Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Lillypad awning screens

Collieboy

Collieboy

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
Hi I like the idea of the Lillypad Windblockers for the wind out awning, the idea of keeping the midges at bay appeals greatly! but I am finding the company less than helpful in getting the sizes right. I have a 2017 Ocean and am not sure whether I would need the 183cm or 191cm height. Has anyone experience of these and do you find them good or bad?

Thanks

We went for the genuine Thule blockers from the club shop as they are made for the actual awnibgvery reasonable price considering they are made by Thule.

Hi only just noticed this thread,
We bought some Lillypad Windblockers from their stand at the Harrogate, they actually had some California sized ones, because the slope of the awning is much less than standard awnings (thats what they said).
If you are still looking happy to provide more info on them.

Hi Cali4nia Thanks for reply, We saw a very old set on a camper a few weeks ago and were well impressed how well they had lasted so, have gone ahead bought a set. we were away this weekend to try out.
Got the front screen up and found it great at blocking the little breeze we had, the side poles seemed to long to fit so will try to adjust using the different screw positions next time. Did a remarkable job of keeping the rain out as well. I like the fact it has such an open aspect with lets the dogs make sure everybody is behaving! Do you find they are worthwhile

Hi only just noticed this thread,
We bought some Lillypad Windblockers from their stand at the Harrogate, they actually had some California sized ones, because the slope of the awning is much less than standard awnings (thats what they said).
If you are still looking happy to provide more info on them.

Yes please if you wouldn't mind...

Hi Collieboy, GillianC
Ours haven't seen such a lot of use as yet, as we realised for some of our trips we wanted to be able to have a drive-away awning to leave the bikes in so we also got a cheap Quechua shelter with 3 doors.

Did you get the tie-downs for the awning? We did and were glad we did as on a trip to Northumberland the wind got under the awning of a Cali parked nearby and severely damaged the awning.

The concept of the side panels on a sprung pole is great for quickly removing them to drive off for the day.

The side poles we got from Lillypad were a universal design that had a spring inside them to keep them pushed against the awning. They have a rubber ferrule (walking stick foot) on the ends to stop them sliding and damaging the van.
There was also a length of hosepipe inside one of each pair the tubes, and we had to cut that to length to adjust the fit. Personally thought it was a bit crude and cheap, and easy to loose some of the parts.

I found that when fitted the one at the rear of the van could sit on against the pivot for the awning and the ridges and bolts in that fitting kept that end solid, for the other ends of the rails some little plastic cups were supplied but the sticky pads for installing them didn't stick so the front rail kept moving and could fall. Just haven't had time or opportunity to try a better adhesive to put them back.

On our side panels the top is a series of elastic loops which were a PITA to thread and unthread each time, so we tried to leave them on the poles.
It is just possible to get both side panels wrapped around their own poles into the pole bag supplied, and then store the front panel folded up inside one of the chairs in the tailgate.

We found the supplied toggles for holding the sides were too long, but simply shortened the bungy cord on each one to suit.

Hope this helps

Hi Dreamer
Had another go with the screen. The side poles they supply seem to be improved on yours. They have an internal tensioning spring which I needed to adjust the screw positions assign the instructions and found they held firmly and securely. We have been amazed how much they cut out the wind .....which speeds up the cooking process ( We tend to cook outside).
The toggles seem far too long and the screens slightly too long until OH noticed you can fit the toggles further up the seam allowing you to tension it as required. I like the openess of these and even if it rains they are easy and quick to dry off.
Although not the same quality as the Thule or Comfortz for the price i would happily recommend them.

Back