Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Long wheelbase Cali

Paul1

Paul1

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 150
I love my Cali, but everything about it is a compromise. If I could have the option I would choose the long wheelbase version. What a difference it would make when sleeping downstairs with just that little bit of extra space etc. I know I could have a conversion but for me they don't come close to the Cali. How many would choose a LWB over a SWB ???? Paul. :crazy :D

The extra floor space would be good however, I can't see VW introducing the Cali in a LWB format as there would need to be a complete new design of the furniture unit. Search 'drilling a hole in the cabinet' you will see a member has made shorter rear shelf which allows the rear seat to be set much further back and when the bed is down there is at least 6 inches more floor space. The downside is the bed is only 5' 10" in length. We don't sleep downstairs so this is something we will be doing so we can set the rear seat at it's furthest pint to give us more floor space downstairs.
Thanks

I have to be honest - LWB or SWB - I can't see there been a next gen T6 Cali SE, not in the way we see now.

James

James said:
I have to be honest - LWB or SWB - I can't see there been a next gen T6 Cali SE, not in the way we see now.

James

Why is that James??

redredzimmer said:
James said:

James

Why is that James??

Only a hunch but a number of reasons.

I guess firstly, we will need to define what the next T6 is going to be, yes it will be a van, but the days of vans being simple van are certainly gone. It seems unlikely that VW will build a full camper based on the T6, if they do launch a retro style microbus particularly to capture the US Market, perhaps they will base a camper on this.

Secondly, the idea of a fixed camper, whilst it has a board appeal, these days people want flexibility and that's possible with module furniture, it gives you different options. I just think the idea of fixing a kitchen and wardrobe unit to the side of a camper is probably a bit done and dusted, it's not without merit and use but I just don't see it as a requirement in a modern camper.

Thirdly, VW have been flirting and tinkering with the Beach concept and ideas, the latests concept VW Multivan had module units (so I understand).

Fourthly, The full Cali seems a royal pain in the a**e for VW. No one can pretend the quality is up there with other 50k+ cars but, the reputation for fragility is common and damaging. I think the SE is fragile and daily use just sees a whole host of things possibly going wrong and when it does go wrong it is expensive. How can VW control the quality of so many external parts? The SE doesn't make them a great deal of profit.

So, this is my guess, an extension and expansion of the Beach concept even if it is not called a Beach and maybe a microbus camper, buying into that retro appeal that car makers now so love (let's thanks the relaunched Mini for this).

I love the SE, it's a desirable beautiful vehicle but if someone said to me, what is your ideal camper, well that would be something that gives me the daily usability of my Beach with the awesome camping ability of the SE. The only I can see this happening is with a more flexible and usable interior and I think modules in some guise or design will answer this.

James

That would be surprising dropping a model that sells in volumes after only being on production for just over ten years. :crazy

Well hopefully I am wrong, I'd love to see a T6 Cali Se.

i am just not convinced it will happen.

James

I'd have gone for a lwb.

I doubt vw will make one as I think vw's motivation for the Cali is about short term brand reinforcement. The current Cali offers this, I can't believe that building a lwb Cali would yield an additional return for vw.

And the forums would be alive with issues about leaking toilets, useless showers etc as they would just put cheap crap in the back of it that was not properly tested.

Back