Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

T6.1 Roof Stuck Open

And what I was afraid for: touch screens... Not as user friendly in case of problems.

In defence of touch screens, Apple have sold 2.2 Billion iPhones...;)
The roof problem is likely to be software fix, if they were smart like Tesla, they could roll out the fix, via the cloud, to your van as it was sat on the drive.

4E1BFF1A-C299-43B8-9C17-176BF58DC386.jpeg

In defence of touch screens, Apple have sold 2.2 Billion iPhones...;)
The roof problem is likely to be software fix, if they were smart like Tesla, they could roll out the fix, via the cloud, to your van as it was sat on the drive.

View attachment 60587
Don't get me started on that :happy each time I turn on the ignition it tells me there's a software update available but it never actually does the install when I click the update button.. I think I'll give vw Cs a call tomorrow to log the roof thing and let them know it doesn't seem to be isolated. Can't do any harm.

Don't get me started on that :happy each time I turn on the ignition it tells me there's a software update available but it never actually does the install when I click the update button.. I think I'll give vw Cs a call tomorrow to log the roof thing and let them know it doesn't seem to be isolated. Can't do any harm.
Really
Mine doesn’t and there from a similar timescale .
But up to now I have had no issues with anything all working as it should?
I hope I didn’t just tempt fate

Really
Mine doesn’t and there from a similar timescale .
But up to now I have had no issues with anything all working as it should?
I hope I didn’t just tempt fate
..swap?? :upsidedown
:) You have the Discover Media Pro if I remember? so may be different update packages to the standard head. It says there's an update but when I check it says I'm all up to date. Again just buggy software. I'll have a go at a Factory Reset later and see if that aligns everything.

..swap?? :upsidedown
:) You have the Discover Media Pro if I remember? so may be different update packages to the standard head. It says there's an update but when I check it says I'm all up to date. Again just buggy software. I'll have a go at a Factory Reset later and see if that aligns everything.
Ha ha :thumb
No I just have the normal discover pack

Hi all,
Hope you're all faring well in these troubled time.
In an attempt to get some use out of the cali we've had the pop top up for a couple of days on the drive and this morning when I went to close it (impending rain), the control panel is not responding to Close or Open. It flashed up something briefly about the roof being in an indeterminate or intermediate state but that hasn't come back. When looking at the roof from the outside I can see it's dropped a fraction on the offside. Used a hop-up to take a look at the mechanism I can see the offside mechanism is 10-15mm back from being fully engaged. Nearside is fully engaged.
Referring to the manual there is a section on lowering the roof manually. So I followed the very poor instructions as best as I can and removed the panel housing the emergency buttons, exposing the foam above. I've had to pick all of this out in pieces until I finally find the hydraulic mechanism. Referring to earlier model threads on here I find what looks to be the equivalent of the brass screw (although the new one looks to be silver in colour but in the same position). It's incredibly tricky to reach but I have one screwdriver that is just able to turn it. I loosened it 2 full turns and nothing happened so I've tightened it and now looking for some advice.I've attached some pictures below showing the hydraulic positioning and the super difficult to reach screw. I'm utterly bemused at a system that involves having to spend 2 hours trying to find a screw just to try and lower the roof manually. The manual makes it sound so easy and the photo bears no resemblance to what needs to happen it seems.
I've called my local VW dealer to see if any of the technicians are working but understandably they're working on a skeleton crew.
Any thoughts aside from just torching it on the drive and walking away, as that's how I'm feeling :rolleyes:
View attachment 60265View attachment 60266 you can see this one isn't fully engaged, although it was all good when we raised 2 days ago with the canvas taught.
View attachment 60267View attachment 60268View attachment 60269View attachment 60270I believe it's the screw that you can just see on the left with the yellow paint dab. Super difficult to reach.
Hi there,
Can I ask what you used to remove the panels? Can you recommend any kits ?
Cheers
Andrew

Reading this thread having just ordered a new and very expensive 6.1 it’s a little concerning. One would have thought that access to the screw needed for manual lowering of the roof would have been much simpler. Why on earth do VW not locate it behind a simple removable cover. I’m staggered that it’s necessary to dismantle the camping control unit and start hacking away at foam insulation. Back to the drawing board VW.

Reading this thread having just ordered a new and very expensive 6.1 it’s a little concerning. One would have thought that access to the screw needed for manual lowering of the roof would have been much simpler. Why on earth do VW not locate it behind a simple removable cover. I’m staggered that it’s necessary to dismantle the camping control unit and start hacking away at foam insulation. Back to the drawing board VW.
Don’t yet have any practical experience as I’m awaiting delivery of my 6.1 but found the following and wondered whether it’s worth running before all the hassle of getting to the elusive screw?

VW diagnostic

For those of you who don't know, if you ever get any problems with roof stuck or any other error say with the heater or fridge, you are able to access the hidden menu in your control panel as used by the VW Engineers.

