Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Locking issue T6 Ocean

P

Prycey13

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
Right… I’ve unlocked the doors using the remote T6 ocean. Sat down outside and then heard the doors lock again without pressing the remote. Tried this a couple more times and it’s done it again and again. Is this normal? Worried that if I accidentally left the keys inside it’ll lock?

never noticed this before and I once left it unlocked on the drive - which if it did it all the time it would lock itself? Weird.

Right… I’ve unlocked the doors using the remote T6 ocean. Sat down outside and then heard the doors lock again without pressing the remote. Tried this a couple more times and it’s done it again and again. Is this normal? Worried that if I accidentally left the keys inside it’ll lock?

never noticed this before and I once left it unlocked on the drive - which if it did it all the time it would lock itself? Weird.
Hello there, and yes that is normal, it is a VW security feature which is supposedly designed to stop you inadvertently leaving your vehicle unlocked if you do not open one of the doors after a certain time after unlocking. Many cars do this nowadays actually. Pretty certain you can turn this feature off within the vehicle set up and diagnostics OBD by using the likes of a Carista app and OBD dongle, I will check mine later to see if it is off and confirm back. Nick.

Last edited:
Hello there, and yes that is normal, it is a VW security feature which is supposedly designed to stop you inadvertently leaving your vehicle unlocked if you do not open one of the doors after a certain time after unlocking. Many cars do this nowadays actually. Pretty certain you can turn this feature off within the vehicle set up and diagnostics OBD by using the likes of a Carista app and OBD dongle, I will check mine later to see if it is off and confirm back. Nick.
Thanks much appreciated. I thought it might be that but have never noticed it before. Will keep keys on me just in case.

You shouldn’t be able to lock keys in the van with this feature as it only re-locks if you don’t open a door within 15 seconds.

It is most certainly possible for the van to lock the keys inside, with you outside on a freezing cold winter night, wearing only shorts and a T Shirt. I now own a surf key necklace.

I've also locked my keys in the van. Through the tailgate. Maybe it doesn't recognise if you only open the tailgate then shut it? I now have a method of getting in the van in an emergency that obviously only I know about

Opening the Drivers Door disables the automatic Self Locking.

A sad little tale.
A year or so back I was adamant that it was not possible to lock yourself out of your van. I have changed my mind!!
Last week we were staying the the CCC site at Sandringham, Norfolk. It was raining and we were playing with a new Shelta-pod awning. Realising the passenger window was open I grabbed the keys and held down the lock button until the window was shut. Put the keys in the ignition and thought no more about it and finished putting up the new awning. My wife was in need of a call to nature and left me with the van. It started raining again. At this point I was fixing the final pegs and the sliding door was open. I pushed it closed. Nooooo....The sound of all doors locking. Yep, can see the ignition keys in the ignition but all the doors are locked.
We have a spare key, yes, but it was in a rucksack in the van!
My wife, now having returned, quizzed me about how this calamity had happened. I was feeling very sheepish (But angry with myself). Are we a member of the AA or RAC she asks. Yes, we are still members of VW Assist. I'll ring them......(Oh no you wont our mobile phones are in the locked van).
Need to think about this so we thought we would get some food (Fish and chips from a mobile seller). Oooo, wait a minute, have you got any cash we ask each other. Err no, its in the locked van together with our credit/debit cards.....
Eventually we used the site wardens mobile to call VW Assist who promptly despatched an AA roadside assistance truck and mechanic to sort us out. The method of getting in to the van to restore our life was a tad brutal (I wont go into detail here for obvious reasons) suffice to say that just as it was going dark the AA mechanic managed to spring the drivers door that got our lives back. A glass of wine never tasted so good - I really did not fancy sleeping on the wet hard ground in the new awning in only the clothes I stood up in. Lesson learnt!

Coincidentally just read today of a driver who used the Tailgate only unlock to get something out of the back and, yes, he put the keys down whilst rummaging then shut the tailgate with the keys now automatically locked inside.

A sad little tale.
A year or so back I was adamant that it was not possible to lock yourself out of your van. I have changed my mind!!
Last week we were staying the the CCC site at Sandringham, Norfolk. It was raining and we were playing with a new Shelta-pod awning. Realising the passenger window was open I grabbed the keys and held down the lock button until the window was shut. Put the keys in the ignition and thought no more about it and finished putting up the new awning. My wife was in need of a call to nature and left me with the van. It started raining again. At this point I was fixing the final pegs and the sliding door was open. I pushed it closed. Nooooo....The sound of all doors locking. Yep, can see the ignition keys in the ignition but all the doors are locked.
We have a spare key, yes, but it was in a rucksack in the van!
My wife, now having returned, quizzed me about how this calamity had happened. I was feeling very sheepish (But angry with myself). Are we a member of the AA or RAC she asks. Yes, we are still members of VW Assist. I'll ring them......(Oh no you wont our mobile phones are in the locked van).
Need to think about this so we thought we would get some food (Fish and chips from a mobile seller). Oooo, wait a minute, have you got any cash we ask each other. Err no, its in the locked van together with our credit/debit cards.....
Eventually we used the site wardens mobile to call VW Assist who promptly despatched an AA roadside assistance truck and mechanic to sort us out. The method of getting in to the van to restore our life was a tad brutal (I wont go into detail here for obvious reasons) suffice to say that just as it was going dark the AA mechanic managed to spring the drivers door that got our lives back. A glass of wine never tasted so good - I really did not fancy sleeping on the wet hard ground in the new awning in only the clothes I stood up in. Lesson learnt!

You've summed it up so well. You had the full Titanic experience, though. For us it wasn't raining and my wife had her phone, which had been charging in the tent. She also had her glasses, which helped!

Have also done the keys in the boot thing as well. That was one Christmas, whilst doing some shopping. I had to get a taxi home to get the spare keys and drive back in the other car to pick up my wife from work and rescue the locked motor!! So I have 'previous '!

Back