Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Main Battery Charging advise please

Moose

Moose

T6 Ocean 204 DSG
VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204
I have a 2017 Cali, it had a flat main battery which the nice guy from the RAC boasted/charged the top level/stage 1, but said I needed to charge the lower level/stage 2 over a 48hr period and recommended a Ce-tex charger which I now have.
He advise I disconnect the earth lead (which I am reluctant to do) and then attached the live directly to the battery but the Ce-tec instructions advise to connect the earth lead to a earth point (away from fuel lines) and the live directly my question is what is the best method
1. Connect the battery charger to the battery with earth and live in place.
2. Connect the battery charger to the battery, but disconnect the earth and find a suitable earth point - if so can anyone recommend
Was not aware batteries came with 2 levels!!
Many thanks for any advice given

I have a 2017 Cali, it had a flat main battery which the nice guy from the RAC boasted/charged the top level/stage 1, but said I needed to charge the lower level/stage 2 over a 48hr period and recommended a Ce-tex charger which I now have.
He advise I disconnect the earth lead (which I am reluctant to do) and then attached the live directly to the battery but the Ce-tec instructions advise to connect the earth lead to a earth point (away from fuel lines) and the live directly my question is what is the best method
1. Connect the battery charger to the battery with earth and live in place.
2. Connect the battery charger to the battery, but disconnect the earth and find a suitable earth point - if so can anyone recommend
Was not aware batteries came with 2 levels!!
Many thanks for any advice given
Follow the CTEK advice. Earth from Charger to an earth point on bodywork or engine. Positive from charger to battery positive.
VWs with Bluemotion have a battery monitor attached to the - tve pole of the battery. If you bypass this the vehicle computer won't know the status of the engine battery. The T6 has Bluemotion.

Sorry to say, but most modern vehicle batteries, once they go flat, struggle to hold a charge for any period of time, so a replacement is in your future.
As for charging engine battery,
As its an Ocean, if you hook it up using the ehu, once the leisure batteries are full it will give trickle charge to engine battery

WelshGas thank you, would your recommend any particular point for earthing.

Taff996. Thats what I thought but the RAC chap said it only charged the top stage1 of the battery and not the lower stage2. He did a run a health check and said the battery is fine and would not need to be replaced, but I will keep an eye on it - thank you.

WelshGas thank you, would your recommend any particular point for earthing.

Taff996. Thats what I thought but the RAC chap said it only charged the top stage1 of the battery and not the lower stage2. He did a run a health check and said the battery is fine and would not need to be replaced, but I will keep an eye on it - thank you.
Any bare metal/bolt/nut that is within reach. There is one on the battery clamp front/bottom of battery.
If it's not a good earth then the cTek LEDs won't come on.

Any bare metal/bolt/nut that is within reach. There is one on the battery clamp front/bottom of battery.
If it's not a good earth then the cTek LEDs won't come on.
Thank you

I'd second @WelshGas and follow the C-Tek instructions.
AGM recondition as well on first charge.

also leave it connected until Cali is required as it'll monitor and top as required after the first full charge sequence.

As already said battery and an earth point. But I don’t understand the “disconnect the earth“ in option 2?

As already said battery and an earth point. But I don’t understand the “disconnect the earth“ in option 2?
My CTEK MXS 5.0 don't mention the second option instructions. Like you @ArunAlec puzzled.

No circuit if battery negative disconnected??

I charge mine with an intelligent charger via the cigarette lighter sockets on the dash which remain live when engine is switched off. On the Beach one dash socket does the main battery, the other the leisure battery.

I charge mine with an intelligent charger via the cigarette lighter sockets on the dash which remain live when engine is switched off. On the Beach one dash socket does the main battery, the other the leisure battery.
I've used that plug in method on my old car for years and only just recently checked the voltage at the battery and found it lower than than at the lighter socket. Put it down to long wiring to the actual battery giving the voltage drop.
Now fitted a DIN Socket near the battery, with minimum wiring length, for quick and simple plug in.

Note! not done this on the Cali.

No I did not either, he (RAC chap) said to disconnect the earth and connect the Cetek directly to the battery terminals.

Back