Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

T 6.1 Ocean control panel reset

Same problem today - roof did not want to close - pulled out and in all 5-8 fuses and panel reset - roof closed after thatView attachment 63304
Good that a solution has been found for this. Just for completeness, can you explain the order that you removed, and more importantly replaced the fuses? Was it all out, then replaced 5, then 6, 7, 8?

Good that a solution has been found for this. Just for completeness, can you explain the order that you removed, and more importantly replaced the fuses? Was it all out, then replaced 5, then 6, 7, 8?
Replaced them in order 5 to 8 - did not replace them just in/out and control unit was reset

Replaced them in order 5 to 8 - did not replace them just in/out and control unit was reset
Very useful thanks. I’m also awaiting delivery of a new T6.1 so it’s good to be prepared for this roof problem should VW not sort it out in the coming weeks/months. It would seem a much better/easier fix than removing the camper control panel and hacking away at foam rubber to reach the manual lowering screw as discussed in other threads.

I’m probably being thick - I’m not sure I follow. Does this mean ignition off then remove the four fuses? Then ignition on to make it ‘crash’ then turn ignition off again? Then replace all four, then ignition on again to force a reset?

I’m probably being thick - I’m not sure I follow. Does this mean ignition off then remove the four fuses? Then ignition on to make it ‘crash’ then turn ignition off again? Then replace all four, then ignition on again to force a reset?
no ignition involved, just pull the fuses and let the unit discharge/reset.

Fyi, keep an eye on your fridge symbol in the camper unit. That thing turned itself off 2 times the last weeks. My milk was Joghurt:D

Evening, currently in the Netherlands, 2nd night the lights in the roof started flashing, turned them off and on again, all good, tonight noticed they'd turn on then switch straight back off, looked at the control panel and the green tick next to the roof function was flashing, switched the ignition on and it told me the roof wasn't in the correct position.

My boys are asleep up there at the moment so will have a mess in the morning but suspect I'll end up pulling fuses.

On a connected note, my parents came to take the roof down last week and it wouldn't respond, they were about to give up when my dad tried to start the engine while it was still connected to the 240v, the whole system had an epi, reset and the roof worked again.

I do wonder if you happen to want to use the roof and its sunk but hasn't had the 5 hourly check and readjust it just won't play ball.

Anyway, let's see what tomorrow brings...

So it's tomorrow... lights wouldn't work at all and no tick... key in ignition tried to lower roof and get the check roof position method, decide to lift roof, it goes up a smidge and all is well with the world again. A good start to the day

So it's tomorrow... lights wouldn't work at all and no tick... key in ignition tried to lower roof and get the check roof position method, decide to lift roof, it goes up a smidge and all is well with the world again. A good start to the day
It definitely sounds like there is an issue with the software where it barfs at the point it should be checking the roof position.
when you open it and it stops, see if it will go up a bit more, perhaps it’s not correctly presurised.

It looks to me like its not checking / adjusting the roof level and just letting it drop, I do wonder if the system gets confused if it drops to the intermediate level unnoticed. Hopefully all can be resolved with a software update, until them keepimg an eye on the operation of the roof lights seems to be the way forward which is no big deal as we use them daily for the boys.

One the way up, Does it run on a couple of seconds like the previous one does if you stop pressing the button after the tone of the pump changes?

If I understand you correctly it does, you press the button, the roof raises and the motor drones, it then seems to have finished raising and the motor changes tone for a few seconds then goes silent at which point you release the button and the image of the van has a green tick for the roof. Last night that tick was flashing, and the lights would switch on them immediately go out, this morning the tick had gone and the lights wouldn't work at all. From my perspective if part of the use involves checking the tick's still there once a day and if its gone raising the roof that's no big deal.

Fyi, keep an eye on your fridge symbol in the camper unit. That thing turned itself off 2 times the last weeks. My milk was Joghurt:D
We had that problem on our 2019 Cali, new fridge fitted under warranty.

Good thread, read with interest. Thank you 6.1 on order :thumb

Sooo, third night at second site, sure as eggs is eggs the roof lights stopped working, checked the green roof tick and its flashing, tried to raise it, no, lower it, no. Waited ten minutes and the green tick went out, tried to raise the roof, no, drop it... YES, raise it again, YES, all good again. Looks like the roof isnt checking the level and getting confused, much like the Duke of Yorks men when it it neither up nor down...

Looks like the self adjustment of the roof is as random as the charger charging the starter batteries?
I have never experienced a self adjustment of the roof in the 11 years I almost have my van.

Luckily the old, unreliable control panel doesn't make that much of a fuss when the roof isn't completely even.
As long as the panel doesn't detect roof closed, I will be able to lower and raise the roof again. Except this is not needed anymore for now, as my new roof pump seems to do it's job good.

That new control panel really needs a huge firmware update! But I think the software engineers are too busy trying to get the software ready for the ID3.

I really hope for you new owners that VW gets your update ready in the shortest possible time.

Roof dropped again during the period from Wednesday night to this (Friday) morning. It has been extremely hot, the van is in direct sun and the temperature cools significantly at night. No issues with dropping / raising it again this time as the tick had extinguished

When my van is in direct sunlight, I close my roof. As I am probably driving the van, or riding my bike, so no need for the roof to stay open.
I only let it open if there is not much sunshine, or the van is completely covered by the shade of a tree.
At night, or in the morning, when it's colder, the tension on the canvas is less, but when it heats up, the tension gets back. It's all physics. Hot fluids expand, cold fluids contract.
And if the rams get too hot, they hopefully now have some pressure release valve, so the oil gets back in the reservoir, instead of making the rams explode. That is why the roof drops on the side that gets the most heat.

The Control panel on the 6.1 now talks to a new special vehicle control unit that is supplied by 4 fuses. You could remove all 4 fuses and see if that power cycles the unit.
Fuses 5-8
View attachment 59052View attachment 59053
Hi Loz, thanks so much for this advice! I was stuck at the Baltic Sea shore in Poland with the same problem and you totally saved our vacation. Removing the four fuses worked twice for me (I had the same problem two days later again)!
Jobst

The Control panel on the 6.1 now talks to a new special vehicle control unit that is supplied by 4 fuses. You could remove all 4 fuses and see if that power cycles the unit.
Fuses 5-8
View attachment 59052View attachment 59053
Hia, I'm stuck in Italy with the roof open on my T6.1..... VW are useless, was going to try to remove and refit fuses5 to 8 but my fuses behind the steering wheel look different to the above diagram- see photo. Any help would be greatly appreciated.20200901_153555.jpg

Hia, I'm stuck in Italy with the roof open on my T6.1..... VW are useless, was going to try to remove and refit fuses5 to 8 but my fuses behind the steering wheel look different to the above diagram- see photo. Any help would be greatly appreciated.View attachment 65413
I think it's those 4 brown 25A fuses to the right next to the 646. Try removing them and see if the control panel goes off. You can't do much harm even if they are the wrong ones.

Back