Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Loading a Kayak!

S

Silverfox

VIP Member
Hi
I've just sold my Freelander which I used to transport my Kayaks, I have a Keri-Tek roof system at present, I intend selling this now as I will only need to use one kayak, (although this is a fab bit of kit, so easy mounting three kayaks)I want to be able to just have the bars on - could anyone confirm the easiest method of loading the kayak onto the bars without damaging the bodywork, I'm 5'10" so no giant, do have a VW bike rack on and no spoiler.

Cheers

Kevin

Lift it up with two people, flip it upside down, put the nose on the back set of bars and walk it on. From the side is pain.

I can just about do the 2 person sea kayak alone as long as it's not windy. The 16ft Canadian is deffo two people!

Seb

kevinhaley1952 said:
Hi
I've just sold my Freelander which I used to transport my Kayaks, I have a Keri-Tek roof system at present, I intend selling this now as I will only need to use one kayak, (although this is a fab bit of kit, so easy mounting three kayaks)I want to be able to just have the bars on - could anyone confirm the easiest method of loading the kayak onto the bars without damaging the bodywork, I'm 5'10" so no giant, do have a VW bike rack on and no spoiler.

Any reason your not planning on keeping the Karitek system, I was thinking about getting one for the new Cali, as I have a Sea Kayak and loading it on the roof of the Rav4 on your own is always a challenge so I could not even thinking about loading it on the van without doing myself some serious damage?

Thanks Seb and MKRW

Two people aren't an option unfortunately, I live off the beaten track, so it's down to me only, looks like a session on the weights to get the upper body built up!

I bought the Keritek system last year because I had my son and daughter-in-law living with me, three kayaks was just too much lifting, they have now moved away and it's highly unlikely that they will be using kayaks again(or very seldom) - when using the keritek it's absolutely fabulous and easy to use, like everything else a bit pricey, but it's build is solid, the cradles are excellent, at £82.00 per pair plus p&p they should be!, talking myself into keeping it now!

Thanks for your replies, much appreciated, looks like a small pair of steps and bigger biceps required or just stick to cycling.

Cheers

Kevin

I use one of these

http://www.homebase.co.uk/webapp/wc...ay?langId=110&storeId=10151&partNumber=758569
758569HBO111111X.jpg

Handy as an extra table, chair etc...

I use the same as Jamie, these were on offer at B&Q a few weeks ago for £29.99. They are light in weight but heavy duty and fold down nicely, also make a handy table when not in use!

When I load my Kayak on to the roof my own I load it from the back and slide it along, with a bit of practice it is done in seconds, I have a 32kg- 2 person Kayak.

Thanks everyone for your replies, I have one of the steps mentioned and just used a blanket on top of the van and tried loading from behind, no problem, now just need to buy the bars,

Kevin

Back