Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Making downstairs bed in 5 + 2 configuration

VW Cali

VW Cali

Guest User
Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
First of all many thanks to Roy Ingleton at SMG Tonbridge, and as well Laine abd Martin for the new 66 reg Cali we picked up this morning.

They went through all the demos except one they could not manage. And this was making the downstairs bed.

Most of the Calis they sell are Oceans. So even though this 5 + 2 Beach was supposed to be their demonstrator before I bought it, this was not a common spec.

They felt to make the bed flat:

1. In 5 + 2 configuration, multiflex board must first be removed. Of course we did not try that.

2. If multiflex board is kept the 2 middle seats must be removed first. However, since we had already removed and attached one back, and boy they are heavy and awkward to lift even for man like me can lift 120 kg and do 10 chin ups with no problem, we decided not to try.

So that was one demo we did not do. But they took is through all the rest as much as they could in the 3 hours we were there.

Once back home we read the instruction manual and watched Youtube videos. In fact, it does appear that one should be able to make a flat bed even in 5 + 2 configurations and with multiflex board not removed.

Trying it though we found that the rear 3 seat bench seems to go no lower than 45-60°. Nothing is obstructing it, but seems to be somw safety catch that stops it from going flat.

We think it has nothing to do with 1 or 2 above, but some safety catch we have been unable to unlatch.

All experiences, opinions, expertise welcome.

Congrats with the new van. Sorry, can't help you with that one, beach owners speak up.

As far as I'm aware you just make it up as normal and then the 2 single seats are folded flat so the mattress can over them too. Presumably you have to sleep with your feet at this end as it doesn't sound very comfortable for your head - seeing as there will be gaps between the single seats.

Are you saying that you can't actually get the 3 seat bench to go flat? That's definitely not right. You should be to just pull the lever out and push the back of the bench down.

Have you watched this video?

ok, here goes:

1. put both flaps of the multiflex in the horizontal position - i.e. have the board in its widest position.
2. slacken the two thumb screws and move the miltiflex to its rear most position.
3. Slide the middle seat(s) as far forward as they go
4. Turn the middle seats so they are facing rearward
5. Keep the backs of the middle seats upright
6. Place a blanket over the rear edge of the middle seat bases to protect them from the metalwork under the bench seat in case you mess things up the first few times.
7. pull the pull chord under the middle drawer of the bench and pull it forward about half way
8. pull the handle in the centre of the bench and pull the base of the bench towards you (and up) while pushing back on the back (having remove the bench headrests)
9. The base comes towards you and up and over the base(s) of the middle seat(s).

(this allows you to keep the seats in but have the bed in the full length config shown at 2:02 - in the video above however he does this by removing rather than rotating the seats)

I hope I have understood your question properly. If not, please forgive me boring you with an overly detailed post..

Last edited:
As far as I'm aware you just make it up as normal and then the 2 single seats are folded flat so the mattress can over them too. Presumably you have to sleep with your feet at this end as it doesn't sound very comfortable for your head - seeing as there will be gaps between the single seats.

Are you saying that you can't actually get the 3 seat bench to go flat? That's definitely not right. You should be to just pull the lever out and push the back of the bench down.

Have you watched this video?

Great.

Many thanks. Watched this video a few times over this evening. I think, I was possibly pushing seat back while putting weight on the seat inadvertently.

This would stop it coming up. Interestingly the VW dealers had same issue but they put it down to incompatibility of multiflex board and two extra middle seats.

However, both the video you listed and further explanations here suggest I was doing something wrong.

Shall try it tomorrow again.

ok, here goes:

1. put both flaps of the multiflex in the horizontal position - i.e. have the board in its widest position.
2. slacken the two thumb screws and move the miltiflex to its rear most position.
3. Slide the middle seat(s) as far forward as they go
4. Turn the middle seats so they are facing rearward
5. Keep the backs of the middle seats upright
6. Place a blanket over the rear edge of the middle seat bases to protect them from the metalwork under the bench seat in case you mess things up the first few times.
7. pull the pull chord under the middle drawer of the bench and pull it forward about half way
8. pull the handle in the centre of the bench and pull the base of the bench towards you (and up) while pushing back on the back (having remove the bench headrests)
9. The base comes towards you and up and over the base(s) of the middle seat(s).

