Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Looking to purchase.

Outanbout

Outanbout

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 199
Hi to you all.

Some background: We are both recently retired and relatively fit oldies, living in the southeast.
In our youth, we would go on camping holidays around the UK, mainly Cornwall. The enjoyment was simply packing up the car, driving off, finding a site, pitching the tent and starting the holiday. The beauty of camping (certainly in those days) was the freedom to move sites as and when you felt the need.
So now without the restriction of work, we are looking at enjoying those times once again. The freedom to just decide “the weather looks good dear, let’s pack up and go touring”.
Rather than tenting this time, we have decided to get a camper van (likely a second hand one) to make it easier to do the “get up and go”, but what to choose is very confusing, eg, engine size, drive system, age, mileage, model (T?), price, etc. A difficult process all of you have no doubt been through.
The timescale for us is to get a van for a 2018 spring getaway, giving time to make those confusing choices.
That’s the introduction over, and I’ll certainly be back asking all the usual newbie questions and looking forward to all your replies.

ChrisL

Hi Chris - i have just read your tea leaves - you will do all the research, ask all the questions and get excited. You will then find a nearly new / registered / demo midnight blue California Ocean, you will fall in love with it, you will convince yourself it will actually save you money, you will do a deal with the dealer, and you will drive off into the sunset with a big smile.

If you want the best value, consider buying this winter rather than Spring, as you’ll save a couple of £K on a used van.

Hi to you all.

Some background: We are both recently retired and relatively fit oldies, living in the southeast.
In our youth, we would go on camping holidays around the UK, mainly Cornwall. The enjoyment was simply packing up the car, driving off, finding a site, pitching the tent and starting the holiday. The beauty of camping (certainly in those days) was the freedom to move sites as and when you felt the need.
So now without the restriction of work, we are looking at enjoying those times once again. The freedom to just decide “the weather looks good dear, let’s pack up and go touring”.
Rather than tenting this time, we have decided to get a camper van (likely a second hand one) to make it easier to do the “get up and go”, but what to choose is very confusing, eg, engine size, drive system, age, mileage, model (T?), price, etc. A difficult process all of you have no doubt been through.
The timescale for us is to get a van for a 2018 spring getaway, giving time to make those confusing choices.
That’s the introduction over, and I’ll certainly be back asking all the usual newbie questions and looking forward to all your replies.

ChrisL
:welcome
Firstly - If you are considering a VW campervan then the VW California is the ONLY one made by VW and sold via VW. There are 2 versions, the Beach that has the lower and upper beds in the Pop-Up roof but NO built in kitchen/water tanks etc: and the SE or Ocean that have a built in Kitchen, cooker/fridge/wardrobe and built in water and waste tanks with the same sleeping arrangements with the added advantage of a Diesel Parking Heater making it an all year vehicle. The Beach does not come with this heater as standard but was a pay for Option. Both are Short wheel base and can basically go wherever a large estate car can go.
These vehicles by VW, come in 130/140/150 and 174/180 and 204 BHP engine sizes.
130/174 pre 2010, 140/180 2010/2015 and 150/204 post 2015. The smaller engines are adequate and cheaper to service apparently.
Besides that are the Automatic gear box, Tiptronic or DSG latterly, that are well suited for the California and 2FWD or 4Motion AWD.
About 2005 to 2010 is the T5 , 2010 to 2015 the T5.1 and post 2015 the T6.
The T5.1 is Euro 5 and T6 Euro 6.
Low milage vehicles are common but may not always be best as it indicates they have spent long periods in storage and not used. The California is based on a commercial base van and is meant to be used. Many service items are time based and/or milage and might have been skipped if very low milage.

Lastly there are some 3rd party conversions. They do not hold their value as well as a VW California, may not be so well integrated in the build and are often lower powered base vehicles with very few of the options that are standard on the California.

For 2nd hand vehicles check the vehicles for sale on this site and also the VW Commercial site.

Consider hiring for a weekend before splashing the cash.

The main difference I found when I started looking was that all conversions are based on the Transporter van whereas the California is based on the Caravelle which means you get the integrated climate control dash (although its extra on the Beach version). Having a more 'car like' driving experience certainly helps when considering the change from a regular car. Would also recommend the integrated satnav - its quite expensive new but you'll find it on most T6 oceans. It was 'free' on my Golf and works well both here and in Europe.

