Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

lower tailgate trim access to roller blind tools needed?

Birty

Birty

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204 4Motion
Thanks Birty,
Having studied your previous snaps, I rather suspected as much. I believe the screws you mention are located inside and behind the joint just above the black blanking plug in your latest photos. Two at each end. So it appears that there's no way you could remove them without taking the whole lower door card assembly off.

In that case I think I'll just leave it as it is. You chaps that have done this seem to be in total agreement that it's an awful job.

Thanks again.
Paul
Spot on Borris.. Would love to know what the VW guys do to change a blind... But Im gonna say: Don't change the blind ever! Just sell the van!!!

cpjb@btinternet.com

cpjb@btinternet.com

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180
My rear tailgate blind won't retract any more, and to make matters worse it's a little slack so that when it's hooked onto the plastic hanging bracket, every time the tailgate is raised to get something out of the rear it falls down and whacks me on the head!!

Seems like a nightmare to remove the panels to get access to the blind mechanism to see what's wrong. It doesn't seem possible but any thoughts on how it might be fixed without panel removal?

Other than that I guess I'll just have to wear my cycling helmet every time I open the tailgate :(.

Thanks.

Birty

Birty

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204 4Motion
My rear tailgate blind won't retract any more, and to make matters worse it's a little slack so that when it's hooked onto the plastic hanging bracket, every time the tailgate is raised to get something out of the rear it falls down and whacks me on the head!!

Seems like a nightmare to remove the panels to get access to the blind mechanism to see what's wrong. It doesn't seem possible but any thoughts on how it might be fixed without panel removal?

Other than that I guess I'll just have to wear my cycling helmet every time I open the tailgate :(.

Thanks.
Its a painful process getting to it unless someone knows a short cut... even then i dont think the blind cassette can be taken apart? Ask vw for quote first !!

Alan Andrews

Alan Andrews

Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
No shortcuts. Not only are there a load of different sized fixings, the panel is quite unwieldly to handle when disassembling and reassembly. You'll need an extra pair of hands.

Could try unwinding the blind fully and allow it to self wind back. See if this makes any difference.

cpjb@btinternet.com

cpjb@btinternet.com

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180
Thanks guys. I'll get a quote from VW.

Maybe the simple curtains you find on conversions are a better bet in the loing term!

cpjb@btinternet.com

cpjb@btinternet.com

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180
I'm afraid I didn't get a quote. I now fold the bottom trim back on itself until it reaches the top of the window, and then secure it with a strong plastic bulldog type clip. It's not pretty, but does the job - and defers the expenditure until next year :).