Access as follows:

1. Hold down the centre of the rotary button together with the menu button (button below with the squares on it)

2. You will get the hidden menu.

3. Rotate the rotary button to get to "VW diagnose" and select this by pressing on the centre of the rotary button.

4. If no errors are present it will display "no errors"

5. If Errors are present then a list of errors will appear

6. Press the centre of the rotary button again to delete all the errors

7. Repeat process above just to check that errors have dissapeared!

8. Re-configure the time and date if neccesary.

Any problems should be resolved assuming these are Electronic and not Mechanical.

Error Codes from Control Panel.

1 = 1 = Pop-up roof

2 = 2 = Plumbing Heating

3 = 3 = Cool box Cooler

4 = 4 = Sewage wastewater

5 = 5 = Fresh water

6 = 6 = Outside temperature

7 = 7 = Battery

Error Code Defect Fault

1010 1010 Short-circuit to (earth) roof

1001 1001 Fuse / short circuit to (plus+) roof

1100 1100 Short-circuit output Roof "on"

1101 1101 Fuse roof "to"

1110 1110 Short-circuit output Roof "to"

1111 1111 Fuse starting Roof "to"

2100 2100 Short-circuit output heating on / off

2101 2101 Fuse output heating on / off

2001 2001 Interrupt input heating 30

3100 3100 Short-circuit output coolbox

3101 3101 Fuse interrupt output coolbox

3001 3001-J698-cooler input error "Active"

3010 3010 Short-circuit input icebox "actual temperature"

3011 3011 Interrupt or fuse input icebox "actual temperature"

4000 4000 Short-circuit to ground water level sensor

4001 4001 Fuse circuit to plus water level sensor failure

5000 5000 Short-circuit to ground water level sensor

5001 5001 Short circuit to plus water level sensor failure

6000 6000 Short-circuit to ground temperature sensor or for outdoor temperature

6001 6001 Fuse / short circuit to plus two temperature sensors for outside temperature

7001 7001 interrupt input interrupt input D +

Don’t yet have any practical experience as I’m awaiting delivery of my 6.1 but found the following and wondered whether it’s worth running before all the hassle of getting to the elusive screw?

VW diagnostic

For those of you who don't know, if you ever get any problems with roof stuck or any other error say with the heater or fridge, you are able to access the hidden menu in your control panel as used by the VW Engineers.

Access as follows:

1. Hold down the centre of the rotary button together with the menu button (button below with the squares on it)

2. You will get the hidden menu.

3. Rotate the rotary button to get to "VW diagnose" and select this by pressing on the centre of the rotary button.

4. If no errors are present it will display "no errors"

5. If Errors are present then a list of errors will appear

6. Press the centre of the rotary button again to delete all the errors

7. Repeat process above just to check that errors have dissapeared!

8. Re-configure the time and date if neccesary.

Any problems should be resolved assuming these are Electronic and not Mechanical.

Error Codes from Control Panel.

1 = 1 = Pop-up roof

2 = 2 = Plumbing Heating

3 = 3 = Cool box Cooler

4 = 4 = Sewage wastewater

5 = 5 = Fresh water

6 = 6 = Outside temperature

7 = 7 = Battery

Error Code Defect Fault

1010 1010 Short-circuit to (earth) roof

1001 1001 Fuse / short circuit to (plus+) roof

1100 1100 Short-circuit output Roof "on"

1101 1101 Fuse roof "to"

1110 1110 Short-circuit output Roof "to"

1111 1111 Fuse starting Roof "to"

2100 2100 Short-circuit output heating on / off

2101 2101 Fuse output heating on / off

2001 2001 Interrupt input heating 30

3100 3100 Short-circuit output coolbox

3101 3101 Fuse interrupt output coolbox

3001 3001-J698-cooler input error "Active"

3010 3010 Short-circuit input icebox "actual temperature"

3011 3011 Interrupt or fuse input icebox "actual temperature"

4000 4000 Short-circuit to ground water level sensor

4001 4001 Fuse circuit to plus water level sensor failure

5000 5000 Short-circuit to ground water level sensor

5001 5001 Short circuit to plus water level sensor failure

6000 6000 Short-circuit to ground temperature sensor or for outdoor temperature

6001 6001 Fuse / short circuit to plus two temperature sensors for outside temperature

7001 7001 interrupt input interrupt input D +
That works on the Control Panels fitted to the T5/5.1 and 6. The same function is probably available on the T6. 1 touchscreen but no one knows how to access it yet.

Hopefully you will never need to access it. I suspect that most people never do. If you do, then call the VW Assist people first. I wouldn't start messing about with it yourself unless all else fails.

Thinking what if will only put you off buying.
The California is a complex vehicle there’s so much that can go wrong as with everything.if you jump on a plane it could fall from the sky ;)

I don’t think VW like us!
Wait until you need to check a fuse.
For a giggle, when you have the handover of your new van, ask where the fuse allocation chart is!

