Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Lowering or new alloys?

simon parker

simon parker

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
Ok, so picked up a 6 month old LHD 2018 T6 Cali Ocean a few months ago (I do a lot of EU travelling so LHD is perfect). Originally vehicle came from mycalifornia.eu, great guys there by the way, super helpful. But it's come with 16 inch alloys so looking to make it a bit more sporty looking and reduce the roll around corners. So I see there is a lowering kit, VW quoting me £460 inc VAT for supply and fit, which would lower the van by 3mm. Is that worth doing? Or just change the alloys to 17 or 18 inch? Or both? I don't want a hard ride it's hard enough over bumps surprisingly and I know bigger alloys will make that harder, especially I guess with lowered suspension too.

Looking for some advise please.

Got some photos of current setup (can't get whole van in too many bushes in the way)

I did both, 30mm lowered by VW (I paid £445 inc VAT fitted so haggle with them) & then sourced some 18" VW Sportline alloys...... nowhere near as extreme as some go but I like the look......

It is a tad harder ride than the original set up with 17" wheels but nothing unacceptable (IMO)

yea I was thinking going for the lowering and finding some nice VW sportline alloys. Not sure what happens to my spare then though. Worried about the ride being too firm if I do all that and where to get a nice set of the alloys. Thanks for the advise

yea I was thinking going for the lowering and finding some nice VW sportline alloys. Not sure what happens to my spare then though. Worried about the ride being too firm if I do all that and where to get a nice set of the alloys. Thanks for the advise
I've just kept the standard 17" steel spare, as the rolling circumference of the wheel & tyre are the same. (All official wheel & tyre combinations have more or less the same so as to keep the speedo readings within tolerance)

We always lower on the -30mm sport line springs fitted at the dealers before taking delivery. We also fit 18" genuine VW alloys the ride does not feel much if at all different than the 17" that came off.

Kept the 17" spare as well.

I lowered 30mm with the old 18 inch sportlines.
16 inch steel as a spare.47246

Ok, so picked up a 6 month old LHD 2018 T6 Cali Ocean a few months ago (I do a lot of EU travelling so LHD is perfect). Originally vehicle came from mycalifornia.eu, great guys there by the way, super helpful. But it's come with 16 inch alloys so looking to make it a bit more sporty looking and reduce the roll around corners. So I see there is a lowering kit, VW quoting me £460 inc VAT for supply and fit, which would lower the van by 3mm. Is that worth doing? Or just change the alloys to 17 or 18 inch? Or both? I don't want a hard ride it's hard enough over bumps surprisingly and I know bigger alloys will make that harder, especially I guess with lowered suspension too.

Looking for some advise please.

Got some photos of current setup (can't get whole van in too many bushes in the way)

View attachment 47241View attachment 47242View attachment 47243
Are you sure you have 16" wheels.
May have changed with the T6 but on the T5.1 the 17" wheels were standard on the SE [ now T6 Ocean ] because of the larger brake callipers on the front.

Are you sure you have 16" wheels.
May have changed with the T6 but on the T5.1 the 17" wheels were standard on the SE [ now T6 Ocean ] because of the larger brake callipers on the front.

And as far as I know the early sport line wheels in the photo above do not fit over the larger front calliper's without a spacer.

Back