Some good points made.how ever don't bother with the vw sat nav as its a total waste of money. A far better bet is a tomtom stand alone which will allow you to download poi,s from lots of 3rd party motorhome, campervan sites. There are lots of nearly new vans around which will make a better purchase then from a dealer. Also you will need to take in to account the higher road tax of a new van, which was increased from 500 to 800 pounds for the first 5 or 6 years. Best thing to do is to drive a few, rent one for a time and see how you get on. Better then making a mistake. F

Some good points made.how ever don't bother with the vw sat nav as its a total waste of money. A far better bet is a tomtom stand alone which will allow you to download poi,s from lots of 3rd party motorhome, campervan sites. There are lots of nearly new vans around which will make a better purchase then from a dealer. Also you will need to take in to account the higher road tax of a new van, which was increased from 500 to 800 pounds for the first 5 or 6 years. Best thing to do is to drive a few, rent one for a time and see how you get on. Better then making a mistake. F
I don't wish to get into an argument but to say the VW SatNav is a waste of money is a little disingenuous . The T6 version, maybe, as I have no experience of that, but the RNS510 I have has served me very well and I have loaded some 32,000 POI campsites covering the whole of Europe and it hasn't let me down yet. Doesn't require a phone to be plugged in, doesn't require a Cellular signal, plays music from CD/SD or USB and also plays DVD's. The T6 version may be pants but others are very good, especially if you read the Handbook and set it up correctly.

I don't wish to get into an argument but to say the VW SatNav is a waste of money is a little disingenuous . The T6 version, maybe, as I have no experience of that, but the RNS510 I have has served me very well and I have loaded some 32,000 POI campsites covering the whole of Europe and it hasn't let me down yet. Doesn't require a phone to be plugged in, doesn't require a Cellular signal, plays music from CD/SD or USB and also plays DVD's. The T6 version may be pants but others are very good, especially if you read the Handbook and set it up correctly.

As I’ve posted elsewhere I find it fine as well. Also uploaded POI and find that a useful feature. In tandem with the right apps to locate sites and then imput the coordinates. It was faultless on a recent trip.

Mike

The T6 version may be pants but others are very good, especially if you read the Handbook and set it up correctly.
I have the T6 version and have found it perfectly satisfactory in navigating us around the European mainland. Indeed, is has taken us to the most northerly, most easterly, most westerly and the most southerly points of the European Union on the European continental mainland, and through 21 European countries, counting Gibraltar as a European country distinct from Britain.

I'm happy with it. Linked to a phone of MiFi dongle it will give accurate traffic information, without this link it will give limited traffic information from radio broadcasts.

Follow my blog: www.au-revoir.eu

Hi and welcome Chris,
Having been a tent camper back in the 80's and 90's and trying it again a couple of years ago I can tell you a California is superior for all reasons unless you want to pitch a big tent and have means of insulation. So a great choice in wanting a Cali.

But mainly I have joined the thread here to say, posts do not come any better than post number 4 by Welshgas.
This is pretty comprehensive stuff!!
I can only add that searching the forum will throw in a lot of debate, you'll identify hot topics regarding short comings and some great idea too.
All of which has it's place for your own appraisal.
Just like every other vehicle forum out there I suppose :thumb

Enjoy the debates, the the pro's and the cons and remember anything here is usually over shadowed by the enjoyment of ownership.

Last edited:
the vw sat nav is pants. the best in car sat nav is the BMW pro. fact. save your money and buy a stand alone unit.

If you want the best value, consider buying this winter rather than Spring, as you’ll save a couple of £K on a used van.

Not sure this is true. I've been watching the market for several months now with a view to buy. As far as I can tell the prices have not dropped yet, if anything I'd say they seem to have risen in line with the 3% rise on new calis at the start of November.

Not sure this is true. I've been watching the market for several months now with a view to buy. As far as I can tell the prices have not dropped yet, if anything I'd say they seem to have risen in line with the 3% rise on new calis at the start of November.
Believe me, prices have fallen. You need to have been watching it for a full year to see it. There are of course some daft priced newer vans out there but they are not shifting.
There will be bargains for a few months whilst it feels like we’ll never feel the sun again.

Believe me, prices have fallen. You need to have been watching it for a full year to see it. There are of course some daft priced newer vans out there but they are not shifting.
There will be bargains for a few months whilst it feels like we’ll never feel the sun again.

