Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Long term hook up

My vehicle behaves as described (my22).

In simple terms the 3 batteries are all connected together and charged together.

@andyinluton probably has observed the same behaviour on his earlier 6.1 and a more recent one.

My vehicle behaves as described (my22).

In simple terms the 3 batteries are all connected together and charged together.

@andyinluton probably has observed the same behaviour on his earlier 6.1 and a more recent one.
Thank you @yossarian . I guess the point of your post 63, if I had better understood the technical language, was to explain that the T6.1, as supplied, draws electricity separately by purpose from (i) the two leisure and (ii) the one starter batteries; BUT when it comes to EHU charging there is no effective separation between the three.

Last edited:
Interesting. As I said, have never switched the RCD off in 9 yrs, BUT I have never plugged in a live cable, always van first and then campsite supply.
This is exactly what I have done, for 12 years with our current T5 (no pun intended) and also with our T4 for 10 years before. Never switched off the circuit breaker in the van but always connect to the van first then to the electricity.. We go away for long periods, up to 2 months but we have done 5 and left the van plugged in. Never thought of using a timer and can’t see why. Van has always been fine including the ‘driving‘ battery.

This is exactly what I have done, for 12 years with our current T5 (no pun intended) and also with our T4 for 10 years before. Never switched off the circuit breaker in the van but always connect to the van first then to the electricity.. We go away for long periods, up to 2 months but we have done 5 and left the van plugged in. Never thought of using a timer and can’t see why. Van has always been fine including the ‘driving‘ battery.
Forgot to add that after 11 years (not 12 as I stupidly said above,), I have the same leisure batteries and had to replace the under bonnet battery after 10 years. I’m happy with that.

Back