Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Load rating - again; but still confused

m10chkcalifornia

m10chkcalifornia

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 150
I have read lots of useful discussion on here but I am still struggling with the range of load ratings that seem to be 'approved' for my Cali. Its a 2022 6.1 and has factory fitted 215/60/17 - 109/107 load rated - tyres fitted. Door sticker gives 235/55/17 with 103 load rating as an option. Thats a big difference in maximum load rating (100kg per tyre). Is what is fitted over-the-top? Or is the the option at risk of operating on the limit? It seems hard to understand how both can be correct.

My gut instinct is (this is a heavy vehicle) to stick to the higher load rated tyres, but having read up on the topic it seems that there may be a benefit in terms of ride quality in going with the wider, lower rated option.

I have read lots of useful discussion on here but I am still struggling with the range of load ratings that seem to be 'approved' for my Cali. Its a 2022 6.1 and has factory fitted 215/60/17 - 109/107 load rated - tyres fitted. Door sticker gives 235/55/17 with 103 load rating as an option. Thats a big difference in maximum load rating (100kg per tyre). Is what is fitted over-the-top? Or is the the option at risk of operating on the limit? It seems hard to understand how both can be correct.

My gut instinct is (this is a heavy vehicle) to stick to the higher load rated tyres, but having read up on the topic it seems that there may be a benefit in terms of ride quality in going with the wider, lower rated option.
You can use any Load Rating, ABOVE the minimum recommended for the vehicle.
For the California minimum Load Rating is 103 and minimum Speed Rating is H.

Higher Load Rating, stiffer sidewalls, normally higher pressure = harsher ride.
I use 235/55/17 103 H + 44psi all round on a 4 Motion.

You can use any Load Rating, ABOVE the minimum recommended for the vehicle.
For the California minimum Load Rating is 103 and minimum Speed Rating is H.

Higher Load Rating, stiffer sidewalls, normally higher pressure = harsher ride.
I use 235/55/17 103 H + 44psi all round on a 4 Motion.
Thanks - I guess I am just overthinking! (a common problem). I just don't want to be trading off a safety margin (higher load capability) against comfort. But I should just accept VW know what they are doing and if they say 103 then 103 is enough. The standard tyres just seem a bit overkill!

Thanks - I guess I am just overthinking! (a common problem). I just don't want to be trading off a safety margin (higher load capability) against comfort. But I should just accept VW know what they are doing and if they say 103 then 103 is enough. The standard tyres just seem a bit overkill!
You'll find that the same size tyres can have different prices for different load or speed ratings depending on stock levels. VW will supply the cheapest tyre as long as it meets minimum load and speed ratings.

103 is absolutely fine - its the load rating on most of the factory fit tyres, yours being skinny & with a higher load rating probably give a rock hard ride?

103 is absolutely fine - its the load rating on most of the factory fit tyres, yours being skinny & with a higher load rating probably give a rock hard ride?
Its all a bit murky. Reading across various threads, the ones I have may even be the more common factory fitment - at least recently. But who knows. They are actually expensive tyres to replace (not that I need to for some time) and more expensive than most 235/55. (103) alternatives. Ride quality? Well they have stiffened sidewalls I suppose and run at a higher pressure but then they also have a taller sidewall so who knows. Most reviews I have seen suggest the 235/55 will be a bit softer but the consensus seems to be there is not much in it.

My thinking on this was driven by the fact that the Cali is turning into being our daily vehicle of choice and if that continues to be the case we will run it over winter. In which case I would seriously consider swapping out the tyres to something like Michelin Cross Climates that can be had in the right size and load rating (235/55/17 103H) and are actually pretty good value it seems. I just didn't want to be compromising on safety in any way, but it seems I wont be.