Daft priced alright. Almost 44k for a 12plate 140 is laughable. No doubt there will be a few well priced examples just seems that since I started looking back in April there were a few more well priced examples & less daft priced as you say. Vwcampersales for example seem to have a few vans on the market justnow who are asking strong money for what they are compared to some they have sold in the past few months.

Last edited:
the vw sat nav is pants. the best in car sat nav is the BMW pro. fact. save your money and buy a stand alone unit.
Must be very simple then.:kiss

Before making a final decision on a VW California have you considered the alternative van conversions by the Motorhome companies? Hymer etc.
These can come in high spec fitment with on board toilet/shower plus full cooking facilities.
Draw up a list of must haves and would likes as a guide.
Height and length are a positive factor in the VW's everyday town/city use.

Also you will need to take in to account the higher road tax of a new van, which was increased from 500 to 800 pounds for the first 5 or 6 years.
F

Absolute rubbish!! the only tax rate for all californias registered after april 2017 is £450 per year for years 2-6 after that they are all £140 per year at todays rate.

I don't have details of all variants prior to 2017 but for instance a 2015 140 SE is £280 per year.

In the scale of a £50k+ purchase an extra £850 in tax spread over 5 years is a minor consideration.

I have never used a BMW sat nav but how precisely is it so much better the VW offering? The VW systems in both the T5 and T6 are easy to use and have always got us to our required destination. What more do you need from a sat nav system?

The VW camping facilities are far better than those offered in any BMW that Ive seen.
Its a lot easier to use WAZE or a TOM TOM in a VW than it is to fit a pop up roof & cooker to an X5

Seriously Ive found that with most in car satnavs its really just a case of getting used to them. Knowing that when it announces turn right in 200metres it really means turn now, and you get used to the logic behind the route planning & know when to ignore it.

I find the antiquated simple display in some older cars is easier to follow than the all singing all dancing top of the range BMW stuff which I don't stand a chance of reading without putting on my glasses.

Best sat nav we've had was in a TD5 Discovery metropolis, simple white line on a black background & factory mounted above the rear view mirror.

The VW systems in both the T5 and T6 are easy to use and have always got us to our required destination. What more do you need from a sat nav system?
1. Choice of voice:
- male
- female
- leaves you unsure
2. Choice of voice style:
- commanding
- assertive
- polite
- pleading
- rude (not available if isofix points in use)

Follow my blog: www.au-revoir.eu

Very confusing as what has a Sat Nav got to do with selecting a suitable Camper?
Manufacturer fitted ones are by default obsolete when fitted due to the rapid progress in computer design.

Has today's tech now been placed as a higher criteria than comfort, day and night, practicality etc.

Very confusing as what has a Sat Nav got to do with selecting a suitable Camper?
Manufacturer fitted ones are by default obsolete when fitted due to the rapid progress in computer design.

Has today's tech now been placed as a higher criteria than comfort, day and night, practicality etc.
I couldn't agree more.

To the OP,
With the exception of the parking heater which is an essential item to have, even the most bog standard basic California Beach or SE/Ocean does the camping and comfort thing perfectly IMO. It will keep you dry, warm, draught free in private whilst also providing a good nights sleep. The SE/Ocean enables you to cook and do limited washing/washing up in your camper but many people prefer to cook outside so don't use the cooker much if at all. Some also don't use the water tanks either. All the other techy stuff that links you to the World Wide Webb, stops you getting lost, keeps your telephonic device buzzing, stops you crashing into the car in front and swivels your mirrors etc are nice but not essential. They won't really enhance the basic camping experience and sense of freedom that you get from owning a Cali.

What ever you decide, the fridge is very useful. If you don't go for an SE/Ocean with a built in fridge then get yourself a self contained compressor fridge. They are very good and suit the Beach very well. We have just bought a Waeco compressor fridge and its brilliant. It's quiet, portable, runs on 12/24/240 volts and won't drain your liesure battery too much.

Good luck and happy adventures. :welcome

Last edited:
Thanks to you all for your informative and helpful replies. Much appreciated for sure.
It’s a really great forum from which the uninitiated (me for one) can become reasonably knowledgable in a short time in the many confusing types and options available with the VW California.

The first thought I have is ‘ Ocean or Beach, Beach or Ocean’.
What brought me to this thought is having read the ‘for sale’ section and noticing that some of the Ocean adverts stating the cooker has not been used.
So I am thinking, why pay for something you’re not using?
Looking forward to your replies that may help me in this thought process.

ChrisL.