Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Main control panel - How to reset

D

dominichayhoe

Vehicle
Grand California 600
I've only owned my van for a few months now, but I thought it might be worth having this pinned somewhere as it seems reading this forum quite a few owners see their control panel freeze (or elements of it) without knowing how to resolve it, if it's just the software.

Having worked in software for 25 years, I must admit I was surprised when I first saw quite a few people not thinking to simply turn off the electrics and back on again. Yes that old chesnut!

Now, this won't resolve a control panel hardware failure, or even one that is failing, but it should resolve that vast majority of cases where the software stops talking to the various systems.

It came as zero surprise to me that this happens, as I know when trying to get one software system to talk to other software systems it always leads to issues.

It's a great idea, in concept, but should almost be expected this will happen at some point in your usage.

Would be interested to know if anyone knows of a way to reset the panel in any other way too, to save crawling under the bed if it is down.

A good friends of mine works in IT support, and he tells me he literally spends half his day asking clients if they have tried turning their computer off and back on again! :D

I've only owned my van for a few months now, but I thought it might be worth having this pinned somewhere as it seems reading this forum quite a few owners see their control panel freeze (or elements of it) without knowing how to resolve it, if it's just the software.

Having worked in software for 25 years, I must admit I was surprised when I first saw quite a few people not thinking to simply turn off the electrics and back on again. Yes that old chesnut!

Now, this won't resolve a control panel hardware failure, or even one that is failing, but it should resolve that vast majority of cases where the software stops talking to the various systems.

It came as zero surprise to me that this happens, as I know when trying to get one software system to talk to other software systems it always leads to issues.

It's a great idea, in concept, but should almost be expected this will happen at some point in your usage.

Would be interested to know if anyone knows of a way to reset the panel in any other way too, to save crawling under the bed if it is down.

A good friends of mine works in IT support, and he tells me he literally spends half his day asking clients if they have tried turning their computer off and back on again! :D
Thank you! Simple but effective (for me at least) as a cure for a roof icon flashing despite the apparently normal roof function. No need for the full reset after all.

Back