Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Load - through hatch

If you pull it from the top it’s on a kind of semi hinge. Needs a strong pull. If in doubt tap it from the back with something long and it will come away on its own. That’s how I found out how to do it accidentally!!
Have tried the 'strong pull' above, absolutely no joy, plastic gives but will not move. It seems stuck or designed to break rather than open...Is it just me, or has anyone else had difficulties with this?

Have tried the 'strong pull' above, absolutely no joy, plastic gives but will not move. It seems stuck or designed to break rather than open...Is it just me, or has anyone else had difficulties with this?
Silicone spray!

I have not been able to open it either, but didn’t want to pull too hard and too be honest I haven’t had anything that I have need to feed through so far. Will have a proper go sometime.

Silicone spray!
Thanks AA.....How do I get the spray in if it will not open and cannot see where to spray it? Aha! mirror on a stick! I have one somewhere! Probably behind the load through hatch.

Yes, ease it out from the top then it will rock down to the fully
opened position, then it should just pull off from the round fixings.
Having seen the pic posted by our friend Westfalia above, I understand how it is supposed to move, and just tried again, I can ease / flex the top a little, but mine is stuck fast and will not budge off the rounded raised parts that hold it firm. I think I shall have to sneak up on it from the rear and push it out. One day. Thanks everyone. Db.

Funny that this thread should be resurrected today, because I have spent my day making this:

P5060100.JPGP5060101.JPG

I got the idea after seeing inside the rear of Taiwanese Chili's van in one of his U tube videos. I think that it makes better use of the space and protects the table from damage when it is in the closed position.
I'm not looking for comments on the woodwork, it has just been knocked up from odd bits that were lying around in the shed. If I have anything long to carry, it just slides out.

Having seen the pic posted by our friend Westfalia above, I understand how it is supposed to move, and just tried again, I can ease / flex the top a little, but mine is stuck fast and will not budge off the rounded raised parts that hold it firm. I think I shall have to sneak up on it from the rear and push it out. One day. Thanks everyone. Db.
You have the extra drawer? Then you can only pull the black lever and it slides out like the big drawer under the seat?

Funny that this thread should be resurrected today, because I have spent my day making this:

View attachment 58945View attachment 58946

I got the idea after seeing inside the rear of Taiwanese Chili's van in one of his U tube videos. I think that it makes better use of the space and protects the table from damage when it is in the closed position.
I'm not looking for comments on the woodwork, it has just been knocked up from odd bits that were lying around in the shed. If I have anything long to carry, it just slides out.
That wood looks a bit heavy.

You have probably already seen this but just in case...
With the drawer open there is a little cut out to pull from.IMG_20200506_184757.jpg

You have probably already seen this but just in case...
With the drawer open there is a little cut out to pull from.View attachment 58950
Yes, thanks, found that and pulled simultaneously from both sides still won't budge, it appears to be stuck tightly on the circular raised dimples /detents shown in Westphalia's pics above.

View attachment 58945View attachment 58946

You are just teasing me, aren't you?

We need a new section on the forum, with possibility to upload small videos (max 5 minutes or so).
New section called: tutorial.
Then we can all post films or pictures for how to "xxxxx".

You have the extra drawer? Then you can only pull the black lever and it slides out like the big drawer under the seat?
I don't have the extra drawer, merely the Load Through Hatch, or in my case the "Can't Load Through Because it Will not Open Hatch".

I don't have the extra drawer, merely the Load Through Hatch, or in my case the "Can't Load Through Because it Will not Open Hatch".
Give me a day, and I might film how I do it in my van. (opening the hatch of course)

The owner's manual describes how it should be done. I tried and succeeded, then I couldn't put the bloody thing back.

The owner's manual describes how it should be done. I tried and succeeded, then I couldn't put the bloody thing back.
Well as you can see, I struggled too, but I couldn't look and film to get the thing back in place.
After all those years I quite know how to get it back now.

How to:
Open hatch for load-through.
Thank you Triplebee.....I understand that that is how it is supposed to work....But mine just will not move.
Just a thought...Is it possible once it is out, to adjust the retaining buttons to loosen them up a little?

Can you try to push from behind with a broomstick or something?
Or have a look from behind, with a mirror or something to have a look if it is even possible to open the thing? (I wouldn't know why not, but you never know)
It can stick sometimes, so a short pull always works for me (as you can tell from the film).

Thanks to all contributors!
Success!
I finally managed to ease the top outwards as per instructions, and then after some GT 85 silicone spray, got the bugger out. The uppermost forward retaining mushroom (for need of a better description) of the three is a screw fit and was extremely tight. It is a bolt with a mainly circular head with 2 flats, check for yourselves! I got Mole grips and gently unscrewed it a turn or two. The cover now fits on snugly and removes easily but not easily enough to rattle.
Thanks once more, Db.
"We may allow ourselves a brief period of rejoicing".