Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Longer Westfalia detacable towbar???

N

Nejc

VIP Member
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150 4Motion
We have Cali Ocean T6 which has factory fitted Westfalia towbar. The problem is that when using the Thule bike carrier I cannot open the tailgate, even if I remove the safety catch on the carrier and lower it so that it stops on the handlebar of the bike. I think if there was a longer towbar by 2-3 cm it would all work together. Does anyone have experience of anything similar.

We have Cali Ocean T6 which has factory fitted Westfalia towbar. The problem is that when using the Thule bike carrier I cannot open the tailgate, even if I remove the safety catch on the carrier and lower it so that it stops on the handlebar of the bike. I think if there was a longer towbar by 2-3 cm it would all work together. Does anyone have experience of anything similar.
Oddly the British Westfalia (Witter) version has the ball head further back than the German Westfalia one. Different designs.

Years ago I contacted Westfalia if an alternative detachable part could be used or recommended to solve the tailgate clearance issue. response was that VW provide very specific measurements as to towbar mounting points and distance away from those that the ball must be positioned. For that reason they couldn't answer my question.

I acquired a second hand Audi one that raised the ball head position but was the same rearward position. Good for lowered suspension. I also have a Golf one which is virtually identical to the Transporter based one, saves me fishing out the one in the box.

You may 'luck' upon one to suit from another vehicle as the plug in end is the same, there are two versions early and late so check carefully what yours is..

A breakers yard may be a source.

Oddly the British Westfalia (Witter) version has the ball head further back than the German Westfalia one. Different designs.

Years ago I contacted Westfalia if an alternative detachable part could be used or recommended to solve the tailgate clearance issue. response was that VW provide very specific measurements as to towbar mounting points and distance away from those that the ball must be positioned. For that reason they couldn't answer my question.

I acquired a second hand Audi one that raised the ball head position but was the same rearward position. Good for lowered suspension. I also have a Golf one which is virtually identical to the Transporter based one, saves me fishing out the one in the box.

You may 'luck' upon one to suit from another vehicle as the plug in end is the same, there are two versions early and late so check carefully what yours is..

A breakers yard may be a source.
Thank you for this information. Our second car is a Skoda Yeti , which also has a Wesfalia towbar and is longer, but the part that inserts is slightly different and unfortunately I cannot use it.

We have a removable towbar on our T6 and our Thule rack tilts enough (max setting). However it does depend what rack you have - the collapsible ones sadly dont tilt enough, whereas the Velospace XT3 does.

This video from Campervan Time / California Time might help. About 8 mins in is the bit of possible interest

We have Cali Ocean T6 which has factory fitted Westfalia towbar. The problem is that when using the Thule bike carrier I cannot open the tailgate, even if I remove the safety catch on the carrier and lower it so that it stops on the handlebar of the bike. I think if there was a longer towbar by 2-3 cm it would all work together.
There is a slightly longer bar out there, from memory it's the one for a Ford Focus that fits. I'll try and find out where I got the details from as I bought one for my first van.

Back