Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Lowering the roof in a gale!

David Eccles

David Eccles

VIP Member
after 2 lovely sunny days at Worms Head (Gower) tues night was horrendous gales and lashing rain a bit scary (luckily had already taken in awning as already planned an early get away from campsite).
Next morning was still dire ..parked on cliff tops wind and rain directly at us...
lowering the roof in this..aagghhh
solution? have Cee on standby outside with big stick to poke the canvas in and me standing up inside pulling as well. Front part needed a hefty poke with stick but it all worked fine!
Drying it all out now at home!
Recommend Pitton Cross Campsite which is open ALL year! Great walks (with dog) to coast path, Rhossili Bay, Worms Head...a perfect location to get away for a couple of days and recharge life batteries...

May I suggest the bellows bungee from the shop section will greatly help you in windy conditions.

We had an experience like that in France, a real gusty wind - it kept blowing the bellows out one way and then the other. It was all a question of timing and a dollop of luck! When we got home, I purchased 25 meters of shock cord from Amazon. The plan being that if it is impossible to lower the roof due to wind, I'd just quickly run it around and tie it off - and it has never, ever been used since. We must have done 150 nights in the van since then - it is my lucky charm...

I say never used, but it is really useful for keeping our bike cover nice and snug!

Yeah I had an experience like that in Cumbria in snowy blizzard conditions, in the 80s van. The wind got so bad we had to drop it down but we were too late and it had already broke one of the hinges. That's the one thing however that is much easier to do on the old van than the Cali.

Even though I present to the world a happy, smiley "everything's right in my world" when I'm in my camper the reality is there are times when I wish that I was anywhere but in my camper...

Those times are when the roof is up and so is the wind, the shake, rattle and roll, the flapping of canvas and that dread inside of "what if the roof gets damaged, I can't get it down..." ...

or..

"Do I try and get it down in this wind, and before it gets worse.... or leave it until morning hoping the wind will ease off"

There is no easy answer, except to sit up all night drinking tea and reading the latest copy of "the good hotel guide"..

Maybe moving the van slowly so it's in a tail wind would help?

The worse gale we we in was on Skye but we had a wind break on each side of us in the form of a coach size German Motor home on each side !!!
My worse worry in very bad weather is Tree's

In Cornwall once, I drove very slowly with the roof still up and parked in the lee of the campsite shop to lower it. This worked and may be a solution if there is a handy tall building nearby.

In Cornwall once, I drove very slowly with the roof still up and parked in the lee of the campsite shop to lower it. This worked and may be a solution if there is a handy tall building nearby.
Or moving the vehicle to get it positioned rear to the wind, although that may not prevent the canvas billowing the wrong way.

Having suffered the roof canvas scissoring and needing replaced not long after getting our Cali, there are a few things we always consider when lowering the roof:

1. The club bungee chord is helpful but will not always work subject to wind strength and direction.
2. Always have someone outside walking round the van checking as the roof is lowered. Do this yourself if alone, although it's important to be in a position to be able to grab the fabric through the hatch from the inside if required. Use a torch if necessary when it's dark, as we've occasionally been caught in a storm during the night. A stick is also helpful for pushing in the fabric.
3. Lower the roof in small stages if necessary, which allows you to tuck fabric in subject to gusting.
4. Ensure one window only is opened and consider wind direction, as it's generally better to have the window open on the lee-side so that the bellows will not billow out with a gust. Similarly, two windows or a window and side door open can create unpredictable through drafts.
5. Be prepared to reposition the van, despite the warning bleeps and display readings, so that rear is angled into the wind and/or you can shelter in the lee of a tree, building, etc. so that it is less windy to lower the roof. Do remember to disconnect electrics before doing this!
6. And finally, or maybe it should be number 1, being Scottish, we are well used to gales and positioning the van tail into the wind, that's always the first priority when selecting a pitch (even before considering the view). However, storms and gales can spring up really quickly from nothing to serious, especially abroad, so be prepared to move position as per number 5 above. Better to be ahead of the situation rather than caught out!

Apologies if I'm preaching what a lot will already know but hope it's helpful.

Always a good idea to survey the surrounding area for obsticals before it gets dark in case of an emergency maneuver

Alan

The worse gale we we in was on Skye but we had a wind break on each side of us in the form of a coach size German Motor home on each side !!!
My worse worry in very bad weather is Tree's

After forced wild camping in Kyle in January my worst fears are bits of roofs and rubbish bins. Even parked in the middle of a harbour cap park over 100 metres from the nearest building I still had a close tun thing with bits of roofs being blown in my direction :D

Always a good idea to survey the surrounding area for obsticals before it gets dark in case of an emergency maneuver

Alan

Good point Alan, I really should have mentioned that as well... However, as to Granny's flying debris, having witnessed other people's picnic tables literally flying into the sea on the coast of Slovenia, I think we're all in the lap of the gods when it comes to this type of stuff.

Back