Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Long term hook up

Do consider that the onboard systems were never designed to run constantly, I suspect the cali system is better quality than typical caravans or motorhomes but as far as I can make out are not smart, but I’m no expert in that area. I work within the leisure sector and we have seen many batteries being overcharged by poor systems and too much care so my advice would be to use solar and charge controller or similar if possible to just keep everything topped up, it’s advantage is every 12hrs the system is rested during the night. The panel could be placed outside your garage. Or use a smart charger rather than than onboard systems which are designed for on pitch use which they do well.

Its the starter battery I would be be more concerned about as alarm, immobiliser will depleting it constantly and once the battery level drops even a relatively small amount it may struggle to start.

I use a separate smart charger mainly, or I have a simple 40w solar panel and that’s enough To keep everything topped up.
It is a smart charger, it starts off at 14.4ish volts until current tapers, then changes it's charging voltage to about 13.2ish which is a relatively low float voltage and should be generally safe for long term float charging.

What would happen if you didn't plug it in to anything while you left it for two months? We have never plugged our van in at home - indeed, are not able to do so - and rarely have a hook-up on site. The van may go for a couple of weeks without being driven (though seldom more). What's the problem? No problem for us in eleven years / two vans.

Just to add, we have had our cali for 2 years (from new). We've never hooked up or had flat/ low batteries. It's been parked up for 5 weeks on 2 occasions and both times just jumped in started up and driven off. Just maybe we're making things a little over complicated.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

What would happen if you didn't plug it in to anything while you left it for two months? We have never plugged our van in at home - indeed, are not able to do so - and rarely have a hook-up on site. The van may go for a couple of weeks without being driven (though seldom more). What's the problem? No problem for us in eleven years / two vans.
Depends on the condition of the batteries. If newish then probably nothing will happen. Older ones might drain quicker with the risk of damage. There is a draw in the system (my control panel indicates -1A) even when not being used. I keep the system topped up using an Ecoflow Delta 2 as cheap insurance.

Depends on the condition of the batteries. If newish then probably nothing will happen. Older ones might drain quicker with the risk of damage. There is a draw in the system (my control panel indicates -1A) even when not being used. I keep the system topped up using an Ecoflow Delta 2 as cheap insurance.
The Control Panel -1A is whilst the screen is on. It drops to 0 A when the screen shuts down.

The Control Panel -1A is whilst the screen is on. It drops to 0 A when the screen shuts down.
But there is a current draw as indicated by the decreasing blue bars over time. Probably 1-2 bars per month in my case. Nothing is plugged into the sockets.

I would say the challenge is that as these vans have become more complex electrically with a more regular parasitic draw on the batteries, mainly the starter for alarm, immobiliser, OTA downloads etc there is a chance that you would come back and find it won't start. Would it happen all the time and to everyone? Maybe not, but advice, certainly for the 6.1, seems quite prudent that if not using for more than a month you should plug in for one day via EHU as a rule of thumb.

Just to add, we have had our cali for 2 years (from new). We've never hooked up or had flat/ low batteries. It's been parked up for 5 weeks on 2 occasions and both times just jumped in started up and driven off. Just maybe we're making things a little over complicated.

There are quite a few things that people get anxious about doing/not doing, which we've never even thought about, so they can't be that much of a problem.

Interesting. As I said, have never switched the RCD off in 9 yrs, BUT I have never plugged in a live cable, always van first and then campsite supply.
I was told by the VW dealer on handover to switch the RCD on to show ‘red’ when on hookup and leave on ! (light appears on control panel) and then switch back off to ‘green’ when disconnecting hookup and when vehicle in general use? Any issues when leaving RCD on all the time on hookup? Thanks

Best practice and as stated in the Handbook is to plug into EHU monthly for at least 12hrs to maximise battery capacity and longevity of lead acid/AGM batteries.

But there is a current draw as indicated by the decreasing blue bars over time. Probably 1-2 bars per month in my case. Nothing is plugged into the sockets.
AGM batteries will lose charge over time even if disconnected and don't forget they will normally only charge to 80% capacity if dependent on alternator charging only unless you use the fast charge button found on the T6.1.

I was told by the VW dealer on handover to switch the RCD on to show ‘red’ when on hookup and leave on ! (light appears on control panel) and then switch back off to ‘green’ when disconnecting hookup and when vehicle in general use? Any issues when leaving RCD on all the time on hookup? Thanks
Non whatsoever. Haven't switched mine off in 9 yrs, and I don't think the T6.1 is any different.

