the heat then an earlier closure is possible.....but it's one of those experiments I don't fancy.

Having read lots of posts on this excellent forum, I reckon someone knows.

Many thanks

Gary

Like you, we leave the rings to cool down until we can touch them without being burned - but it doesn't take long. A cold, well rung out damp cloth speeds up the cooling.

Strange I was thinking about this half hour ago as I closed my lid. I usually wait till burner is cool to touch, but was impatient today & shut when still hot.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Cool to be able to touch, but not leave hand in contact with for too long. Really though, after cooking and eating I just cannot be a**ed to wait too long for somewhere to put my wine :shocked

I would be interested to know when fellow 'Californians' close the hob cover after extinguishing the gas. We wait for the burner to cool which means you are left with less room for working. I guess if the glass is designed to take the heat then an earlier closure is possible.....but it's one of those experiments I don't fancy.

Having read lots of posts on this excellent forum, I reckon someone knows.

Many thanks

Gary

I close immediately after turning off hobs for the reason you described of having more room. I have thin protective silicone covers on the glass that are heat resistant and I usually put the hot pan on there too with no problem.

Ceramic hobbs have glass tops which get red hot so it's perfectly possible to make glass extremely heat resistant, and I can't imagine the residual heat from a gas burner is going to affect the cover in any way. The only scenario I can imagine that could possibly cause a problem would be if the glass were to get very hot then be cooled rapidly by dousing in water or having something placed on it from the fridge.

We leave our pots on it , so "using the space there is " , you need to open the lid again to wash-up in the sink and clean arround the burners ....or am i the onlyone cleaning things ....
Leaving pots on the burner gives more space on the allready smal table;)
By time you are done eating the burners are cold and ready to clean , then we close the lid or just leave open .
We do have a hard-plastic drain cover that only covers the coockers not the sink , useful when washing up to put cups-plates on to leak out before drying off.

Gary.
My last German built motorhome had a similar arrangement. Wait until everything is cold. Get into the habit of turning off the gas at the stop cock under the hob every time you close the lid. While being rushed to board a ferry by officials at Ramsgate I inadvertantly closed the lid with the flame still on. There was a very loud bang after about three minutes and the glass plate exploded into a thousand pieces covering the van in small glass crystals. I now habitually turn off the stop cock under the hob every time I close the lid and always turn off the gas at the bottle when I leave the site to go out for the day. Someone will ,no doubt, say I am being over cautious but I will guarantee you that someone will not have experienced an exploding glass hob cover.

Thanks everyone for your input. On balance I consider it best to allow the rings to cool somewhat. I think also that as we get used to the van we are developing 'methods' of doing things that allow everything to work smoothly as you live.