Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Lurker turned member by Flavin post

N

Nice Travels

Vehicle
Just browsing
Hi, I've been lurking on this valuable forum for well over a year now. We live in Canada, husband from Sidmouth Devon, and are returning for increasingly frequent and lengthy visits home (Sidmouth). I've been exploring the idea of a VW California as a mobile guest suite. Staying with friends and family is nice and, everyone's very generous with their accommodation, but I'm craving a "home" of our own and I think the Cali would be a great solution for both travel and transport, plus independent accommodation while visiting. So, that's my story.

The reason I chose to stop lurking, join and introduce myself is due, solely, to a recent post 'Watch this before buying a Cali'. I needed to join just so I could thank the poster for sharing that video. I've been actively searching forums, YouTube, VW sites, any and all Cali info, looking for the answer to a simple question - Can I stand up and cook in the Cali?. No kidding, I've been looking for a simple answer to that simple question for MONTHS! Then, within a few minutes of Bob Flavin's brilliant video, he pushes the upper 'bed' up, stands and says, "You need to stand to cook, this is how you do it in a Cali" (or words to that effect). Perfect! Now I know and, now I can continue my research and journey to, hopefully, Cali-ownership in 2020.

Thanks for letting me join the forum.

You can cook with the roof down sitting also ....we sit most the time while cooking even when the roof is up .
Welcome btw.

Thanks! It does seem that from most of what I've read/seen, people do seem to cook whilst sitting. I may get used to it, just like I got used to, and now love, using the trackpad on my laptop rather than a mouse (remember those?), but for now the comfort of knowing I can stand if I choose to is wonderful.