(this allows you to keep the seats in but have the bed in the full length config shown at 2:02 - in the video above however he does this by removing rather than rotating the seats)

I hope I have understood your question properly. If not, please forgive me boring you with an overly detailed post..

Brilliant explanation.

I think your 8 and 9 explain it. I have not been pulling up, just trying to push the seat back flat.

Shall try this again tomorrow.

Feel free to ping me a pm if you need any further help. Hope you enjoy the Beach - we love it and even after 4 months I still feel like it is my birthday.

Great.
I think, I was possibly pushing seat back while putting weight on the seat inadvertently.

That's probably the issue ... the base of the seat rises up as the back goes down, so putting your weight on the base will stop it reclining.

Brilliant explanation.

I had the same issue at SMG Tonbridge. I was told categorically that making the downstairs bed was not possible with the two extra seats and multiflex board. I told Martin that I thought he was mistaken.

It didn't really matter because we intend to sleep our two little boys crossways on the bench on cot mattresses and in sleeping bags without the multiflex. But it is nice to know that downstairs can be made into a massive (approx 2.4 x 1.5) bed, albeit with a gap between the two middle row seats.

I had the same issue at SMG Tonbridge. I was told categorically that making the downstairs bed was not possible with the two extra seats and multiflex board. I told Martin that I thought he was mistaken.

It didn't really matter because we intend to sleep our two little boys crossways on the bench on cot mattresses and in sleeping bags without the multiflex. But it is nice to know that downstairs can be made into a massive (approx 2.4 x 1.5) bed, albeit with a gap between the two middle row seats.

Aha, my two boys are 9 and 4, so tad too big for bench. So I need to figure out the bench.

Interesting that it was Martin who thought the same. They are actually very helpful. Likely just mistaken as most of their sales are Oceans.

I always thought that the only way to make a bed in 7 seater mode was to bend the latter part of the multiflex board down. So apparently this is not necessary? Interesting!
But there is very little 'living space' in the van in this config. You'd need an awning I guess

I always thought that the only way to make a bed in 7 seater mode was to bend the latter part of the multiflex board down. So apparently this is not necessary? Interesting!
But there is very little 'living space' in the van in this config. You'd need an awning I guess

We will be on the road in Europe for between 12 and 15 months with 2 children and 2 dogs. Our intention is to buy a Vango Galli Low to use as our living room and kitchen. The van will be our two bedrooms. We are hauling the two extra seats around with us so that when we book a home for the odd week or fortnight grandparents or aunts and uncles, or friends can fly out and stay with us, and we can use the van in MPV mode for excursions.

An interesting question.

Can the multi flrx board be bent down?

I shall let you know how I proceed. But off tobtake beating at tennis and country walk for now...

(BTW, if you remove the little black plasticky bits on rails the middle seats can be moved forward when not in use. Then no need to lift thrm out to creare more space. These can then be added back.

What is clear is that when in this position there is nothing obstructing the 3 seater bench from laying flat).

We were lucky - the guys at Citygate Wooburn Green are fantastic.

We use one middle eat (4 children). This means we have some floor space when in full bed mode - easy for changing and those getting upstairs via the sliding door. It also folds flat under the table by rotating it and sliding it forward a tad. This means we can sit round in the evening feeling we are in a proper camper. It also means there is some good floor space for a bundle of bedding (in a neat cube) behind the driver's seat when we are on the move.