I don’t think VW like us!
Wait until you need to check a fuse.
For a giggle, when you have the handover of your new van, ask where the fuse allocation chart is!
I’ll do that

Damn wish I'd thought of that....................

Hi everyone, just had a similar issue with my cali coast. I bought it from a rental co brand new and they'd spec'd an electric roof. I so wish they hadn't. It did an auto pump up twice in the night, to our shock, and then this morning a quick error code and then no response on the touch screen. Stuck up, with one side loose and dipped by 10cm and one stuck.

The diagram in the 6.1 manual does not resemble the van when it comes to the location of the manual release screw. We have an old flathead bolt that was only accessible behind the touchscreen, not where it says it is. It's the same as it was in the t5, but now much harder to get to. Perhaps it's being relocated but esrly models didnt have this actually happen.

Turning it got the roof down but it is now unresponsive on the touch screen again.

Having had this issue with my t5 and having only got an electric roof by mistake I would seriously reconsider getting an ocean or adding an electric roof. It's messed with our trip in two vans, in two years, one of which was brand new. VW need to rethink this, seriously.

Off to take the van to a dealer as we now can't sleep in it with the roof now stuck down. So dissapointing.

I think you attract roof problems if you say it this way?

I never had problems with the roof apart from sagging, but I was and am always able to operate the roof.

On the other hand you still can sleep in it, but only downstairs. Cooking is a bit harder without the roof open.

Hi Everyone!
I had a software hickup in the controlpanel today (it got stuck in the warning message; see image) and hence I got stuck in the wild with the roof up.

The only way to restart the panel (according to my local VW dealer) is to unplug the extra battery located under the drivers seat. You need a wrench size 10 and voilá, it restarted and worked!

Maybe this helps someone...

/S

3f7d0b96a58eb64cc72466eaa5174bc8.jpg

Skickat från min iPhone med Tapatalk

Hi Everyone!
I had a software hickup in the controlpanel today (it got stuck in the warning message; see image) and hence I got stuck in the wild with the roof up.

The only way to restart the panel (according to my local VW dealer) is to unplug the extra battery located under the drivers seat. You need a wrench size 10 and voilá, it restarted and worked!

Maybe this helps someone...

/S

3f7d0b96a58eb64cc72466eaa5174bc8.jpg

Skickat från min iPhone med Tapatalk
Hi - I got that same issue this week - stuck in that screen and could not do anything - I have reset the control panel by unplugging fuses 5 to 8, wait a couple of minuts and plug them right in again - that worked as well. It does seem however, after resetting, you need to drive a couple of miles for ALL systems to reset, at least, that is what my dealer told me - thanks for the tip on the battery, will give that a try in the future!

In our very first international trip with our new t6.1 ocean we had a problem with our pop-up roof to. It was up since two days on this camping. The first day the Cali was not connected to 220v, the second day I connected the power wire. Then this morning I noticed it had dropped a few centimeters. So I tried to lift it up again but the system did not work. All else seemed to be working normally, but I noticed that there was no green checkmark in the display near the pop-up roof. Normally the menu of the popup roof tells you to put the ignition switch on, but not now. When pressing the button for up or down nothing happened. No sound and no error indication. Tried starting the engine, everything ok but still nothing from the roof.
I pressed the button next to the emergency button for help, and luckily that worked. I got in contact with vw helpdesk, and they had a local dealer to come over and help us out. The mechanic had no experience with a cali but had some instructions printed out. He started the engine and (much to my frustration since I had tried that twice!) there now came an error text stating the roof was not erected fully (or something like that). And then everything was magically ok again: raising and lowering worked as designed.
Next he connected to the van with his computer. The Cali reported it had experienced a power problem. He could explain (or my German wasn’t good enough) not exactly, but it was something with to much power or to much power drain. Still, the only thing we had used power with was te refrigerator and the charging of two phones with the 2 usb powering ducts on the kitchen side. I did however remember that the refrigerator stopped working two times in the past few days (I saw the little indication on the top display was disappeared).
Now we are on the road again, and the only thing now that is bugging me is that the powerindicator now tells us we have power for 28 hours. Up till nowthat always was 60 hours..

Glad you got the roof sorted. As far as the battery indicator is concerned it doesn't always tell the truth....... Leaving home on Friday mine said 59hrs when I arrived at Slimbridge 90mins later it said 23hrs, The following morning having not moved and like you with the fridge on it said 53hrs. Beats the hell out of me.........

Thinking what if will only put you off buying.
The California is a complex vehicle there’s so much that can go wrong as with everything.if you jump on a plane it could fall from the sky ;)
correct, that is why my main reason for ordering a coast is precisely the manual roof ... and the too high starting price of the ocean (which can still use options ;) ). I really don't want to be one of those with bad luck on the roof; of course my display or whatever may have problems but I have already ruled out the the possible inconveniences with the electro-hydraulic roof by my choice. But each has a choice, isn't it.

Hopefully everyone can have their issues with the electro-hydraulic roof solved.
greetings

Back