Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

lowering

B

bounty40

I'm looking to lower my van when I get it in March sportline springs 30mm - only because I think it looks better is there any pros/ cons to doing this other than be a few more hundred quid out of pocket .??

Definitely pro's looks better,handles better :thumb

Go for H&R springs, its a much smoother ride. We don't fit sportline springs anymore :thumb

Correct me here, Calis are T30s Sportlines are T32s and have different springs so not strictly Sportline springs, will H&R springs be covered by the warranty ? the dealer lowered ours -30mm looks better and handles a lot better no wallowing into corners just feels more taut and sure footed :thumb

But what do you do with the old springs!!!

When we lived in Holland years ago there was a paved area in front of the houses with what our kids called wip waps. Basically what looked like a van spring with a platform on top and an animals head the kids sat on the platform holding the head and could happily rock back and forth.

Maybe with all these old springs around we could set up a production line.

Seriously though, they don't seem to have any value on flea bay, so has anyone else got any ideas, or do folks just leave them out for the scrapman?

Bramco said:
But what do you do with the old springs!!!

When we lived in Holland years ago there was a paved area in front of the houses with what our kids called wip waps. Basically what looked like a van spring with a platform on top and an animals head the kids sat on the platform holding the head and could happily rock back and forth.

Maybe with all these old springs around we could set up a production line.

Seriously though, they don't seem to have any value on flea bay, so has anyone else got any ideas, or do folks just leave them out for the scrapman?

Know what your saying mine are in the lowering springs box under my bench in the workshop with my standard wheels (not in the same box) lol, lots of people don't get the lowering thing so they only have to ask on here if they break a spring loads available cheap :thumb

Calikev said:
Definitely pro's looks better,handles better :thumb

100% agree, handles better, rides better, looks better. :)

2nd best upgrade when we bought our van 5 years ago. (Went for VW lowering springs to maintain warranty etc...)

As others have said, no value in old springs, mine are still sitting in the garage 5 years on.

Best upgrade... Full proper leather retrim (Not the VW Alcantara and vinyl), from a practicality perspective the interior materials of the Cali if appalling for staining etc.

Rgds

M

BMVS-Camper-Hire said:
Go for H&R springs, its a much smoother ride. We don't fit sportline springs anymore :thumb

Is that smoother than the factory setup or smoother than the VW Sportlines (Eibach) -30mm. Or hopefully both. tempted to change mine for something better. Maybe go the whole hog and get Bilstein B14, would that be a better ride still.

owen_h said:
BMVS-Camper-Hire said:

Is that smoother than the factory setup or smoother than the VW Sportlines (Eibach) -30mm. Or hopefully both. tempted to change mine for something better. Maybe go the whole hog and get Bilstein B14, would that be a better ride still.

The Billy's are great, or go the whole way and fit air only 2k :thumb

owen_h said:
BMVS-Camper-Hire said:

IN my opinion they are smoother than both, but especially so the -30mm factory (Sportline springs - which incidently in referral to a comment above, they make in T30 and T32)

On my new kombi, we have just fitted Bilstein B14's, and the difference is another step up the ladder, but so is the price!!

BMVS-Camper-Hire said:
owen_h said:
BMVS-Camper-Hire said:

IN my opinion they are smoother than both, but especially so the -30mm factory (Sportline springs - which incidently in referral to a comment above, they make in T30 and T32)

On my new kombi, we have just fitted Bilstein B14's, and the difference is another step up the ladder, but so is the price!!

Thanks for the correction every days a school day :thumb

What sort of money are the H&R springs?
I want to do mine in the new year as the body roll is quite alarming :shocked
I drove commercial vans for 14 years and never seems to have this amount of worry about body roll.

Just Kampers have the H&Rs at £230 and the B14s at £1089. Presumably + fitting cost. Not that I have been looking of course…. Not dared to checkout the cost of air system as in severe danger of price creep as it is :crazy

After starting to read this thread and looking around I've struggled to find any H&R springs that lower to -30mm. It just so happens that on the bay of evil are some H&R springs of -40mm, would the 10mm make much difference? Would 40mm be overkill?
It seems odd that since this started that they should appear on there!
:help

We've bot Bilstein B14's and lowered 70mm on 20 inch wheels. The ride is excellent. The only thing that occasionally catches is the rear mudflaps on speed bumps. I cannot take them off though.

H&R only do a -40mm spring and Eibach do the -30mm spring which is what VW used to use on the Sportline. I have a set on H&R springs on my 2010 T30 Shuttle and has totally transformed the way it drives. No more wallowing at all. I brought mine from Merseyspeed and fitted them myself which is only advisable if you're competent with spanners as its a commercial vehicle and very heavy. It's advisable to give merseyspeed a call as they're very helpful and the type of spring depends on your vehicles axle weight.

Ian.

Vanstyle based at Blidworth near Mansfield do free fitting on anything you buy from them they do a 10% discount every bank holiday if any use to anyone :thumb

The H&R springs lower the vehicle by 40mm. We do them, fitted, including a full 4 wheel alignment and adjustment for ÂŁ450+VAT. We will offer a 10% discount for any VIP members.

Hi we have opted for Bilstein B14s currently chosen maximium drop, 19" corners, you must be aware that your warranty may be affected, VW do not always look favourably on non standard modifications. Having said that we have not had an issue VW Leicester ( top garage) We have not had any issues with grounding. If they are the prefered supplier to Porsche then a mere fitter cannot take issue.

The B14 kit is lighter than the standard suspension as well, so you should see an improvement on fuel economy, obviously depending on how heavy your new wheels are as well :thumb

Asked my local VW van centre for quite for fitting 30mm lowering springs to 2014 California and was told they would only fit to van with 18" alloys. This doesn't sound right to me, can anyone confirm if this is VW policy.

Not heard that one before I know quite a few Cali's that have been lowered with 17 inch
Thunders so I would say your dealer is after selling you a new set of wheels

That does sound very odd, you can lower any California, regardless of wether its 16, 17 or 18 inch wheels. Find another dealer :thumb

We just had -30mm lowering springs added (Eibach ones). The improvement in the ride and handling is stellar. All our mods were external but this one you really feel inside the van. Love it.

This leads on to a related question that the clever people on here should be able to answer:

My Cali Beach was (I think) 1990 mm high pre-lowering. So what height is it now? My maths says it should be 1960 mm, but is that right? I'm thinking in terms of height restriction barriers of course...

Cheers!
Blakey

Have always had positive comments about the VW lowering springs, have never driven one with H&R springs on. The VW lowering springs will not impact your warranty at all and can be fitted to a California even if it does not have 18 inch wheels on.

H&R and Bilstein can affect your warranty as not a genuine part. Best thing to do is to try and drive one of each if possible to see which one you prefer as it is a lot of money to pay to then find you want it lower or not as low etc...

cheers

Back