We will be on the road in Europe for between 12 and 15 months with 2 children and 2 dogs. Our intention is to buy a Vango Galli Low to use as our living room and kitchen. The van will be our two bedrooms. We are hauling the two extra seats around with us so that when we book a home for the odd week or fortnight grandparents or aunts and uncles, or friends can fly out and stay with us, and we can use the van in MPV mode for excursions.
We're traveling with 3 boys who argue and fight a lot, so we really considered taking one middle seat to be able to separate them more. However, we also need a fridge and porta potti and some kitchen pod. By not having middle seats, we can use all of this with all windows and tail gate closed - a plus in cold or wet weather.
We also thought about awning but I'm glad we didn't take one, it takes up a lot of space and not having a wet tent to fold down in the rain is one of the core reasons we went for the cali over camping with car + tent. We still have the standard side awning in case of rain.

Depends a bit on your way of travel of course. If you spend 3-4 night in the same spot, it might be different. We drive a bit every day, there's too much to explore to stay for longer.

@VW Cali: yes half of the multiflex board can be bent down. It works fine, except that you lose some trunk depth. Thanks for the tip about the plastic pieces in the rails.. that can indeed make a coupe of cm difference.

I find myself mounting and unmounting the middle seats quite often. They're heavy but I manage on my own in about 10 minutes both seats (in or out) now.

Last edited:
We have found if you collapse the middle row seats, then rotate them 90 degrees, then push them as far fwd as possible, the bed will work...and give you extra length if you have lanky grown-ups downstairs (my brother is 6'6"!)

So while I was away during the day, the other half solved the problem exactly as advised here by many.

1. Multifkex board must be bent down.

2. No need to remove middle seats. Just fold and move as far forward as possible.

3. Bed! But other half says needs to be done v carefully. There is only apparently no more than a margin of 1-2mm according to her. So she has added little markers to help.

A great tip above about removing the one middle seat. Makes sense!

Clearly a lot for us to learn.

It is also clear the dark fabric picks up all kinds of dirt which cannot be brushed out. But we are getting the seats redone in leather in 2 weeks.

Thanks all.

You can achieve this without putting the flap o the multiflex down - i.e. retaining full length of the bed and boot space. The bed sits over the top of the middle seat.

You can achieve this without putting the flap o the multiflex down - i.e. retaining full length of the bed and boot space. The bed sits over the top of the middle seat.

Ah, that is very interesting.

We couldn't flatten the 3 seat bench without bending the multi flex down whike the two middle seats were still on rails but folded.

Superb info. A few others here seem to have same predicament as us.

Make sure the multiflex is as far back as possible, it should be over the load hooks and block the power outlet.
I spend one night with a friend with this setup, but I woulf never dream about doing it again. Bed takes much time and effort to setup and it leaves no floor space making changing clothes etc a nighmare.
I think the crispin family will re evaluate their plans above once the recive their van.

I think the crispin family will re evaluate their plans above once the recive their van.

We have about 5 months to evaluate from when we receive our van to our departure. As a result of this thread, I am already thinking that the bench plus one middle row seat might be a better option. We should, however, have a little more space as we intend to forgo the multiflex completely as the boys (ages now 16 months and 31 months) will sleep crossways.

I would say the multiflex is good to keep heavy items from flying into the passenger area in a crash.

So while I was away during the day, the other half solved the problem exactly as advised here by many.

1. Multifkex board must be bent down.

2. No need to remove middle seats. Just fold and move as far forward as possible.

3. Bed! But other half says needs to be done v carefully. There is only apparently no more than a margin of 1-2mm according to her. So she has added little markers to help.

A great tip above about removing the one middle seat. Makes sense!

Clearly a lot for us to learn.

It is also clear the dark fabric picks up all kinds of dirt which cannot be brushed out. But we are getting the seats redone in leather in 2 weeks.

Thanks all.
Hi.. Getting your seat upholstered into leathers? Where can this be done and is it costly?

Hi.. Getting your seat upholstered into leathers? Where can this be done and is it costly?

Yes, seats being done Wednesday to Friday.

Costly? All depends. Most firms will charge between 1 and 2 grand....

Let us see how it turns out. Personally, not only do I not like the dark fabric we have it is a magnet for dirt.

Back