"Discharge occurs at variable rates based on chemistry, brand, storage environment, temperature. Self-discharge denotes the rate at which the battery self-depletes in idle storage. All batteries self-discharge over time even when idle."

Non whatsoever. Haven't switched mine off in 9 yrs, and I don't think the T6.1 is any different.
Same. While trawling the manual today though it does say that you should switch the breaker on and off when hooking up. I think it was discussed previous this was likely down to arcing but like WG I hookup first and then switch on the EHU post, so the result is the same.

The RCD protects you and the van when connected to an external 240v mains supply.
When the RCD is On, red, it is active and the kitchen mains socket is live and the built in 12v battery charger is On charging the Leisure Batteries. When the RCD is Off, green, all 240v mains power to the vehicle is cut off. The kitchen socket is dead and battery charger Off.

Hello and thanks for the interesting advice and experience found here.
My question is, on hook up with my 6.1 in my garage am i correct in thinking that this is only keeping the leisure topped up and not the car battery? Hence the need for another trickle charger for the car battery. Thanks in advance

I’m in the same position, and occasionally don’t drive for 6 weeks. I know that is not ideal, but I do check the battery charge occasionally and doesn’t deplete quickly at all. Last check was >60hrs after not driving for 3 weeks.
It’s crossed my mind to drive it for the sake of the batteries, but that doesn’t sit well with me, and I’ve thought about an eco flow or similar but can’t bring myself to pay £1000 when there isn’t (yet) an issue. But will brace for £500 to replace the batteries in due course, perhaps quicker than if I’d plugged in monthly.

My question is, on hook up with my 6.1 in my garage am i correct in thinking that this is only keeping the leisure topped up and not the car battery? Hence the need for another trickle charger for the car battery. Thanks in advance
I understand once the leisures are topped up, the starter will be.

I could be mistaken but I think I read that on the T6.1 the built in charger also trickle charged the engine battery. You could check with a Multimeter and measure the engine battery voltage before and after plugging into EHU, but wait until Leisure Batteries are fully charged before the 2nd measurement.

Best practice and as stated in the Handbook is to plug into EHU monthly for at least 12hrs to maximise battery capacity and longevity of lead acid/AGM batteries.
That isn't what the handbook for a T6.1 states.

You've missed off the preceding words "If the additional batteries is not charged by the alternator while the engine is running,"

Ie if you use the van don't bother plugging in to the mains to charge it.

If you have a beach tour you don't even have the option of plugging in.

Thanks for that. I have to leave my 6.1 for a 3 mth period. its on hook up but will i need to have another charger looking after the car battery?

You've missed off the preceding words "If the additional batteries is not charged by the alternator while the engine is running,"

Ie if you use the van don't bother plugging in to the mains to charge it.

If you have a beach tour you don't even have the option of plugging in.
is this right @andyinluton ?

Unless you use ‘max change’ the batteries are typically no more than 80% charged, as I understand it. Others here have advised that, unlike lithium batteries which have best longevity
at 80% charge, lead batteries have optimum longevity kept fully charged, ie 100% or close to that. On that basis I tend to leave my Ocean on EHU (I am lucky to have an adjacent socket) almost always when it is parked up. Have I missed something?

I did post something similar a few months back and the general consensus at that time seemed to be agreement.

Last edited:
Is this right,

is this right @andyinluton ?

Unless you use ‘max change’ the batteries are typically no more than 80% charged, as I understand it. Others here have advised that, unlike lithium batteries which have best longevity
at 80% charge, lead batteries have optimum longevity kept fully charged, ie 100% or close to that. On that basis I tend to leave my Ocean on EHU (I am lucky to have an adjacent socket) almost always when it is parked up. Have I missed something?

I did post something similar a few months back and the general consensus at that time seemed to be agreement.
You could try reading the manual for yourself!

There are a lot of comments re the charging regime from people that have never owned a T6.1, let alone read the manual.

The alternator charging regime is the same as any other car/ van with stop start, how often do you put your car on charge just to get it up to 100% full?

If I was leaving mine parked for a long spell I would be using the max charge button on the last drive before parking up, other than that as long as it has a decent drive every couple of weeks there's no need to do anything.

The important thing is not to put it away with the batteries depleted.

Back